2013 Sunday kind of love (supper)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cowboy beans casserole and a pan of jalapeno cornbread. Makes enough to share with any whales in our vicinity. Baking in the oven took the chill off the house too.

By about the 3rd day of this, it ought to thicken up and i can make some kind of tacos. Looking forward to it.

Present company excluded of course, right? :LOL:

I'm going to make this Sam the Cooking Guy - Mexican Bruschetta
No cilantro, but I do have some fresh mint and oregano. It will be a Greek influenced bruschetta :ermm:

You mean okra, right? Or did you misspell killer whale? :LOL:
Tell us you're not having orca stew for dinner (even though it's probably pretty good :ermm:
That's what I was thinking too. I don't know how good orca would taste. We don't usually eat carnivores, especially fish eaters. Ever try merganser? My ex shot one because he didn't realize what kind of duck it was. So he cooked it. He said it was pretty awful. :ohmy:

Merganser? I've never eaten any wild duck, but don't they all eat fish if they can catch them?

Merganser? I've never eaten any wild duck, but don't they all eat fish if they can catch them?
According to Ducks Unlimited Canada:

"What do ducks eat?

That depends on the duck’s species and life stage. Different species have different diets. As well, ducks often eat different things at different ages, depending on what their bodies need.

"For example, mallards will eat a variety of foods, such as seeds, roots and stems of bulrushes, millet and smartweed, as well as waste grain like barley from farmers fields. They’ve also been known to eat mosquito larvae, midges and mayfly nymphs.

"A different example is the common merganser. These birds usually eat minnows, game fish, trout, salmon and some amphibians."

Interesting.
All I know about ducks is they need water with their food.

I've always wanted to bring a shephard's crook down by the lake and snag me one of the Canadian geese that live here all summer. I think they would taste like bread crusts and popcorn and what all they get fed by the neighborhood. I suspect there are city laws that prohibit this as their population seldom decreases until the latest date they can fly south.

I've always wanted to bring a shephard's crook down by the lake and snag me one of the Canadian geese that live here all summer. I think they would taste like bread crusts and popcorn and what all they get fed by the neighborhood. I suspect there are city laws that prohibit this as their population seldom decreases until the latest date they can fly south.

I think Canadian geese have accents. Canada geese make their home in both Canada and US.

The breed is actually Canada geese, not Canadian geese :LOL:

Last edited:
Canadian geese taste like maple syrup and back bacon. Ontario ducks fast like duck you would get in a restaurant. When I lived on Vancouver Island I couldn't eat the duck. It tasted too much like fish.

Help! I'm having tri-tip roast, but I've started it without an end game plan:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/best-way-to-roast-a-tri-tip-87380.html#post1307240

I'll appreciate if anybody wants to contribute suggestions/advice to my topic.

Otherwise I live and die by internal temperature from a remote reading thermometer. My remote has never failed me.

I have a potato in there (e.g. baked potato) and I guess I'll nuke some frozen veggies.

One thing I'm looking forward to, all the "after the roast" goodies I can make, particularly considering this bargain roast (barely $10+ for 2-2/3 pounds) and no company tonight ensures I'll have tons (exaggeration) of cooked beef for other recipes.

You can be sure there will be some beef enchiladas and beef crepes in my near future.

I'm pretty sure there is a hunting season on Canada geese in Minnesota, although I don't know a single person who hunts them or has cooked one. If they were good to eat, you would think you would hear more about them.

There have been a few times I've been tempted to grab the pellet gun and quietly take one out. Have you ever been awoken from a dead sleep by the sound of a gigantic honker crash landing on the roof? They make quite a commotion.

Those are the times I think most about eating one. :LOL:

Last edited:
Hunters don't often brag about their food. They just shoot it and cook it and eat it, and you're fortunate if you get invited for dinner.

If not for this I would have never had venison or sage hen. I wish I knew more hunters.

Well, I grew up in a hunting family (my grandfather and his brother even owned the sporting goods store in our small rural community) and have plenty of hunter friends. Believe me, when hunters gather in the same room there is bragging galore. ;)

But I've never heard any of them talk about bagging a Canada goose. Ducks? Yes. Pheasant? Yes. Just not honkers. I might have to ask around about this.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking too. I don't know how good orca would taste. We don't usually eat carnivores, especially fish eaters. Ever try merganser? My ex shot one because he didn't realize what kind of duck it was. So he cooked it. He said it was pretty awful. :ohmy:
Mergansers taste very fishy. Yuck. Because they often hang with mallards, sometimes my dad/grandpa/uncle/cousins would bring home some Mergansers they'd shot while out duck hunting. Wild mallard is very good, IMO. There is another duck they'd sometimes bring home that tasted muddy...I can't remember which one that was, it has been a long time since I've eaten wild duck...sigh.

I'm pretty sure there is a hunting season on Canada geese in Minnesota, although I don't know a single person who hunts them or has cooked one. If they were good to eat, you would think you would hear more about them.

There have been a few times I've been tempted to grab the pellet gun and quietly take one out. Have you ever been awoken from a dead sleep by the sound of a gigantic honker crash landing on the roof? They make quite a commotion.

Those are the times I think most about eating one. :LOL:
It is duck and goose season here. I'm hoping one of my friends bags too many geese/duck and thinks of me. I have eaten Canadian goose. The last one was when a friend's husband went hunting in ND and brought me one (I was living in Fargo). I sat on the floor of my apartment and had my dad on the phone coaching me how to clean it...

It is duck and goose season here. I'm hoping one of my friends bags too many geese/duck and thinks of me. I have eaten Canadian goose. The last one was when a friend's husband went hunting in ND and brought me one (I was living in Fargo). I sat on the floor of my apartment and had my dad on the phone coaching me how to clean it...

How was it?

We are still having the chicken soup. DA's cold is very much better, but we need to finish this.

We do not waste food. Gwen does this sometimes, and it bothers me very much. I shall not say this to her because I love her very much and I do not want to hurt her.

Mamma and Papa and DA are very, very strict of food. To waste food is very bad to my family.

I see the classmates throw away good food sometimes! I think of those portions thrown away and the poor people who would want this food and it makes me sad.

Do any of you feel as of this? Perhaps it is just of me and thinking of the poor people.

With love,
~Cat

Hi, Cat. No, you're not the only one. Unfortunately, too many Americans do waste food. I try not to.

I made chicken cacciatore tonight. DH and I aren't fond of mushrooms, so I used red, green and yellow bell peppers and a jar of Classico pasta sauce jazzed up with garlic, thyme and sage. We had it over linguine with garlic bread.

Hi, Cat. No, you're not the only one. Unfortunately, too many Americans do waste food. I try not to.

I made chicken cacciatore tonight. DH and I aren't fond of mushrooms, so I used red, green and yellow bell peppers and a jar of Classico pasta sauce jazzed up with garlic, thyme and sage. We had it over linguine with garlic bread.

Thank you, GotGarlic! Your supper sounds very nice! All of you are such very good cooks.

With love,
~Cat

No duck-duck-goose at our place. I was going to make Hoppin' John but we were hungry when we got home from church. I told Himself he could have yesterday's leftover Chinese and I would make a grilled cheese with tomato for myself. Well he decided that grilled cheese sounded good! I was going to suggest a grilled cheese with bacon, then figured I'd make two small BLTs. Cooked and ate in courses: 1) BLTs to start, then a small salad each, then we split two different grilled cheese - one with tomato and one with bread and butter pickles. It's been damp all day and I'm still not warm - think I'll make a cup of homemade hot chocolate. :yum:

Wonderful sounding dinners. :chef: I had homemade chili this evening, with a side of jalapeno cheddar corn bread. So yummy. Should be even better tomorrow. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom