3 squares per day grilled - remodeling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
For the last 2 weeks I've been cooking out back. How many ways can you think of to say 'I am sooo over grilling"?

We are remodeling and the kitchen, family room and laundry are gutted.

Cooking on the back porch has been interesting. The fridge is in the garage, the microwave and grill out back along with a hose and brand new outdoor sink.

Attachments

• newsinkweb.jpg
    newsinkweb.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
My kitchen was genuine mid seventies chic and boasted an analog (full 500 watts) microwave, ye olde fake walnut cabinets, unspeakable brown counters and 3 (count 'em, 3) layers of cheap vinyl. Other excellent features included a dropped ceiling (makes tall people claustrophobic) and pink flowered wall paper and borders.

The kitchen sink had 2 bowls - but neither was larger enough for a decent sized skillet.

Attachments

• ugly wallpaerweb.jpg
    ugly wallpaerweb.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 200
  • old kitchen web.jpg
    old kitchen web.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 240
So - the demo is finished now. The dropped ceiling and all the insulation that was on top of it is gone. The popcorn finish has been removed from the ceiling by my son. Turns out that downy fab softener and water softens it right up and it can be scraped away. My house has a lovely lavender laundry smell.

We had an interesting time cooking on the grill. Dinner is OK, but breakfast is just hard. I finally learned how to make decent oatmeal in the microwave, but have learned that you can't leave butter outside in July.... (imagine that).

Did you know that it's possible to grill bacon on crinkled up foil?

Attachments

• big messweb 2.jpg
    big messweb 2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 183
  • study in ugly surfaces and cute kidweb.jpg
    study in ugly surfaces and cute kidweb.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Good Lord, I'll say you've over grilled...You need a break today..Anyone for dinner OUT???? Or just a sandwich and chips...Chin up just think how beautiful it will be very soon.Wish I could help you ...we did ours last summer whoa nellie what a mess.
kades

Oh my, there is little that stresses out a cook like a kitchen reno. I did a lot of stuff in an electric wok, and an electric frying pan. It got old reaaaally fast. How much longer for you Janet?

You could remove the grate from your grill and put a cast iron or oven-proof stainless skillet on the burner shields over the burners and cook like it's a stove.

Tonight we're having burgers - again. Eating out gets old fast - I have the numbers of the few take away places in the area on speed dial. On the bright side we get to eat on the patio every night (and morning and noon....). I used to look forward to that....

So far the family fave is skewered and grilled bits on a pita with yogurt and feta - sort of a gyro affair.

Yesterday I learned how to make cinnamon toast on the grill. It can be done and was yummy.

Place sturdy bread on hot grill and toast bottom of bread (grill lid up)
Once toasted on one side, remove and butter toasted side and cover in cinnamon sugar. Be careful not to lick you fingers as that's where the calories are.

Close grill lid and let grill heat up a minute. Put untoasted side of bread down on the grill and close the lid. Watch very carefully - and remove when top is bubbly and the bottom is toasted. (takes only a minute or 2)

Be careful on the last step. Cinnamon toast burns (with blue flames) very easily - ask me how I know... :)

Oh my, there is little that stresses out a cook like a kitchen reno. I did a lot of stuff in an electric wok, and an electric frying pan. It got old reaaaally fast. How much longer for you Janet?

Maybe 2 weeks? The cabinets come Thursday - but we won't have a chance to install till next week....

UGH!!! 2 weeks is a LONG time. I say buy a bunch of paper plates for those meals you HAVE to eat at home and start imposing on all your friends for suppers out. If you show up looking hungry and giving them "bambi eyes" I bet you will get enough to keep you going til its all done.

Janet - Since you are "ruffing it", here's a reference by the boy scouts for simple outdoor meals. I hope if inspires you to get away from just doing cinnamon toast or burgers :)

Scouting Resources

The troop 928 file is what I was looking at.

Bob

Janet, I totally feel for you. But it will be so nice when you are done. Two weeks may seem like a long time but it will be gone before you know it and you will never look back!

Can't wait for the after photos!

You might try using your crock-pot, too. A couple of summers ago, it was so hot here the mere thought of heating up the kitchen made me crazy. Amazingly, for the entire month of June I cooked all our evening meals in the crock-pot. Solved my kitchen heat problem and we had a great variety of entrees. I even baked a small cake in the crock-pot for dessert.

I actually don't own a crock pot.... Maybe once the reno is over I'll become inspired.

Todays breakfast:

Croissant
Microwave scrambled eggs improved with a chunk of chevre
Rainier cherries - in season and local
2 cups of coffee
1 oreo (ok - 2 Oreo's)

We take a lot for granted with all our conveniences at our fingertips. I'm sure you and your family will come away from this with lasting memories and a bit more appreciative of all you have. Someday you may even laugh about it :LOL:

Janet, I saw something at Costco the other day and thought of you. It was a huge BBQ Grill with two side burners and...(drumroll please)...a 3/4 sized oven! It would certainly make cooking outdoors more like home! ;):LOL:

SO - just an update. Several months have gone by and we are close to being finished with our kitchen remodel. In the middle of this redo, we took a 5 week trip and sent our son to school overseas for the next year. (he was the one scraping off the popcorn ceiling).

We gutted 3 rooms, kitchen/family room and a large laundry and utility area. Suspended celings came out, popcorn ceilings were removed, fluorescent fixtures went to the dump, we rewired, replumbed and refloored. We did all the work our selves except for some carpet installation in the family room.

We still have things left to finish. Back splashes, fireplace mantel, pictures on the walls and window treatments. I still can't find some things that were packed away in storage for the summer and of course - nothing is in the same place!

Attachments

• new 1.jpg
    new 1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 156
  • new 2.jpg
    new 2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 150
  • new 4.jpg
    new 4.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 160
I love my new sink - which we found on e-bay for a song. The faucet was an ebay find as well.

The cutting board in the sink just rests there and slides back and forth (hubbys idea)

Attachments

• new 5.jpg
    new 5.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 153
  • new 6.jpg
    new 6.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 151
Here are some before and afters of the fireplace. The old fireplace was fake rock (aka concrete) and loomed over the room. we still have to put up a mantle and pics but this simpler fireplace is sooo much nicer. The old one attracted cobwebs -there's no room here for spiders to even get started.

Attachments

• new fireplace1.jpg
    new fireplace1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 201
  • old fire.jpg
    old fire.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 146
Back
Top Bottom