2021 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only buy unsalted butter. If I want salt, I sprinkle it on. It's easier and more flexible.

For many, many years, I did just that. Only unsalted butter. Then, recently a friend bragged about a new-to-her salted butter and I remembered that was the only brand my dear Mom would buy. So, I started exploring the salted butters and there are some splendid ones!

For many, many years, I did just that. Only unsalted butter. Then, recently a friend bragged about a new-to-her salted butter and I remembered that was the only brand my dear Mom would buy. So, I started exploring the salted butters and there are some splendid ones!

Tell me more about this Ginny!
I started using Kerrygold Garlic & Herb Butter on some good bread, MMM! :yum:
Like you, I've only used unsalted Butter for cooking/baking, but I'm liking the salted Butter for finishing a dish.
As I was reading the Kerrygold website, I never thought of this as a compound Butter and putting on a grilled Steak.

<edit: speaking of which, I'm almost out ... Mom likes that Kerrygold too!>

Last edited:
Tell me more about this Ginny!
I started using Kerrygold Garlic & Herb Butter on some good bread, MMM! :yum:
Like you, I've only used unsalted Butter for cooking/baking, but I'm liking the salted Butter for finishing a dish.
As I was reading the Kerrygold website, I never thought of this as a compound Butter and putting on a grilled Steak.

<edit: speaking of which, I'm almost out ... Mom likes that Kerrygold too!>

Oh...I don't think I've seen the Kerrygold version of Garlic & Herb Butter!!! Hmmmm...I think I need to go shopping!!

I only buy unsalted butter. If I want salt, I sprinkle it on. It's easier and more flexible.
I used to do this, but I've now started to add salted butter to my inventory. I always have unsalted, since I think that works best for cooking/baking applications. But last time our favorite butter, Kate's Homemade Butter, went on sale, I bought both salted and unsalted. There's just something special about a good salted butter, where the salt is perfectly distributed through the butter, when it melts on top of perfectly toasted bread. Kate's is kinda local, made in Maine, and I don't know if I'll be able to find it if we get back home. Hmm, might be a good reason to just stay in MA. :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

I keep trying new ones. Right now, I've got some Kerrygold and I've got some Danish Creamery, Small Batch. I've tried some of the Amish butters and they are good too. I've not settled on a favorite, but it is what I keep my Butter Keeper on the counter.

I used to do this, but I've now started to add salted butter to my inventory. I always have unsalted, since I think that works best for cooking/baking applications. But last time our favorite butter, Kate's Homemade Butter, went on sale, I bought both salted and unsalted. There's just something special about a good salted butter, where the salt is perfectly distributed through the butter, when it melts on top of perfectly toasted bread. Kate's is kinda local, made in Maine, and I don't know if I'll be able to find it if we get back home. Hmm, might be a good reason to just stay in MA. :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

CG, I just finished reading their website, WOW!!! Wish I could try that Butter!

I rarely buy unsalted butter. I figure unsalted butter wasn't generally available when my mom and her contemporaries were baking and their stuff was delicious.

If the tiny amount of salt in salted butter concerns you, adjust the other salt in the recipe.

IMG_5576 (2).jpg

Salt in the syrup!!! Yum!

Don't ask me where I got it...I forgot! :ROFLMAO:

I baked some WW bread sticks today, using that WW Ardent Mills flour, I got really cheap ($2.29/5 lbs) at Lidl's on my first visit. I usually mix it with dark rye, but I wanted to see what it was like by itself. Turned out really good, flavor wise and the gluten content - it was very elastic, and kept springing back on itself, after stretching it out. Out of curiosity, I compared its protein to that in the hard red and hard white wheat berries I've been grinding, since the pandemic started. The hard white was slightly better than the old red wheat I had been using - 13.0% vs 11.9%, but this new WW flour had 4/30 protein, or 13.33%. So this is really a good bread flour. The old Pillsbury WW flour, I used to get at Walmart ('til they dropped it locally) was a little under 12%, like the hard red wheat. It's good they carry that!

I rarely buy unsalted butter. I figure unsalted butter wasn't generally available when my mom and her contemporaries were baking and their stuff was delicious.

If the tiny amount of salt in salted butter concerns you, adjust the other salt in the recipe.
It doesn't concern me at all. It's just simpler to buy one kind of butter and not have to be concerned with adjusting amounts. If I want a compound butter, I'll make one. When I want salted butter on something, I like to use Maldon flaky salt and get a nice crunch :yum: :chef:

I usually bake these rolls in cooler weather to go along with soups, pot roasts, Thanksgiving, etc. However, SO requested them so that was my task for the afternoon.

409FF6AA-128A-4ABF-9B04-2D9E62A8A9F3_1_105_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom