2021 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad you like this recipe. I have changed the name from Apple Squares to Apple Walnut Cake.

My Mother is not a sweets type of person, or so she says :rolleyes:
She has been having dessert of some sort ever since she got here.
She really enjoyed the Apple Walnut Cake ala mode.
Funny, usually I serve up dessert for us three at 830pm and last night I forgot, but she reminded me,
"Aren't we having any dessert tonight?"
:LOL:

In a recent video, Chef John made bialys, a Polish version of a bagel, without the baking-soda dip. Since our last name ends with -ski, I had to try it [emoji16]

It turned out pretty well, although the divot in the center pretty much closed up. I guess I'll have to practice some more :chef:

Here's the recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/article/chef-johns-polish-bialys/ 20210908_171527.jpg20210908_174607.jpg

I made a peach galette last night. It was good but the it seems like the temperature in the recipe was too high, or the time was too long, or both. Luckily DH went into the kitchen to refill his drink and noticed it was *just* beginning to get a little black.
20210911_212752.jpg20210911_213729.jpg

After all the chatter we had about scones in a different thread or two, I finally got around to making a batch of chocolate chip-orange scones. A nice treat for a gloomy day.

IMG_20210917_162253352.jpg

K-Girl, it's from the book I told you about, "Simply Scones". I have not found any recipe online that comes close to the one I have. And I can't (or don't know how to) attach a photo to a DC PM.

[emoji848] I could, however, email a photo to your email! That's not posting it publicly, so it should not violate copywrite laws, right?

That is the next thing on my agenda. Look for it in your inbox shortly...

K-Girl, it's from the book I told you about, "Simply Scones". I have not found any recipe online that comes close to the one I have. And I can't (or don't know how to) attach a photo to a DC PM.

[emoji848] I could, however, email a photo to your email! That's not posting it publicly, so it should not violate copywrite laws, right?

That is the next thing on my agenda. Look for it in your inbox shortly...

Roger that CG!

I re-typed it into my CMT page along with your photo and gave credit where credit was due (names were changed to protect the innocent ;)).
I also changed up the wording of it so as not to infringe upon any legalities.

A cookbook publisher once told me that there no such thing as original recipes any longer ... I'm not sure if I agree but ...

Katie, one of my life sayings is "Life's uncertain, eat dessert first".

After chiding K-Girl for using a box mix for her scones, I bought this mix at Aldi this week. I've never seen chocolate chip muffin mix that I can remember. Figured I'd try it for a buck and 99¢. I do buy chocolate chip muffins at the one-off grocery store occasionally, but they're a buck a piece. These are actually pretty good. I might pick up a box or two next time I go to Aldi. I have a feeling that they're a limited offering.

IMG_20210918_161138793.jpg

Katie, one of my life sayings is "Life's uncertain, eat dessert first".

After chiding K-Girl for using a box mix for her scones, I bought this mix at Aldi this week. I've never seen chocolate chip muffin mix that I can remember. Figured I'd try it for a buck and 99¢. I do buy chocolate chip muffins at the one-off grocery store occasionally, but they're a buck a piece. These are actually pretty good. I might pick up a box or two next time I go to Aldi. I have a feeling that they're a limited offering.

View attachment 48888

I've heard it said that Chocolate is a technically a fruit. It comes from the Cacoa tree. :LOL: We can all use more fruit and veggies in our diet!

Back
Top Bottom