2021 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cake Doughnut Sticks - Made up 19 doughnut sticks for when the family gets home. The oil was cooking the outside too quickly, even on lowest stove setting. I fried until golden brown, knowing that the middle would still be raw. I put the doughnuts into a 350' F oven to complete the cooking process. They came out great, cooked all the way through, with a tender/moist crumb, with nice crispy outsides. Glazed half with vanilla glaze, and the other half with lemon glaze. That makes three good sized doughnut sticks per person, with one left over. Better than popcorn. Now they just need some hot cocoa to go with the doughnut sticks,:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hmmm...you said you are in Helena, MT? Maps says you are only about 4 hours away from our camping spot in Post Falls, ID!

[IMG
smileys-car-racing-768886.gif
[/IMG]

Hmmm...you said you are in Helena, MT? Maps says you are only about 4 hours away from our camping spot in Post Falls, ID!

[IMG
smileys-car-racing-768886.gif
[/IMG]

I used to live in Newman Lake, WA, just across the border from Post Falls. We had several friends that lived in Post Falls. I hope your having a great time camping. When I lived there property was cheap, and living conditions were rustic, even primitive. I knew people who had outhouses, and hurricane lamps, no indoor water, no electricity.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yes, Chief, it has really grown! My first visit here was 1994, there was a long drive of nothingness from the Spokane Airport to Rathdrum. Not now! And they are still building and building. Big city. The first night, Cadie didn't even want to leave the RV! Too much city noise and it really confused her. All new.

I baked an apple galette. I watched a video of Jacques Pépin making one and wrote down the amounts and the instructions. I had never baked a "galette" before. It was pretty good. I prefer the flavour of a Danish recipe for pie crust that I make. I'll try making it with that crust. I like the free form concept of a galette.

Apple galette, whole.jpg

Apple galette, slice.jpg

Had an interesting morning today. I'd set up the bread machine to do the heavy lifting for 2 loaves of white bread last night before I went to bed in anticipation of hitting the ground running.

Worked out well. Took my shower, added the water and yeast and set that bad boy to do the work.

The machine was nearly done and I was in the middle of preparing a meatloaf for tonight's meal when there was a knock on the front door. It was an employee of our power company alerting me that our power would be off for about 2 to 3 hours while they changed poles and transformers.

Yep....well. He said I had a few minutes to prepare. Really?!
So, quick as a bunny, I put half of an onion into the chopping whizzer and attempted to heat up a bowl of water in the microwave to help the loaves of bread rise on their final rise.

Didn't make it. Came up with another approach and heated some water in the tea kettle on our gas cooktop to pour into the bowl. Problem solved.

Okey, dokey now How 'bout the dough that has to be shaped into loaves? In spite of the length of time the fellow said the power would be off, I gambled and shaped the loaves and put them into the toasty and damp microwave to do their thing. Only needed an hour, but the predicted time was much longer.

I'll take the risk and crossed my fingers. Within 10 minutes of the bread to finish its rise, the power came on and we had 2 loaves of lovely bread.
Instead of the lengthy time for the power to be off, it was just under 2 hours.

We'll have toast tomorrow morning.

Had an interesting morning today. I'd set up the bread machine to do the heavy lifting for 2 loaves of white bread last night before I went to bed in anticipation of hitting the ground running.

Worked out well. Took my shower, added the water and yeast and set that bad boy to do the work.

The machine was nearly done and I was in the middle of preparing a meatloaf for tonight's meal when there was a knock on the front door. It was an employee of our power company alerting me that our power would be off for about 2 to 3 hours while they changed poles and transformers.

Yep....well. He said I had a few minutes to prepare. Really?!
So, quick as a bunny, I put half of an onion into the chopping whizzer and attempted to heat up a bowl of water in the microwave to help the loaves of bread rise on their final rise.

Didn't make it. Came up with another approach and heated some water in the tea kettle on our gas cooktop to pour into the bowl. Problem solved.

Okey, dokey now How 'bout the dough that has to be shaped into loaves? In spite of the length of time the fellow said the power would be off, I gambled and shaped the loaves and put them into the toasty and damp microwave to do their thing. Only needed an hour, but the predicted time was much longer.

I'll take the risk and crossed my fingers. Within 10 minutes of the bread to finish its rise, the power came on and we had 2 loaves of lovely bread.
Instead of the lengthy time for the power to be off, it was just under 2 hours.

We'll have toast tomorrow morning.

Don't cha just love it when things come together!?

I'm getting ready for our Communities Craft & Bake Sale.
I've started a month early making my Rum and Kahlua Half Sized Bundt Cakes and freezing them for next month.

IMG_0945.jpg

Of course the first batch of Rum Cake had to be taste tested by Mom and DH ;)
I have another batch in the oven now. :chef:

Not my best day in the kitchen, but the results were still satisfactory. I had prepped what I could for scones last night, figuring to finish them up quickly today. However, when I realized that we were nearly out of bread, I figured I'd get the bread machine going first to make the dough. But...once again the motor wasn't having it and refused to knead the dough. I dumped everything into my huge bread bowl and got to work. Once I put the bread to rise, I then had a chance to make the scones. Thankfully they went into and out of the oven with no drama. Then the bread got its chance in the oven and came out looking fine.

I did a little riff on the scone recipe for the chocolate chip/orange scone, using lime juice and subbing shredded coconut for the chips. Very tasty! When we have more tomorrow I'll melt a little chocolate to drizzle on top.

Not my best day in the kitchen, but the results were still satisfactory. I had prepped what I could for scones last night, figuring to finish them up quickly today. However, when I realized that we were nearly out of bread, I figured I'd get the bread machine going first to make the dough. But...once again the motor wasn't having it and refused to knead the dough. I dumped everything into my huge bread bowl and got to work. Once I put the bread to rise, I then had a chance to make the scones. Thankfully they went into and out of the oven with no drama. Then the bread got its chance in the oven and came out looking fine.

I did a little riff on the scone recipe for the chocolate chip/orange scone, using lime juice and subbing shredded coconut for the chips. Very tasty! When we have more tomorrow I'll melt a little chocolate to drizzle on top.

Sounds like a pretty good day to me! Save the bread machine thing. But, it is the end result that matters most!

Andy, those look at least as good as the bagel shop featured on Chronicle Tuesday evening - Exodus Bagels. At $2.50 a pop, you have a real nice stash for far less money.

Andy, those look at least as good as the bagel shop featured on Chronicle Tuesday evening - Exodus Bagels. At $2.50 a pop, you have a real nice stash for far less money.

I make mine smaller than bagel shop size. So I'd have to charge less.

Of course, they're "Artisan" bagels so I'd have to charge more.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom