2019 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those look and sound delicious, kgirl! I will definitely try this recipe, and thank you for sharing it. For now, I went ahead and made up the recipe for Vanishing, as that is what my family asked for. :ermm::LOL: I use golden raisins and swap out half of them for craisins, and add some finely chopped pecans, so it's a little doctored up. They're in the oven right now, hopefully they'll be good. I know I shouldn't really doctor up a baking recipe and I'm certainly NOT a baker...but these have turned out good before so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :LOL:

Photos please?

Sure will. It'll be tomorrow morning, though. I still have half a bowl of cookie dough to portion out and bake.... :ermm::LOL:

I finally had a chance to turn the pie dough I made a couple of days ago into a small blueberry pie. I even had some leftover dough so I made some dough pinwheels, too. :yum: I'd forgotten how good they are.
IMG_20190127_214037406.jpgIMG_20190127_215231403.jpg

I made some pretzel crust focaccia, which came out very good, although it rose too much. See the pics below and compare.

8D50E752-236F-456C-B3CA-CBB91EACE5D3.jpg

The crumb is dense and moist. Given that, it’s oddly crumbly.

F3500B76-09FF-4E8A-8034-C5380CBD014D.jpg

And here is the pic from the recipe. Please note that it’s nowhere near as puffed up as mine.

3142FE8D-C73C-41AF-9C11-784D7ADA2E07.jpg

I’m gonna make slider rolls with this recipe next time. I really like the pretzel crust! I’d really like to get that nice “thin” bread though. Any suggestions?

I'm guessing you let it rise too long before baking. The time given in the recipe is just a guideline. If it's risen enough before the time is up, go ahead and continue with the recipe.

There are several possible causes for crumbly bread. Check here and see if any of these seems to be what happened: https://www.thespruceeats.com/help-my-homemade-bread-is-too-crumbly-4153594

Let me tell y'all, those CopyCat Starbucks Bran Muffins
were so much better the next day!! I'll make them again.

DSC00909.jpg

DSC00910.jpg

DSC00914.jpg

Today I made KAF No-Knead 100% Whole Wheat Bread.
This may not be the prettiest loaf,
but DANG!!!
Its delicious!
I used freshly squeezed Orange Juice
and Molasses... boy howdy doody!

IF and I emphasize IF,
there's any bread left tomorrow,
DH has requested Club House Sandwiches
with a bowl of Soup for dinner :chef:
Okey-dokey!!!

I baked a batch of cranberry muffins from a box mix, adding in lots of walnuts. I also made a from-scratch wheat bread. When we were back home at Christmas, I remembered to hunt down both cracked wheat and wheat flakes. Found them both at the Amish bulk food store. This loaf of wheat bread used the wheat flakes, and is it good. Half gone in just one day. :ermm:

I had to make something to treat myself today. I rarely make brownies for myself, but I'd rather have these than a cake for my BD. I told everyone to stay home, or go straight home from work - the weather was terrible the last two days, with snow and ice all over.

Amazingly, I only ate two of these, which I think is a first! The rest are frozen, though, of course, they are edible frozen solid. :yum:

Triple Fudge Brownies

2 oz unsweetened chocolate
6 oz semisweet chocolate
6 oz butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temp
1 c unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
6 oz toasted chopped walnuts
1 cup dark chocolate chips
4 tsp expresso powder (optional)
or 3 tsp orange zest (optional)

A. Melt butter and chocolate together in about a 3 qt bowl. Preheat oven to 350°, and butter a 9x13 baking pan, or line with foil.

B. Whisk together to blend well, then whisk in the sugar, followed by the eggs, one at a time. Whisk in the salt, expresso, and vanilla extract. Fold in the flour, followed by the nuts and chips. Spread evenly in pan.

C. Bake 25-30 min., or until toothpick comes out almost clean. Cool before cutting.

OMG that smells good!!!

Butter and chocolate with sugar added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Eggs added by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Expresso powder added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Flour folded in, now the nuts. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ready to bake. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished brownies. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Those look yummy. I have vanilla bean ice cream. I'll be right there, Dave. ;) On second thought, Himself is already asleep. He'd be mad if I didn't bring him along. :LOL:

SO does this regularly. She also adds a handful of dried cranberries. These are among my favorite muffins.
Extra cranberries are a good idea. Every once in a great while, I'll add about a half can of mandarin oranges. I use the juice from the can instead of milk, and cut the orange slices in half and make sure they're well drained.

I’ve got no-knead bread dough rising, and I’m making cheese-filled pretzel bites tonight. Too bad I’ve run out of cheddar; I’ll have to stuff them with Monterey jack. :(

I’m very pleased with my pretzel bites! This is the second batch. I didn’t bake the first batch long enough, so they’re a little pale and just a bit doughy, but still delicious.

7C4CD0A2-D711-4B5B-9D3A-937CF7D7EA60.jpg

Back
Top Bottom