2020 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy to share the recipe. However, it's not mine. I got it from salt and pepper but cannot find the original online right now so here is how I wrote it down.

CAST IRON SKILLET ROLLS

1 Pkt Active Dry Yeast
5 tsp Sugar
237 Gr Warm Water (1 C)
¼ C Milk
1 tsp Kosher Salt
475 Gr AP Flour (≈4C)
TT Melted Butter
... snipped
/QUOTE]

Super big mahalos Andy for sharing S&P's recipe!!!
Copied&pasted gonna make these this weekend I think,
that's if time allows ;)

BTW, is that possibly 2 Tb. of melted butter?

TT is my recipe notation for “to taste”. It’s just what you need to burst the tops of the rolls twice.

It’s basically the same recipe except I substituted milk for the beer at S&P’s suggestion.

Bread Recipe
2 1/4 - tsp of yeast desolived in 1 cup of warm water
5 - tsp sugar
1 - tsp salt
2 1/2 - 3 cups flour
1/4 - cup of beer - or (milk)
Mix the sugar with the water & yeast , add a cup of the flour then the salt, beer and flour until it no longer sticks to the bowl, ( KA mixer ) and mix for 5-7 minutes. Form into a ball and let it rise for an hour in a covered greased bowl. Remove dough to a floured surface and cut into 8 pieces. Roll into a ball and place into a lightly oiled CI 10" pan. Cover the pan and let rise for 20 minutes. Brush the tops with olive oil or butter and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. Brush after baking and add any topping you wish.

Bread Recipe
2 1/4 - tsp of yeast desolived in 1 cup of warm water
5 - tsp sugar
1 - tsp salt
2 1/2 - 3 cups flour
1/4 - cup of beer - or (milk)
Mix the sugar with the water & yeast , add a cup of the flour then the salt, beer and flour until it no longer sticks to the bowl, ( KA mixer ) and mix for 5-7 minutes. Form into a ball and let it rise for an hour in a covered greased bowl. Remove dough to a floured surface and cut into 8 pieces. Roll into a ball and place into a lightly oiled CI 10" pan. Cover the pan and let rise for 20 minutes. Brush the tops with olive oil or butter and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. Brush after baking and add any topping you wish.

I was going to make this yesterday to go with our soup,
but got invited out to lunch with the Neighborhood Gals,
and didn't get back in time to make the rolls.
But I did print this out and it's in the rotation.

IMG_6458.jpg

Just out of the Oven,
S&P's Cast Iron Skillet Rolls
I can't wait to dig in!
I followed the original recipe, using Beer.
That second rise was unbelievable!
They really rose a lot!
And, SSSHHHHH!
Don't tell DH that there's melted BUTTER
all over them :LOL:

Sprouted whole grain and lentil flat bread.
I used 5 cups of grain/lentils, 60 hours later, 3 quarts of sprouts. It made 24 toaster sized pieces of flat bread.

I wanted an English muffin for breakfast but found none. As a result, this was my afternoon's activity.

26D9C5CB-8FDB-4F05-9038-F5BB75248D12_1_105_c.jpg

Butter Tarts filled with a raspberry/blueberry compote, with a little honey, cooked to a pudding-like/jam consistency

Baked mini pumpkins with a pumpkin pie spiced and brown sugar compound butter smeared all over the inside

Baked Brussel Sprouts

Spatchcoked chicken

Apple Crisp

The btutter Tarts are done. Pictures to follow.;)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It's baking time again, so yesterday I made a favorite rye bread of mine, from another recipe from The Complete Book Of Breads, the first issue, from the early 70s - that's how long I've been baking it! It's called Dark Pumpernickel, even though it's not really dark - not much blackstrap, like some, but I think it's because of the dark, whole grain wheat and rye flours. It also has a little cornmeal, plus 2 cups of mashed potatoes. It makes over 6 lbs of bread! And does that ever smell good!
Dark pumpernickel, before baking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dark pumpernickel, after baking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I made a baking powder coffee cake from my Mom's old recipe card. This is the second time I made it and I just can't get it like Mom made. Perhaps I should make getting it perfect as a winter project...

IMG_20201022_122033052.jpg

I can't help you with that, dragn. Meatloaf around here has to be made the same day it's served, otherwise it wouldn't be around when needed.

I guess the coffee cake is okay...IMG_20201022_133606062.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom