2021 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

My very first time making Focaccia.
I followed a KA recipe and I honestly thought that I had totally flubbed this up!
First off, my yeast I think is going south, I had to proof 3 packs! (I don't have any more Rapid-Rise :()
Then I didn't read all the way though the recipe WITH MY GLASSES ON! And got the wrong amount of water ... too stiff! Adjust, adjust, adjust!
I think the crumb is too tight, but it tastes yummy and is going along side our Spaghetti and Meatballs this evening. :yum:

I used both suggested herbs atop and we did a side by side comparison and we both agreed that we preferred the Pizza Seasoning over the Herb de Provence, I made my own ;)

Made Cherry Bakewell Traybake today. I usually make it with raspberries, but it seems to work just as well with cherries.

Attachments

• Cherry Bakewell Traybake.jpg
    Cherry Bakewell Traybake.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 51
I am trying to get a variety of items in the freezer for when TB goes back to work in a few weeks. I made brownies and banana loaf. Next it will be banana chocolate chip cookies. oatmeal raisin cookies, pumpkin cake.

Everything is basically vegan as I can't use eggs, dairy, or certain nuts. I am turning back into a vegetarian; however, I don't think I could be a vegan except for the baking!

With everyone baking, I thought I'd get in on the act. When I was pulling stuff from a cabinet, a box of recipes fell out. The recipe for "Jane's Apple Nut Cake" caught my eye. Very Rich and filling. Small pieces; much went into the freezer.
IMG_20210413_003437890.jpg

It has been a good day in the kitchen. I made blond brownies, a ham, asparagus and swiss cheese quiche, and whole wheat buttermilk biscuits.

Attachments

• IMG_3456.jpg
    IMG_3456.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 51
Beth, do you mind sharing the recipe for the whole wheat buttermilk biscuits?

Sure, I still have the recipe out.

Buttermilk whole wheat biscuits. Preheat oven to 450*F

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda

3 T. butter

1 cup buttermilk

Sift dry ingredients.
Cut in butter.
Add buttermilk and stir until just combined.
Turn out on floured board and knead 30 seconds.
Roll or pat to 3/4th inch.
Cut into rounds.
Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 450*F for 10 to 12 minutes

Yesterday morning I made 2 loaves of plain white bread and, today, whipped up 2 big baguettes. The house has smelled so lovely the last two days.

Tomorow I will prepare the dough for potato rolls which have to be refrigerated overnight, so no baking until Saturday.

With everyone baking, I thought I'd get in on the act. When I was pulling stuff from a cabinet, a box of recipes fell out. The recipe for "Jane's Apple Nut Cake" caught my eye. Very Rich and filling. Small pieces; much went into the freezer.
View attachment 46322

That looks amazing CG!!
Would you be willing to share the recipe?

Thanks, K-Girl. Here's a snapshot of the recipe. It's really rich and moist. Quite a bit on the sweet side. I think I might cut the sugar back to 1 1/2 cups the next time I make it. Enjoy!

View attachment 46365

What kind of Nuts, Apples and Sugar did you use?
The Cake is so nice and golden, it looks like you used Brown Sugar.
This kinda-sorta sounds like AndyM's Apple Squares ... yeah?
In any case, I love Apple Cakes.

Nope, K-Girl, just white sugar. I used walnuts, and mix of apples from the fruit drawer, starting with the ones too old to eat out of hand. Probably Gala and Braeburn, and one of the two Delicious I bought by mistake. We aren't fond of those.

I made Andy's apple squares only one time. If I remember right, his is less dense, less apple-y tasting. This is so dense and full flavored that a 2-inch square is way big enough.

Last edited:
Yesterday morning I made 2 loaves of plain white bread and, today, whipped up 2 big baguettes. The house has smelled so lovely the last two days.

Tomorow I will prepare the dough for potato rolls which have to be refrigerated overnight, so no baking until Saturday.

Wow Katie H! That's a lot of bread! Are you making them for something special that I missed?

I can't wait to get back into some bread making, haven't found my big stash of flour yet. Did have enough to make the CI rolls the other day to go with some ham soup I made. Family was impressed - there were none left.

Back
Top Bottom