2021 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The news is saying we should prepare for a hurricane/tropical storm in our area. Himself took care of gassing my car and lining up lighting sources. I am... baking. [emoji1] A pie plate of Mom's baking powder kuchen is done. Cracked wheat bread is churning in the bread machine. I plan on making a cherry galette before the day is over because we'll need something to go with ice cream in case the power goes out.View attachment 48363

Good plan. :LOL:

I sure hope you guys stay safe.

We went to a friends house for a birthday parry and I brought the cake. The cake was lemon, with raspberry filling, lemon Swiss buttercream, and fresh raspberries. Someone said it was the best cake I’ve ever made.

Attachments

• 7D6A2677-8666-472B-BBC9-C5A2A33CD280.jpg
    7D6A2677-8666-472B-BBC9-C5A2A33CD280.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 59
  • A402163A-50B3-4E62-AE3E-13C23C6F41DA.jpg
    A402163A-50B3-4E62-AE3E-13C23C6F41DA.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 49
  • F439A499-0EC5-4428-B080-5CA0664D1A8A.jpg
    F439A499-0EC5-4428-B080-5CA0664D1A8A.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 45
The news is saying we should prepare for a hurricane/tropical storm in our area. Himself took care of gassing my car and lining up lighting sources. I am... baking. [emoji1] A pie plate of Mom's baking powder kuchen is done. Cracked wheat bread is churning in the bread machine. I plan on making a cherry galette before the day is over because we'll need something to go with ice cream in case the power goes out.View attachment 48363

Himself is so sweet to gas up your car for you while you're baking. Do you have canned foods and bottled waters in case you lose power, and batter-powered radio and alternate sources for charging cell phones (if needed)? We've been through a few down here in NE NC, you'll be in our thoughts and prayers the next few days.

I thought I would post a photo of the cherry galette before it's all gone. I used the crust recipe from "Art of the Pie", using up the last of my good lard. It was very fragile rolling it out (could have been because I used my new, unseasoned rolling pin), but it is super tender and flaky to eat.

https://artofthepie.com/1/IMG_20210822_183801806.jpg

Okay, after recently watching a bunch of the Great British Baking shows and seeing Silversages' cake...I no longer consider myself a baker, just someone who REALLY enjoys baking:LOL:

Here is the chocolate carrot cake I made for dh's birthday yesterday. Plain looking, but I am especially proud of it because of the challenges of baking at high altitude. Oh, and it is delicious.

Attachments

• IMG_3737.jpg
    IMG_3737.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 38
Recipe kgirl?

MsM, these are Carmelitas, and there are oodles of recipes out there, but this is the one that I used:

https://www.averiecooks.com/carmelitas/

BIG HIT!!!
Very rich and decadent, a small piece goes a long way, but I bet 'cha, as we were playing our Game Afternoon next door today, Mom must have had TWO pieces, when she said that half was plenty :LOL:
There's been alot of things that Mom has changed her mind about since coming here to Cowboyville to live with DH and I :rolleyes:

MsM, these are Carmelitas, and there are oodles of recipes out there, but this is the one that I used:

https://www.averiecooks.com/carmelitas/

BIG HIT!!!
Very rich and decadent, a small piece goes a long way, but I bet 'cha, as we were playing our Game Afternoon next door today, Mom must have had TWO pieces, when she said that half was plenty :LOL:
There's been alot of things that Mom has changed her mind about since coming here to Cowboyville to live with DH and I :rolleyes:
Thank you kgirl.

Kgirl That looks absolutely delicious, but, of course, I'd have to make it to take somewhere to share, so I couldn't eat them all!:LOL:

How much by weight are those 35 caramels called for? Is that one of those whole 9 oz bags, or more? I searched around, briefly, but couldn't find out how many were in a bag.

When the neighbor came down to the house to check on our bee/wasp situation, I baked a six-pack of blueberry muffins and gave four to him. After smelling them, I did have to keep two back for us! Since you can't just eat one, I made six more on Thursday. These babies are so yummy.

IMG_20210825_161644254.jpg

Kgirl That looks absolutely delicious, but, of course, I'd have to make it to take somewhere to share, so I couldn't eat them all!:LOL:

How much by weight are those 35 caramels called for? Is that one of those whole 9 oz bags, or more? I searched around, briefly, but couldn't find out how many were in a bag.

I looked on the ShopRite shop from home site and this is what I found.

Werther's Original Chewy Caramels (10.8 oz.)

10 servings @ 5 pieces a serving, so probably 50 per bag? HTH

Werther's Original Chewy Caramels.jpg

I've been watching a couple of YouTube channels on Turkish cooking and I tried this dish recently. It's called pide and it's a bread shaped like a boat that can have a variety of fillings, like spinach and cheese, vegetables and cheese, or spiced ground beef or lamb.

You can make large, 8-10" ones or appetizer-size ones, which is what I did. I made a batch of mini ones for my book club meeting in June and another one a couple weeks ago for DH and me. They freeze well.

Here are a couple of recipes:

https://ozlemsturkishtable.com/2014...-with-spinach-feta-and-peppers-peynirli-pide/

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/fatayer-middle-eastern-savory-hand-pies-recipe20210826_202128.jpg20210826_202115.jpg

I looked on the ShopRite shop from home site and this is what I found.

Werther's Original Chewy Caramels (10.8 oz.)

10 servings @ 5 pieces a serving, so probably 50 per bag? HTH

View attachment 48524

I used this whole bag (11 ounces):

caramel bits.jpg
(photo courtesy of Amazon.com)

I had this in my pantry for a whiles now, just never
got around to trying it, til now.
I think it worked out just swell for the caramel "Sauce"
in the middle of the cookie bar.

IMG_0835.jpg

Andy's Sister's recipe for Apple Squares.
I had a huge Apple in the Fruit Bowl, I have no
clue what sort of Apple, but it needed being used.

Since Mom & I had been invited next door last night
for a friendly game of Mexican Train, I decided this
would do nicely.
I took only 1/3 of the pan with us and left the rest
at home for DH ... Now I have just 3 pieces of
Cake left for dessert tonight :ohmy::pig::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom