2020 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Well here we are at the beginning of a new year. Happy baking everyone!!

I made a cheesecake. I'll post the picture soon.

I'm making a Black Forest trifle for a neighbor's potluck later. I just took the dark chocolate cake out of the oven and will finish it when it cools down.

I'm making a Black Forest trifle for a neighbor's potluck later. I just took the dark chocolate cake out of the oven and will finish it when it cools down.

Yum. I would love the recipe GG.

I'm baking 2 loaves of potato rye, to start the year. I'll be having a sandwich with some of the leftover ham. I got rid of the last of my cookies today, to my neighbor, who had been away, and put all of those tins away until next season!

In this recipe I added a tsp of ajwain seed (a.k.a. carom seed and bishop's weed), in addition to 1 1/2 tb of caraway. One loaf I made a while back with only ajwain, and I wasn't crazy about it, but I thought that maybe it would be better with the caraway, like when I use smaller amounts of nigella. I'll see how it turns out.

Last edited:

Those look very nice. Could you share your recipe? I am a bread freak.
I make French bread every Saturday's and Sunday's, and friends call me around 9am each days, and ask if I have any to give away. Some are even paying for it. It's hard to say no, when they come every weekend to pick up some. Making French bread is a lot of fun and very cheap, then when you eat it fresh with butter, it's incomparable.

I made some sourdough bread today...actually, over the last 3 days! I had some old firm starter in the fridge, that I hadn't used for at least 6 months, but unlike liquid starters, which I have never been able to refresh as well, this was back to normal after just 2 "refreshments". The aroma from the bread is incredible, as always.

Here is the bread, before and after:
Risen loaf, slashed. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Loaf, risen and slashed. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished loaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Raspberry cheesecake

39817-albums1064-picture8120.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is my Saturday's French breads
1 350 gr Baguette
1 300 gr Batard
3 75 gr Petit Pains with Caraway seeds inside
2 75 gr Petit Pains with Sesame seeds on the outside

Attachments

• R0005975-1.jpg
    R0005975-1.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Thanks Ross.

I started like many people making sourdough bread, but I gave up quickly realizing it was not that simple to make and was not really what we eat in France. We usually eat a simple white bread.
Then I worked on poolish and starters. But I was not making enough bread to justify a starter. I was left with just the poolish.

I used poolish for a long time, until I got tired of the 2 days recipe, and also realized that I wasn't gaining that much more flavor compare to a one day recipe.

Now I make a 3 hour bread that is easier to make, has a good structure, a crusty crust, a very light and chewy dough with decent air pockets and taste like home.

Arnaud

Last edited:
I attempted to bake macarons. Keyword is attempted since I'm not so much of a baker unfortunately. Most of them turned out really flat, some were ok and some were slightly burnt.

Back in November, our Community had their semi-annual Bake & Craft Sale

IMG_4615.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

Bake Sale .jpg

DSC01223.jpg

DSC01224.jpg

DSC01225.jpg

I decided that our Puppies have been ignored at these events,
so I made 5 different flavored "cookies" in different shapes and sizes.
That 1st photo are the Bacon Bites for small doggos.
I set up my table a little differently this time around, red & yellow, dog bowls to present the wares and a mascot (stuffed police dog from NYPD). :cool:
I made almost 1000 biscuits, sold about half, and took the other half over to the local Humane Society to share with the puppies without for-ever homes.

Back
Top Bottom