1/8/11 Saturday What's Cooking Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good afternoon everyone:chef:

No cooking for me today ... we're meeting friends at a local Italian restaurant for dinner.

msmofet - wanted to thank you for the link to the confetti soup ... it looks delicious ... I think it will be on our menu for next week. I have yet to meet a soup I don't like ... lol;)

Good afternoon everyone:chef:

No cooking for me today ... we're meeting friends at a local Italian restaurant for dinner.

msmofet - wanted to thank you for the link to the confetti soup ... it looks delicious ... I think it will be on our menu for next week. I have yet to meet a soup I don't like ... lol;)
You're welcome. I hope you like it!! Post a review in that thread after you make it.

Have a pot of beans on the stove with the hambone from earlier this week. Maybe some cornbread with it.

jabbur, what's your bean recipe? I have a ham bone i need to use up and wanted something other than split-pea soup again.

I make a similar soup whenever I roast a turkey (with wildrice stuffing). I don't add the pimento, I use the leftover gravy in the soup, toss in some dried cranberries, and mushrooms, leftover stuffing, mashed potatoes, and use evap. milk. It is very tasty. But then, wildrice makes everything tasty <g>. It's liquid turkey dinner <g>.

We're having a Danish dish called "Pied pot". One frying pan and then everything into one pot. Ground beef, garlic, onions, paprika, allspice, cayenne, canned tomatoes, stock, brown rice (that's our variation, the original recipe is for white rice), frozen corn and peas thrown in near the end. Colourful and yummy.

I was in the city all day running errands (a 3-hour round trip drive). I fought traffic and sloppy winter driving conditions, I'm too tired to cook. Good thing DH is at the other house tonight, so I'm bach'ing it--chili topped with a poached egg and grated cheddar cheese. Tomorrow's menu, however, is roast beef with gjetost and lingonberry gravy, greek oven-fried potatoes (I'll post my Greek friend's recipe if anyone is interested--haven't checked to see if this recipe / similar recipe is already in the recipe section--I'll do that before duplicating a recipe), and veggies--probably 4 or 5 since potatoes aren't a veggie according to my DH and he insists no meal is complete without 4-5 veggies.

Don't be sorry. I was going to start a thread to see what others were doing with their scattered recipes.

I like my newest method of copying/pasting & printing a recipe I'm pretty sure I will try.

By printing it out, like I did with Confetti Soup, I have plenty of room to make notes of how I made each batch and how they turned out. It's starting to work. I have a 1/2" notebook with my Avatar in full size on the front. I have several recipes with notes that I'll be making again and again.

Another thread idea is to start a clean up of clipped recipes. They need to be read once in a while, and maybe someday used. I was thinking something like posting a basic recipe and see what others think would make them special.

I scan mine, store them on my HD and copy them on a separate memory stick. This way, I can get rid of all the little scraps of paper (I have my mom's and my grandma's, so scanning made sense). I park my laptop on the kitchen table, load the recipe and go from there. Works for me. I have separate folders for categories and also separate folders for LCBO's food and drink issues. I was able to donate these to a local thrift store and got the 10 years' worth of issues out of my life <g>. Hopefully, my computer doesn't die and my memory stick doesn't fail <g>. Oh, and I send the family ones to my brother, so he has a copy of them as well...

As of this morning the dinner plans are for kielbases links wrapped in crescent rolls (Polish pigs in a blanket), baked beets, and pierogie.

Yum--pierogies. How do you make your pierogie dough? How do you do your filling?

Mine is 1 part sour cream to 1.5 parts flour. My filling is mashed potatoes (10#), grated cheddar cheese, sauteed onions, and bacon (I spread it out between pieces of paper towel and roll it with the rolling pin to break it up once it's fried). I usually make the filling the day before. I'm looking for a "drop-dead delicious" pierogie filling recipe using sauerkraut...haven't like the recipes for the same I've found on the Internet.

K.

jabbur, what's your bean recipe? I have a ham bone i need to use up and wanted something other than split-pea soup again.

Lima beans, 15 bean, are two of my favorites. Home made lima beans, large, regular or baby cook up in 2-3 hours. Lovely flavor, nothing like canned or frozen.:chef:

This is my friend Kat's oven-fried potatoes recipe. She is from Larissa, Greece and grew up in a family that had an olive orchard (best olive oil I've ever experienced). I'm going to try it with some of my Russian Blue potatoes instead of the Yukon Golds.

6-8 med. potatoes, peeled and cut in half
1 c water (more or less)
1/2 c virgin olive oil
2-3 T fresh greek oregano
sea salt
pepper

1. Place the potatoes cut side down in a pyrex baking dish (single layer).
2. Pour the water and olive oil over them (liquid should be 2/3 of the depth of the pan)
3. Sprinkle generously with chopped greek oregano, sea salt, and pepper.
4. Bake at 350 for 1-1/2 hours until tender when pierced with a fork. (You may need to add more water--check periodically)

Very nice side to roast, etc. And, they can go in when the roast cooking--not when you put in the roast, but adjusting the timing accordingly--adjust the time if you roast your roast at 325.

K.

BTW, my favorite color is purple, so I like purple foods. I think I'll scrub the potatoes and leave the skins on...

The Russian (aka Siberian) blue potatoes have deep purple skins and a marbled purple and white interior. We planted these for the first time last year. Although the yield was not as good re: # of tubers/plant as Yukon Golds or Kennebecs, they have a nice texture and make a nice addition to a potato salad and are a nice potato to toss in the deep fryer for french fries. Hope they are nice in this recipe as well...or maybe I'll mix it up and include some Kennebecs/Yukon Golds and these...hmmm...

Last edited:
I'm about to start making burritos. I wish I hadn't used up the last of the sour cream the other night! I wish I had some of my salsa too--James's is too mild and sweet for me. Oh well, they will still be good! It will be my last meal with meat and cheese until Monday the 31st, so I wanted something that I really like. :cool: I would have preferred tostadas, but we didn't get to the store today, but I love burritos just about as much.

:)Barbara

chicken sausages and mashed potatoes. The potatoes baked in the oven for 10 minutes or so to give them a nice crust.

Chicken fried steak w/ mashed potatoes and gravy, alfresco bean salad and banana cake for dessert.

chicken sausages and mashed potatoes. The potatoes baked in the oven for 10 minutes or so to give them a nice crust.
When I make sour cream and chive mashed potatoes (I just mash them with sour cream instead of milk and add chives) I always bake it for 10-15 minutes. I love the crust it gives them, and they stay hot a lot longer. :cool:

Dave, I just soak the beans (great northern) overnight then drain and add chicken broth to cover the beans and hambone. Stir in some onion and minced garlic. Cook forever. I like it when the beans are mushy and the broth had thickened. I usually add any leftover ham as well. We like it meaty. You can add salt and pepper but I don't until serving. DH doesn't need the extra salt. What's in the ham is usually enough. DH doesn't like pepper so I just sprinkle it on mine when I serve it up.

WOW!! I just got light headed and the shakes. I tested my sugar and it dropped down to 70 and I am usually between 90 & 120. I had a snack of some Fritos and the shakes are gone. Scared the jeepers outta me and I got the shakes, light head & run on jabber mouth. All are signs for me that I am either high or low.

You need to be carefull about that.

I am going to be slicing flank steak thin on the bias then marinate in oil (probably a combo of EVOO & grapeseed or flaxseed Oil), fresh grated garlic & ginger, soy sauce, hot chili oil & ground peppercorns, then use it to make the beef and broccoli stir fry. Plain or fried rice on the side.

That sounds good!

I bought my first flank steak a week ago or so. I finally found a store semi-nearby that carries them. It will be my first ever flank steak. Half of it is in the freezer and the other half is marinating with some veggies. Everything will be hitting the grill tonight and getting wrapped in a tortilla... or three.

I love flank steak. Just don't over cook it or it get tough. I have been looking for it here but can't find it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom