2/14/2019 - Valentine's Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We’ll definitely NOT be going out tonight! I’ve got a couple of frozen cod fillets that I’m thinking of making a Spanish-inspired (not Mexican) tomato sauce for. Haven’t had fish in quite a while.

It's pouring down rain today but we've been invited to walk across the street for an afternoon neighborhood cocktail party. If we're hungry when we get back home we'll have last night's delicious leftovers.

Sitting here in the office at the deli waiting for gf to get back from an emergency trip to buy a new cash register..our POV system crashed for the last time and we can't move forward without some kind of machine..going to spend the rest of the night programming it..maybe some take out on the way home...or canned soup..
..or maybe gf will be too tired to fight me on boiling up some hot dogs..she hates them..I never get to eat them..

Last edited:
For my handsome Valentine :heart:,
I'm making one of his favorite meals

PIZZA!!!

56875-albums1045-picture7835.jpg

[file photo, this is a pie I made previously, but they come out the same way every time!]

I have MANY bad stories of Valentine's Day dinner eating out. Overpriced, cold, crappy, rushed food. That's after you waited an hour or more for your "reserved" table.

But there'es been a few good ones as well.

Like when Don Pepe's in Newark ran out of their normal 1 1/4 to 2 pound lobsters, and it was late so they served my wife a 3+ pounder for the same price as the small one on special.

The claws alone were a great leftover meal, although you needed a ball-peen hammer to open them.

Or when we made it to Belleayre Mountain in the Catskills during a snowstorm for a skiing trip, and ate at the Pine Hill Arms near our rented cabin. Since almost no one was able to make it through the blizzard, the staff all got together and the chef made a bunch of fantastic dishes for everyone to enjoy together. I still remember and want to get the recipe for his carrot soup.

Anyway, since I had to work early, we are celebrating V-Day tomorrow night. It's a good thing since the gift I ordered for my wife was delayed due to this past weeks storms, so it won't be here until tomorrow.

I bought the ingredients for some veggie side dishes, but I have to ask the DW what she would like for me to cook. I'm hoping lobsters.

DH surprised me tonight with Langoustines cooked in butter and garlic over Angel Hair pasta (my favorite) and corn on the cob (close to my favorite). He is a SWEETHEART!!!!!

Pouring down rain almost all day today! I love the rain, but it's been so dark inside all day. :ermm::LOL: Dinner was pretty much a snacking tray this afternoon - egg salad, crackers, ham, cheese, olives, blueberries, and sliced apples. And a movie or two.

Looks good, kgirl and CG!

Last edited:
When I was married, we cooked dinner at home. We had to, after I spent a whole month's income on diamonds and sapphires, as was expected. Luckily, she enjoyed cooking with me. Well, I cooked and she baked. She certainly could bake with the best of the best.

As for tonight, I was busy all day, and stopped at a Mexican place I'd never tried, and had some pretty good carnitas tacos. The the bowl of charro beans on the side were excellent.

I sat at the bar with the other divorced guys. :LOL:

I stopped at the new Asian grocery store in town (Ranch 99 -- a chain), and didn't buy anything. But, I will be back for some of their cuts of Wagyu beef. Expensive, but not as much as what I've seen elsewhere. They also had fish swimming in big tanks. Can't get any fresher than that. I need to bring my rod and reel next time.

CD

Pouring down rain almost all day today! I love the rain, but it's been so dark inside all day. :ermm::LOL: Dinner was pretty much a snacking tray this afternoon - egg salad, crackers, ham, cheese, olives, blueberries, and sliced apples. And a movie or two.

It rained here too for most of the day. Very unusual for the Las Vegas valley! Too cold to really enjoy it though, and I’m thinking (hoping) the pups will dry out by tomorrow...

Chick flicks? If so, hopefully something with Malissa McCarthy. No sappy stuff. MM rocks!

CD

Back
Top Bottom