2020 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies but they turned out less than great. Time to change recipes.

My niece just used the Neiman Marcus recipe and turned out great. Maybe worth a shot

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/c/nm-nm-cookie-recipe-cat62250745

Gimme, this is interesting. I've been using the "NM cookie recipe" for almost 20 years. Surprisingly, it's nothing like the recipe you linked! It contained quick oats blended to flour and a shaved milk chocolate bar. I felt the chocolate masked other flavors so I left it out of the recipe. Since then, the cookies have tasted great but have been super flat and thin. I decided today to look for a different recipe.

I have an Alton Brown recipe for chewy cookies and was planning to make that. Now I may try this one instead as my first alternative.

Thanks for the link.

Gimme, this is interesting. I've been using the "NM cookie recipe" for almost 20 years. Surprisingly, it's nothing like the recipe you linked! It contained quick oats blended to flour and a shaved milk chocolate bar. I felt the chocolate masked other flavors so I left it out of the recipe. Since then, the cookies have tasted great but have been super flat and thin. I decided today to look for a different recipe.

I have an Alton Brown recipe for chewy cookies and was planning to make that. Now I may try this one instead as my first alternative.

Thanks for the link.

She played around with the temp. She found someone who used same recipe but 375 so she tried that. This other one said 12 min @375 but she did 2nd batch for 11min @375 and thinks they came out better. Mileage will vary on your oven I guess.
Came out pretty good. FYI for day or older just pop in microwave for 20seconds. So good. :)

Last edited:
Raspberry kiwi cheesecake w/ colored sugar (green)...

39817-albums960-picture8325.jpg
[/IMG]

I had one lonely banana on the counter and no takers. I knew Christina Lane could come to my rescue and she did. One mini banana bread...but yolk only? So I tracked down her recipes that call for one white only and settled on Mini Gingerbread. I grabbed the wrong measuring spoon for the spices and baking soda for that one, though, and had to do a little bit of retrieving. While it tastes really good to me, Himself thinks it's a bit too spicy. I might have removed too much soda since it sagged in the middle. Still tasty!

IMG_20200706_170526857.jpg

Last edited:
Baked two loaves of sandwich bread because it's really no more work that making one.

file photo
D580D66C-872F-4473-B55D-DCFF14459922_1_105_c.jpg

I had one lonely banana on the counter and no takers. I knew Christina Lane could come to my rescue and she did. One mini banana bread...but yolk only? So I tracked down her recipes that call for one white only and settled on Mini Gingerbread. I grabbed the wrong measuring spoon for the spices and baking soda for that one, though, and had to do a little bit of retrieving. While it tastes really good to me, Himself thinks it's a bit too spicy. I might have removed too much soda since it sagged in the middle. Still tasty!/QUOTE]

Christina is a favorite of mine for small batch baking. I always have a ripe banana handy and bake her banana bread frequently.

My favorite small batch recipes, from her, is her Mini Chocolate Cream Pie..

https://www.dessertfortwo.com/chocolate-cream-pie-2/ :yum:

The filling is delicious and the only change I make is that I prefer regular pie crust..

Ross

I have that bookmarked already! While small bakery is cute and tasty, I like baking full size stuff. The banana bread will be gone today. Himself is getting the rest of the loaf after we each had a slice yesterday. He wasn't as fond of the gingerbread, so it's all mine! I still have enough for at least one more day. Meanwhile, for nearly the same amount of work, a full size banana bread will last at least five days with both of us eating it.

Still gonna make that chocolate pie. Small fattening desserts are safer.

I have that bookmarked already! While small bakery is cute and tasty, I like baking full size stuff. The banana bread will be gone today. Himself is getting the rest of the loaf after we each had a slice yesterday. He wasn't as fond of the gingerbread, so it's all mine! I still have enough for at least one more day. Meanwhile, for nearly the same amount of work, a full size banana bread will last at least five days with both of us eating it.

Still gonna make that chocolate pie. Small fattening desserts are safer.

Precisely why I bake small batches.. :LOL:

I often make 2 and freeze one.. ;)

Yesterday I baked a 7" peach/apple pie which will give 2 slices each.. :yum:

Ross

Well WE I have self control when it comes to (some) sweets. My downfall is fresh-baked bread. I've learned to restrain myself, though, since I'm lazy enough about needing to bake bread every day to exercise moderation. :LOL:

If Himself starts to reach for more bakery, I just wield my chef's knife in his direction and threaten to go all Mafia on him...:brows:

Been on a baking kick. Especially from some leads given out.
Cherry, other than crust edge flop is delish
That's a 6" dish, recipe from ATK.
From Dessert for Two, the canning lids. NOT impressed with their dough however, I ate them all. [emoji16]20200711_142244.jpg20200711_140015.jpg20200708_191211.jpg20200708_180800.jpg

That was my first post from my phone and although posting the photo's is much easier - they are sort of in a funny layout. But think I'm going to stick to my 'puter - much more comfortable for me! LOL

Been on a baking kick. Especially from some leads given out.
Cherry, other than crust edge flop is delish
That's a 6" dish, recipe from ATK.
From Dessert for Two, the canning lids. NOT impressed with their dough however, I ate them all. [emoji16]

Had to laugh.. When I first started following Christina Lane, I made those lid pies.. Once.. Damned near stopped following her.. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom