"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
So glad you made some new friends to add to your wonderful neighborhood. It sounds like they will fit in perfectly with your group.

In case I splurge on some halibut, would you share the recipe you used please?
Sure. I sprinkled the fillets with Penzeys Mural of Flavor, salt and olive oil and let them sit in the fridge for about a half hour, then DH grilled them for a few minutes on each side. Before that, I caramelized a couple of yellow onions in butter and toasted a handful of pine nuts. That's it

If you don't have Mural of Flavor, you can use any seasoning you have that includes some citrus (Mural has dried lemon and orange peel) or drizzle with lemon juice once it's done.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Burgers!

I'm honestly not a big burger fan (I know I know) but it seemed an appropriate 4th of July meal. I spent the week before learning on how to make a burger from people like Kenji Alt-Lopez and America's Test Kitchen. And after learning some surprising tips (like why you should salt on your patties instead of in), I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2985.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	41660  
SaltSearSavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi SSS...so glad you found our nightly dinner thread. It's my favorite and your burger looks great. Kenji is a guru to many of us at DC.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Good to know! I look forward to following it.

Yes I’ve really enjoyed learning from Kenji over on Serious Eats. I need to purchase his Food Lab book soon and dive into that! Problem is I’m reading like four other cookbooks right now haha.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #25
Master Chef

Tonight was a splurge for us, steak, beans from the garden, green salad, macaroni and potato salad. Mai Tai milkshakes for dessert. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200704_190201.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	41663Click image for larger version

Name:	20200704_205022.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	41664
Old 07-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
We had pulled pork BBQ, collard greens, southern fried corn, and potato salad. S'mores or ice cream for dessert. Forgot we also had watermelon....I guess we will have that tomorrow!
That all sounds delicious!!
Old 07-05-2020, 09:41 PM   #27
Cupcake

Everyone's meals look fantastic! (I confess that I do look forward to seeing photos of meals but holiday meals are especially fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
That all sounds delicious!!

Thank you! It was good enough to have for leftovers the following night. How do you make Mai Tai Milkshakes? Love the Porky Pig glass.

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

How do you make Mai Tai Milkshakes? Love the Porky Pig glass.
Thanks, I thought it was appropriate for a milk shake after a huge dinner lol.

The recipe was inspired when I saw Giant carrying coconut-pineapple ice cream this summer.

-Giant brand Coconut and Pineapple ice cream
-Pineapple tidbits, drained and frozen
-Reserved pineapple juice "ice cubes"
-1.5 oz gold rum
-0.5 oz orange curacao
-0.5 oz amaretto
-1/3 cup milk
-1.0 oz dark rum

In a blender combine 3 large scoops of ice cream, 1/2 cup frozen pineapple, 3 pineapple juice cubes, gold rum, curacao, amaretto, and milk. Blend until smooth n thick. Add additional ice cream if too thin or additional milk if too thick.

Add 2 scoops of ice cream to a tall glass, fill to almost the top with the shake, float the dark rum on top.

Enjoy. Use a straw for best experience.
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

The recipe was inspired when I saw Giant carrying coconut-pineapple ice cream this summer.

-1.5 oz gold rum
-0.5 oz orange curacao
-0.5 oz amaretto
-1/3 cup milk
-1.0 oz dark rum

In a blender combine 3 large scoops of ice cream, 1/2 cup frozen pineapple, 3 pineapple juice cubes, gold rum, curacao, amaretto, and milk. Blend until smooth n thick. Add additional ice cream if too thin or additional milk if too thick.

Add 2 scoops of ice cream to a tall glass, fill to almost the top with the shake, float the dark rum on top.

Holy cow..that sounds awesome Dave! Now I need to see if I can find the ice cream. Would you please post the recipe in the Beverage Forum so I can find it again?

Old 07-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
For many years this is the only way I roast chickens in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour for a five pound chicken. I season mine with Hawaiian seasoning salt that contains vinegar and chili peppers. I go one step further by adding smashed garlic to the beer can and also add it to the pan with half the beer. I plug up the neck hole with half a lemon and pull the neck skin over it, securing with tooth picks. The lemon and garlic permeates the chicken. The beer and garlic pan juices are poured over the chicken after I carve it in it's standing position rather than remove it from the pan. Yummmmm Yummmm
Kay did you buy your "Hawaiian seasoning salt that contains vinegar and chili peppers" or did you mix it yourself? I'm looking for a recipe for this. TIA
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:57 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Kay did you buy your "Hawaiian seasoning salt that contains vinegar and chili peppers" or did you mix it yourself? I'm looking for a recipe for this. TIA

This is the kind I use MsM, and I like it better than the other flavors of SS put out by Noh. All Purpose Hawaiian Seasoning Salt (8 oz) - Noh Foods of Hawaii It's really good strong stuff and I also use lots of it for my crockpot Kaluha Pig along with liquid smoke...
I've always had a problem figuring out the right ratio for a copycat recipe. In this case it's spot on, but I have no idea about the ratio other than the ingredients list.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:30 PM   #32
Cupcake

Quote:

-1.5 oz gold rum
-0.5 oz orange curacao
-0.5 oz amaretto
-1/3 cup milk
-1.0 oz dark rum

That sounds amazing! I think I need to run to Giant for something....anything. And while I am there, I should look for Coconut-Pineapple ice cream. Yum!

If only they sold Porky glasses!

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinner