2020 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another batch of Joey's cast iron skillet dinner rolls as part of dinner tonight.

Attachments

• 409FF6AA-128A-4ABF-9B04-2D9E62A8A9F3_1_201_a.jpg
    409FF6AA-128A-4ABF-9B04-2D9E62A8A9F3_1_201_a.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 129
I made quick danish to go with supper tonight. A tube of crescent rolls, a little cream cheese mixed with a touch of sugar, and fresh fruit. Blackberries were only 99¢ at Aldi on Friday, so that's the winning fruit!

IMG_20200602_194438374.jpg

Andy, it was my first time making this dessert in decades. The original is in a grocery store cookbook that I gave away - along with the other 15(?) books in the collection and the holder for them. I figured I'd never make it again since the cream cheese base was made with Dream Whip, something I never buy. I ran across a recipe for a stabilized cream cheese/whipped cream base. The crust was tough (I baked it; I was probably just supposed to chill it), the filling was loose, the glaze on the berries was too thick.

It. Was. Delicious! If you lived closer, I'd bring you a big piece for you and your SO. I think I'm going to have to try this again, with a few little modifications.

I had six black bananas sitting on top of the fridge, so today I baked a 9 x 13 banana cake and a banana bread. I frosted the cake with peanut butter buttercream frosting (I call it Elvis' birthday cake) and froze the banana bread because I still have half a loaf of sourdough cinnamon raisin bread to finish.

Corn Muffins! My breakfast options just expanded!

Attachments

• D9DA04BA-B799-4C02-984F-DA8C9119CBE8_1_201_a.jpg
    D9DA04BA-B799-4C02-984F-DA8C9119CBE8_1_201_a.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 82
I'm a volunteer test cook for America's Test Kitchen :chef: Yesterday, I tested a recipe for buttermilk blueberry biscuits prepared in a slightly different way than the usual - in a baking dish instead of individually. The flavor was good, although I *really* wanted to add some Penzeys Pie Spice :yum: But I made it as written. Had some for breakfast. Good stuff.
2020-06-07-23-49-22.jpg

Last edited:
Hamburger buns, out of necessity.

Attachments

• 416D9C8E-E9DA-4551-A74A-A58DB4C46813_1_105_c.jpg
    416D9C8E-E9DA-4551-A74A-A58DB4C46813_1_105_c.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 95
Interesting! Would like to know more about this. Are you a subscriber? How often do you get recipes to test? Is there a quota that you need to fill or you get dropped from the list?
Yes, I've subscribed to Cooks Illustrated for many years. I'm not sure whether you have to be; I don't remember if there were any questions like that when I applied. We receive one or two recipes per month. After you make the recipe, you fill out a survey with feedback about it. There's no quota.

To apply, go to https://www.americastestkitchen.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Magazines, then Be a Recipe Tester.

Our neighbor across the street told me that he had used up the last of his fertilizer/weed killer on the bottom edge of our lawn. Hmm, I wondered what happened to the dandy lions! [emoji38] For payback, I took a pie plate of clafoutis over on Wednesday. I've been wanting some ever since! So I went ahead and made one for us. Tasty!

IMG_20200612_233913854.jpg

Our neighbor across the street told me that he had used up the last of his fertilizer/weed killer on the bottom edge of our lawn. Hmm, I wondered what happened to the dandy lions! [emoji38] For payback, I took a pie plate of clafoutis over on Wednesday. I've been wanting some ever since! So I went ahead and made one for us. Tasty!

View attachment 41372

Are you willing to share your recipe?

Back
Top Bottom