2021 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, sorta baking ...

View attachment 45660

View attachment 45661

View attachment 45662

Mini Chocolate Cream Pies.
One stays here and two go to the neighborhood Gal Pal's.
I'd never seen a Cream Pie recipe that called for a
Graham Cracker Crust, but I wanted to use up
this box of Crumbs that I have.
I made stabilized Whipped Cream for the topping
and shaved some Chocolate curls for garnish.
I like it's too chocolate-y for my taste.

View attachment 45663

I had way too much pudding!
Can you share the recipe please? I have a bunch of Graham Crackers to use up.

Can you share the recipe please? I have a bunch of Graham Crackers to use up.

Surly MsM!

https://www.dessertfortwo.com/chocolate-cream-pie-2/

Ross (Just Cooking) and I were talking about this recipe over on the other thread ... Baking ... and he makes this filling with a regular pie dough crust.
To me, the filling was too chocolate-y, but I used that dark cocoa ...

IMG_0297.jpg

.. but that's me. I think just your standard Hershey's Cocoa would be better.
We haven't tried our pie, YET! :LOL:

Ohhh, those look wonderful! I really like graham cracker crust with cream pies, especially chocolate! That's how my mom made it and I loved the contrast of the creamy pudding with the bit of texture from the graham cracker crust.

I really liked that too BC!! I didn't really care for the filling as a spoonful of pudding, but the crust and then the whipped cream on top of all it, WOW!
It was a bit of a PITA to make the three different components, but I did it over the course of two days, so ...

I actually was a chocoholic at one point but I will admit, chocolate pudding was never a favourite of mine. About the only part I really liked was the 'skin' that would form on top.

Pepper - are the ingredients many for the Russian Black? I think of 'Black Bread' as the moist but solid black Pumperknickle we got in Germany. Your loaves look dark airy loaves.

Last edited:
I actually was a chocoholic at one point but I will admit, chocolate pudding was never a favourite of mine. About the only part I really liked was the 'skin' that would form on top.

Pepper - are the ingredients many for the Russian Black? I think of 'Black Bread' as the moist but solid black Pumperknickle we got in Germany. Your loaves look dark airy loaves.
This is not real airy bread - it got a little more airy towards the top, maybe because it was warmer in the room than the dough was to start with.
Slice of Russian Black Bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The bread does have a good number of ingredients. I mis-stated that it had 60% rye - I should have said that it had about 40% wheat flour, as it also has 2 c of wheat bran, which also increases the density.

I baked a loaf of bread in the new kitchen today for the first time.

I'll have some with breakfast tomorrow.

Today is National Banana Bread day! Not that I need an excuse to bake things.

I found a recipe in the latest Milk Street magazine for a hazelnut banana bread, so I dug out some frozen bananas - something that I do with over-ripe bananas, besides make smoothies.

Somebody must have made this recipe for vegans, as there is no butter and no eggs. This bread is topped with some turbinado sugar, before being topped with some of the hazelnuts (most are ground up in the batter). The caramelizing of the sugar smells fantastic, while baking!
Hazelnut Banana bread, before baking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Hazelnut Banana bread, after baking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Hazelnut Banana bread, cooling on rack. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom