2017 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few weeks back, this adorable little girl came to our door. She was fundraising for her Soft Ball team and would we like to buy some cookie dough, HUH? :huh:
I'd never heard of this before, her older teenaged sister was with her and explained that it's pre-portioned frozen dough that you just toss in the oven frozen and bake. HMMM
She showed me the list of varieties available and I spied Snickerdoodles, I've never had a Snickerdoodle before, ok, I'm in.
Yesterday evening, after supper, our door bell rang... "who's THAT?!" DH yells from the den...
Our Cookies!
View attachment 26367
I had just turned the oven off not long before (we had Meatloaf and roasted Potatoes btw) so I turned it right back on.
View attachment 26368
I like the convenience of the take-n-bake from frozen concept, but BOY HOWDY! Those were really sweet.
DH kept asking me, "what's this called again?" He had never had a Snickerdoodle either.
I think I might be baking these all off and taking them next door, there's ALOT ;)

I've made cookies before (from scratch) that you roll into a log and put in the freezer to firm for smooth (ish) even slicing. You can also freeze them if you want to do the baking on another day. "frozen concept"
now I just need to find a good gluten free/dairy free/low sugar alternative for this. (eh, or I've been lazy lately?? Comeon, MCRX!! :P I forget what you all are calling me, I've been away too long! lol)

Once upon a time there was a department store in Boston called Jordan Marsh. It eventually got swallowed up by Macys and disappeared. In its hay day, its bakery made the most extraordinary blueberry muffins. They were famous in New England and people came from miles around. When my mom worked in Boston, she would sometimes bring home a box for us. Always a special treat.

I searched and found the recipe online. Actually I found several versions so I compared them and found one that was the common denominator.

I made those muffins today.

One of the versions of the recipe recommended using paper cupcake liners as the blueberries made the muffins stick to the pan. I chose not to do that because everyone knows page liners are for cupcakes, not muffins. Besides, the muffin tin was very slippery. BIG MISTAKE! I ended up with six muffin tops and six muffin bottoms.

Still, they were delicious and I do sometimes learn from my mistakes so look forward to six whole muffins next time.

Last edited:
:LOL: Double your pleasure, double your fun! Plus you cut down on calories.

The time or two I baked bb muffins, I used cupcake papers, because, what else would I use them for?

Last edited:
Oatmeal Bread, Take Two

First, let me say that we do, indeed, have an acceptable loaf of bread. :clap:

You know how there are times you think the Baking Gods are telling you to buy your bread? I got all the ingredients measured and dumped into the bread machine correctly, then started her up. Sounded fine at first during the "whir-quiet-whir-quiet" pattern. But when it started into its full churn, it was squeaking. :huh: I figured I hadn't pushed the mixing box down onto the turning thingy, so I pushed and..."squeak, squeak". Maybe I didn't push the paddle...the mixing paddle! *gasp* It was still on the shelf where I store the bread machine! :ohmy: I pulled the mixing box out of the machine, fished around with my long finger (how appropriate :LOL: ) until I found the post for the mixing paddle, set the paddle on it properly...and started all over again with everything in its place.

After the appropriate amounts of time for the machine to work, the bread to rise and bake, and for me to poke and sniff, all was right in my little world.

Once upon a time there was a department store in Boston called Jordan Marsh. It eventually got swallowed up by Macys and disappeared. In its hay day, its bakery made the most extraordinary blueberry muffins. They were famous in New England and people came from miles around. When my mom worked in Boston, she would sometimes bring home a box for us. Always a special treat.

I searched and found the recipe online. Actually I found several versions so I compared them and found one that was the common denominator.

I made those muffins today.

One of the versions of the recipe recommended using paper cupcake liners as the blueberries made the muffins stick to the pan. I chose not to do that because everyone knows page liners are for cupcakes, not muffins. Besides, the muffin tin was very slippery. BIG MISTAKE! I ended up with six muffin tops and six muffin bottoms.

Still, they were delicious and I do sometimes learn from my mistakes so look forward to six whole muffins next time.

So which recipe did you settle on? I still have enough blueberries from Maine to make a pan of JM muffins.

Andy, when I worked at Stone & Webster, we always got all our birthday cakes from JM bakery.

Here it is, Addie. Some versions did not add vanilla and there were minor differences in the amount of sugar.

JORDAN MARSH BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

½ C Butter
1 C Sugar
2 Ea Eggs
1½ tsp Vanilla Extract
2 C Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
½ C Milk
2½ C Blueberries
3 Tb Sugar (for muffin tops)

Preheat the oven to 375ºF.

Place paper muffin liners into muffin tin(s) and butter the top surface of the muffin tin. (12 standard size or 6 large size)

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Mix in the eggs one at a time.

Mix in the vanilla.

In a second bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.

Mix half the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture followed by half the milk. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk.

Mash a half-cup of the blueberries and mix them into the batter by hand.

Add the whole blueberries and mix them in by hand.

Fill the muffin cups to the top and sprinkle the sugar onto the muffins.

Bake for 30-35 minutes. Place the tin on a cooling rack to cool.

Store uncovered so the muffins won't get too moist.

Thank you so much Andy. My granddaughter will be coming down at the end of the month from Maine. Guess what I am going to have baked fresh from the oven when she arrives. I will make sure she has the recipe goes back with her. But first I will have to make a test batch to make sure they will please her.

Last edited:
I am testing out different recipes on Vegan grain free kladdkaka. It has been interesting.

Thank you so much Andy. My granddaughter will be coming down at the end of the month from Maine. Guess what I am going to have baked fresh from the oven when she arrives. I will make sure she has the recipe goes back with her. But first I will have to make a test batch to make sure they will please her.

Addie, the recipe makes a dozen regular-sized muffins (one tin) or six of the big ones (one tin).

The bread machine and I made a loaf of country white bread today. While the machine was doing the kneading and first rising things, I decided I had time to pop a Pillsbury quick bread into the toaster oven. I jazzed up a pumpkin bread mix with golden raisins and walnuts - the ones I chopped for my murdered supposed-to-be from-scratch banana nut bread. :(

I just might be getting the hang of making bread regularly. Who'd thunk?

I made the filling for the wild blueberry lattice pie last night. But I couldn't stand any longer to make the crust.

So today, when I went into baking drawer to get my baking cloth, I noticed the tartlet tins that I bought the at a yard sale more than ten years ago. So tartlets it was. I also have a set other tartlet pans that I am going to be using in the very near future. I love to collect strange and odd baking equipment.

Pirate ate one, and I gave my next door neighbor. I might eat one tonight after I check my sugar. If it is low enough, I will pig out on it.

Brad* and I made and baked a loaf of French bread. (*I decided to name my bread machine. I figure since Himself names our computers and hand-held devices, I can name my appliances. :LOL: )

And then this happened:

Attachments

• 20170322_220314A.jpg
    20170322_220314A.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 94

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom