12/17/10 TGIFriday What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I braised the pork shoulder in sherry and water last night and stuck it in the fridge.

The bottom third of it cooked directly in the braising liquid, so the meat from that side of the roast will have a rich flavor.

I'm stripping the roast and separating sections for different bags for the freezer. I'm going to marinate some shredded pork in taco seasoning and a can of stewed diced tomatoes. I'll probably put it in the freezer so it will be yummy for tacos or burritos later on.

I'll take that bottom braised meat and taste test it for ideas. I've never done this with sherry before, but the broth tastes really good. Not sweet, but really rich.

So that's the way my day is headed. How about you?

Last edited:
I gonna try a new cake recipe, based on genoise and round chocolates :)
I'm not sure about the recipe yet !

I'm going to make egg foo yung and sesame noodles. Hope I can pull this off. Two first time recipes in the same meal.

frenchy...i had to look up "genoise" but it was well worth the effort...yum! You and jabbur are certainly adventurous today.

I marinated a flank steak overnight in Good Seasons Italian Dressing that I had cut across the top in a crisscross pattern about 1/8" deep. Tonite I'll quickly sear it on both sides and finish it off in the oven at 350 for 7 min. I'm serving it with Carmelized Balsamic Red Onions and bright green Haricots Verts (french green beans).

I'm going to make Sam's Brandied chicken tonight. Not sure on the sides or the salad yet. I'm leaning toward a killer coleslaw.

Were headed out to cut our tree, in the rain. It's storming here.Get some shopping done. I'll make a casserole, bake a loaf of french bread before we go. Heat and eat when we get home.

HO-HO-HO!! :LOL:

Munky.

Good question. I won't know until I arrive at the place I am performing at. I know there is a restaurant across the street and lots of times when we play Xmas parties, they feed the band. So, I'm not sure, yet.
I brought a pizza home from work, for my wife and daughter to have tonight, 'cus the cooks gone and R U N N O F T.:LOL:

Last edited:
probably just scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese, sausage and toast. some cranberry sauce on the side. or a homemade sub with smoked turkey and cheese. have some yummy coleslaw left.

I'll be having sauted chicken livers with country gravy (white sauce w/dill) and seasoned greens.

The pork shoulder ended up with 3 quart bags of meat (each one enough for 4 servings of a main dish) 1 gallon bag with the meaty bone for beans, and 1 gallon bag with skin and fat for whatever.

I figure a minimum of 16 dinners. Not bad. I won't be needing pork for a while!

Had to report on my adventures in Asian cooking tonight. The egg foo yung went over well. I think next time I may cut back on the mustard powder in the sauce but otherwise it was a success. I also made a batch of sesame noodles. I think they came out good. I enjoyed them even though they left my lips numb! And I only used the regular chili oil. Can't imagine using the hot stuff! Unfortunately, DH didn't care for them. Looks like I'll be eating a lot of noodles!

We had corned beef soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Glad to have something quick, 'cause I'm having a dinner party tomorrow and we are cleaning and organizing and cooking. I am pooped.

We had the resident Christmas party today, so I ended up grazing along with all of them. Lots of food and fun. We had a good time! You should see their faces light up when Santa shows up and hands out gifts.

Broccoli rabe sautéed in EVOO & grapeseed oil with fresh garlic, sea salt, ground peppercorns and red pepper flakes. We also had frozen pizza (no pic). They had a pretty good sale this week Ellio’s box of 27 frozen slices of pizza for $4.99.

img_948961_0_5c1dc45f62c933cb0b6e33e0e61b9c5e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom