2020 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lemon Pudding Cake. Delicious!

Attachments

• 2D968B5E-9309-4234-9673-09F5432DA4E1_1_201_a.jpg
    2D968B5E-9309-4234-9673-09F5432DA4E1_1_201_a.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 139
Rye bread, with sprouted rye flour. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

OMG that bread smells good!!

I'm baking a type of bread for the first time - using something I have not made before: sprouted rye flour. First, I sprouted the rye, then dehydrated the sprouts, then ground them into flour.
Rye berries started sprouting 5-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Rye berries sprouting, after just about 8 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Sprouted rye, ready to put into the dehydrator, after just 32 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The bread that I'm baking started with a soaker, in which the rye sprout flour is soaked overnight with some salt and the buttermilk, as the liquid. A biga is made with a small amount of yeast, plus some water and white bread flour, and that is refrigerated overnight. These are combined the following day, with more yeast, salt, rye flour, and molasses, to make the final dough.

I didn't use any WW flour, just to get the flavor of the sprouted rye, with little to mask it. Now I'm making some sprouted wheat flour - even more of that. I bought 25 lbs each of rye and hard white wheat berries, since I didn't want to go to my usual places to get my whole grain flours. It's been a while since I used my grain mill - I've used the Vitamix for making smaller amounts of flours now for years, but the Nutrimill is better for larger amounts.

The wheat sprouted slower, but it's in the dehydrator now. I started with 6 c of berries - I'll see what that results in.
About half of my sprouted wheat, after 28 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Sprouted wheat, after 28 hours, around 10 am Monday - slower than the rye berries. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Wheat sprouts, being put in the dehydrator, around 2:00 pm Tuesday. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
We had a few apples going soft, so I baked a simple apple cake. It's more moist than I thought it would be, but DH loves it.

It looks delicious, GG.

I am hoping to make some Gluten-Free banana muffins today. I am really craving cookies, but I am really trying to stay away. The muffins are healthier.

cinnamon rolls, almost didn't get a photo of the finished product, and cornbread for tonight's dinner.

Attachments

• IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2440.jpg
    IMG_2440.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 87
Not so much about what I'm baking but about the flour I have been using in our bread products.

A while back I mentioned that I purchased a 50-pound bag of flour from Bakers Authority. I have to say it was one of my wisest purchases ever.

Everything I've baked using this flour has turned out stellar. I've already used a large portion of the gargantuan bag and, when necessary, I'll order it again.

All the doughs have come out like silk and they rise like a son-of-a-gun. I made two loaves of French bread a couple of days ago and I couldn't believe how lofty they got.

I have to say the flour is the cause of my more than positive results because nothing else has changed.

Lemon Custard Pie

Attachments

• 86CF1EE2-4873-4DDD-B18C-195337B6E265_1_201_a.jpg
    86CF1EE2-4873-4DDD-B18C-195337B6E265_1_201_a.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 108
Not so much about what I'm baking but about the flour I have been using in our bread products.

A while back I mentioned that I purchased a 50-pound bag of flour from Bakers Authority. I have to say it was one of my wisest purchases ever.

Everything I've baked using this flour has turned out stellar. I've already used a large portion of the gargantuan bag and, when necessary, I'll order it again.

All the doughs have come out like silk and they rise like a son-of-a-gun. I made two loaves of French bread a couple of days ago and I couldn't believe how lofty they got.

I have to say the flour is the cause of my more than positive results because nothing else has changed.
Glad you found some flour you have had such great results with! I got something like that a few years ago - a 50 lb bag of artisan flour, from Honeyville, which has made the best white breads of any flour I have ever had. I Foodsavered it in 6 lb bags (the amount that went in my flour containers, and froze most it; I still have a couple left, as I don't make much white bread, but I'm glad I have that, when I do make those kind.

I made some Old Milwaukee rye bread today, with the fresh ground rye and WW flours - OMG that stuff smells good baking! Usually I start the sponge 3 days ahead, but it's still good when only started the night before. I was telling someone about that bread yesterday, and I told them I'd make them a sample loaf. I wanted to bake some, anyway, as it will soon be too hot to bake indoors (though I do it outside in the grill, when necessary!).
Baked Old Milwaukee rye bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom