"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #1
Sous Chef

4th of July Dinner

I rubbed a pork butt butt with seasoning and chilled it overnight. Today I put it on the rotisserie for about 4 hours, until it was tender enough to pull.

We had bbq pulled pork sandwiches on brioche buns, with potato salad and roast corn on the cob. We're trying not to turn into alcoholics during the pandemic, so we had a big pitcher of lemonade to go with.

Apple strudel and vanilla ice cream finished it off.

How did you celebrate?

Old 07-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

We haven't refilled the propane tank yet (and our "backup" tank moved to NC in 2018 ), so I used the lovely ground meat intended for burgers to make taco salad meat instead. Since I had too much meat for two people/one meal, I put half of the cooked taco meat into a freezer bag. Now I have backup for a night I don't want to cook.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We tried out some duck sausage. It was good. I poached them to 75°C and DH browned them on the grill. I served it with a salad with ranchoid dressing and macaroni with the rest of the garlic scape pesto. Filling and tasty supper. We might have strawberries and cream or whipped cream later.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Met a fair weather friend today-- me, actually. Threw in the towel as I said "it's too hot , to be grilling today". Yep, it's the same towel used in the winter, "it's too cold to be outside grilling.

I combined ingredients and made a stove top kettle of Cowboy Beans with burger and bacon and fixin's, a simple salad of thin sliced cukes, tomatoes, fresh basil and mint leaves. SO made Mom's potato salad. And ta-da, she baked a peach pie quite early this morning. Turned into quite a feast.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:47 PM   #5
Cupcake

We had pulled pork BBQ, collard greens, southern fried corn, and potato salad. S'mores or ice cream for dessert. Forgot we also had watermelon....I guess we will have that tomorrow!

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We tried out some duck sausage. It was good. I poached them to 75°C and DH browned them on the grill. I served it with a salad with ranchoid dressing and macaroni with the rest of the garlic scape pesto. Filling and tasty supper. We might have strawberries and cream or whipped cream later.
A bit later, we had the strawberries with crème Chantilly. Local strawberries are the best.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:57 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

God bless the USA!
We waited till after dark, and used the grill for our burgers made with 1/2 gr.beef and 1/2 gr.bacon we buy frozen from the market. They are outa sight on toasted buns with cheese and the usual suspects.

Our little patio table was perfect for the meal with chips and potato salad, along with enjoying the wine and music we love, and our very cool and compact little propane fire pit that looks something like this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uniflame-Column-Small-GLT1343SP-1000.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	41639  

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:25 AM   #8
Master Chef

I decided to go with picnic food. To paraphrase George Thorogood, one hot dog, one burger, one beer. Added Hawaiian macaroni salad and corn on the SLOB.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:56 AM   #9
Master Chef

Cupcake thighs, BBQed beans and coleslaw.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:06 AM   #10
Head Chef

Simple one for us, The hubbie under the weather, think he has gotten to much sun, so a very quite day with no excitement for us. Leftovers used up in the fridge did the trick for us.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:55 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Didn't sleep on Friday night. I had a hamburger for lunch and fell asleep for the night.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Cupcake thighs, BBQed beans and coleslaw.

Nice
salt and pepper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Seafood scampi

[IMG][/IMG]
salt and pepper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #14
Executive Chef

All those meals look so yummy.

Here's mine, was the best salmon I've had in a long while.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200704_175346.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	41646  
Old 07-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

On Friday, we directed our new neighbors to our favorite seafood shop and they surprised us by giving us a pound of halibut! We already had plans for Friday's dinner, so we grilled it last night, along with the obligatory corn on the cob and sautéed vegetables. I served the halibut with caramelized onions and pine nuts, per a recipe from a Chef's Table event I attended last year.

Name:	2020-07-05-11-56-21.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	41648
Old 07-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yesterday was as hot as the Hinges of Hell, along with "air we could wear," so I opted to cook inside.

Made what the children loving called beer butt chicken. Translation: chicken cooked sitting on a beer can. Didn't use the beer can. Instead used an earlier version of Cameron's Beer Can Roaster that I've had for over 20 years. Love it and it's much more stable than a can.

Tried a new recipe that turned out to be stellar. Cooked it in the oven for the requisite time and it was perfect. Used our own thyme and had sauteed yellow squash (fresh from Glenn's son's garden) with onions and the last of Glenn's birthday cake for dessert.

Plenty of chicken left with awesome juices for tonight's meal. Definitely will do chicken this way again.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Looks wonderful!

GG, halibut is my very favorite swimming fish, and S&P is showing my favorite non swimmers.

What a gift from your neighbors GG. I priced fresh caught halibut at our marina fish market and they wanted a whopping $24 lb.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Looks wonderful!

GG, halibut is my very favorite swimming fish, and S&P is showing my favorite non swimmers.

What a gift from your neighbors GG. I priced fresh caught halibut at our marina fish market and they wanted a whopping $24 lb.
I know! It's about the same at our fish market. I was quite surprised and gratified. I made Alison Roman's Salted Butter Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies yesterday and took them some as a thank-you.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Yesterday was as hot as the Hinges of Hell, along with "air we could wear," so I opted to cook inside.

Made what the children loving called beer butt chicken. Translation: chicken cooked sitting on a beer can. Didn't use the beer can. Instead used an earlier version of Cameron's Beer Can Roaster that I've had for over 20 years. Love it and it's much more stable than a can.

Tried a new recipe that turned out to be stellar. Cooked it in the oven for the requisite time and it was perfect. Used our own thyme and had sauteed yellow squash (fresh from Glenn's son's garden) with onions and the last of Glenn's birthday cake for dessert.

Plenty of chicken left with awesome juices for tonight's meal. Definitely will do chicken this way again.

For many years this is the only way I roast chickens in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour for a five pound chicken. I season mine with Hawaiian seasoning salt that contains vinegar and chili peppers. I go one step further by adding smashed garlic to the beer can and also add it to the pan with half the beer. I plug up the neck hole with half a lemon and pull the neck skin over it, securing with tooth picks. The lemon and garlic permeates the chicken. The beer and garlic pan juices are poured over the chicken after I carve it in it's standing position rather than remove it from the pan. Yummmmm Yummmm

Old 07-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I know! It's about the same at our fish market. I was quite surprised and gratified. I made Alison Roman's Salted Butter Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies yesterday and took them some as a thank-you.

So glad you made some new friends to add to your wonderful neighborhood. It sounds like they will fit in perfectly with your group.

In case I splurge on some halibut, would you share the recipe you used please?

Tags
dinner