5/12/20 ~ It's Taco Tuesday At My House! How `Bout You?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Es martes de tacos en mi casa, I'm presuming that's correct, I got that off a Bing search.

IMG_5842.jpg

I started the Carne Asada to marinade a few days ago and made some fresh Pico de Gallo this morning. My Avocado feels pretty ripe now, I bought that back on Friday. I have some Radishes ready for the choppin', along with some lettuce and fresh Limes. I have my fresh Flour Tortillas from the Carniceria that I had frozen a few weeks back. The cerveza is chillin' ...
I'm set!
All's I need to do now is grill the meat and assemble
:yum:

A bastardied version of chili colorado. Only just put the stock pot on for a slow simmer. SO is already hovering over the stove with his 'tastin' spoon in hand.

I always tend to clean as I go. Kitchen is done. So, now its time to take a little break.

Gonna try a version of the recipe Kayelle posted yesterday. Using BS thighs and veggies other than asparagus, which we don't have.

It's National Girl Scout Day in our house. No, we aren't eating Girl Scouts (not even cookies :(), but as a scout and then a leader (and now Loverly is a leader after being a Scout for 13 years), we give a nod to this most worthy program.

We will have nice garden salads and grilled cheese sandwiches. I'll have tomato on mine, while Himself will have the tomato ends on the side and bacon on his sandwich. Since there is NO way I can smell bacon cooking without eating it, I'll have mine scattered across my salad.

Two things..... had Cous Cous for the very first time today.....
I don't think I liked it !

Shrimp, Grape Tomatoes and Green Beans in Cous Cous.... Side Salad...

Shrimp & Cous cous .jpg

Two things..... had Cous Cous for the very first time today.....
I don't think I liked it !

Shrimp, Grape Tomatoes and Green Beans in Cous Cous.... Side Salad...

View attachment 40928
That's the Moroccan style of couscous, which isn't my favorite. Try the Israeli style, aka pearl couscous. You might like it better. This is some of the couscous salad I made recently.
20200512_184234.jpg

Couscous salad with scallions, bell peppers, poblano, corn, black beans and a cumin spiced vinaigrette. We added leftover pork roast, but it would be vegan otherwise. Garnish of avocado slices with thin red onion slices.

You have to put some kind of dressing or fat on couscous, otherwise it eats dry and not very pleasant.

Attachments

• 2020-05-12 18.44.58.jpg
    2020-05-12 18.44.58.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I was trying to eyeball about how much ham to save out for ham/cheese sammies, ham 'n eggs etc before freezing the remainder. Does Rachael Ray have a scientific/ mathematical formula regarding "eyeballing"? Anyway I decided not worth freezing leftovers, as we / mostly me/ do not care for frozen ham all that much.

So bonus. I increased the amount of ham going into tonight's fettucine alfredo with ham and peas. Also a side salad with red wine vinaigrette made the other day, with sliced cukes, grape tomatoes and Kalamata olives.

I made a meatloaf and served it with brown basmati rice and a salad with homemade vinaigrette. That hit the spot.

It's National Girl Scout Day in our house. No, we aren't eating Girl Scouts (not even cookies :(), but as a scout and then a leader (and now Loverly is a leader after being a Scout for 13 years), we give a nod to this most worthy program.

We will have nice garden salads and grilled cheese sandwiches. I'll have tomato on mine, while Himself will have the tomato ends on the side and bacon on his sandwich. Since there is NO way I can smell bacon cooking without eating it, I'll have mine scattered across my salad.

We have a rule at my house. No one is allowed to cook bacon without making enough that everyone in the house who can smell it, gets some. That's for both two legged and four legged friends and family.

CG, I'm sure that you and Loverly know this already, I did not...

"Donate boxes through the Girl Scouts organization. When you purchase cookies from a Girl Scout troop that is participating in the "Gift of Caring" program, you are given the option on the order form to purchase boxes to donate to the U.S. military troops serving overseas. Mark on the form how many boxes you would like to purchase for the troops and the organization will coordinate the shipping.

Send boxes through volunteer organizations such as Hugs For Soldiers (hugsforsoldiers.org) or Any Soldier (anysoldier.com). Simply mail cookie boxes to the groups and they will send them to deployed soldiers who do not receive many care packages from home.

Ask for the address of a soldier through your local Armed Forces recruiting office or church if you do not personally know any troops. Package the cookies along with a note of encouragement and gratitude in a cardboard box. Address the package with the soldier's FPO/APO address. Fill out the customs forms and indicate that the contents are a gift, and mail through your local post office. "

I have yet to see any Scouts out and about trying sell cookies and I would LOVE to do this!! Do you think that either you or Loverly could help a gal out?

I threw together an Indian dish today - a sambar, made with some of my frozen okra, and a very large scallion from the garden, sliced up instead of scallions, and browned, along with the okra, in a NS wok.
Okra and scallions, about half way through browning. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

While that was browning, the toor dal cooked for just 8 min. in the Instant Pot. When the pressure released, I added some leftover brown basmati, along with the sambar masala, turmeric, asafoetida, and curry leaves, as well as the browned okra and scallions, and brought to a simmer for a few minutes. Then I added some chopped cilantro, and some chopped scallion greens, and that was it!
Finished okra sambar, with toor dal and brown basmati. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished okra sambar. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I went to HMart Korean food store. (this was my first shopping trip since Feb. 29. No lines outside or at check out) I picked up ground pork shoulder. DD went to 99 Ranch Market and picked up fresh wonton wrapper. I made homemade pork wontons. The fresh wrappers are so delicate. DD boiled them then pan fried them in a no stick pan with very little oil. DD also did a vegetable stir fry. I also made dipping sauces.

stir_fry_wontons_051220_IMG_6852.jpg

Gonna try a version of the recipe Kayelle posted yesterday. Using BS thighs and veggies other than asparagus, which we don't have.

This recipe, posted by Kayelle yesterday, was for chicken breasts, asparagus, bacon, ranch dressing and cheese.

I made a few changes:

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Roasted red pepper and
Fresh green bell pepper

I browned the thighs lightly in my CI skillet then built the rest of the dish on top and popped it in the oven.

We both liked it. I mean, bacon, ranch and cheese. How bad could it be?

Attachments

• BD15086B-791B-4526-A7D3-89E901214805_1_201_a.jpg
    BD15086B-791B-4526-A7D3-89E901214805_1_201_a.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 85
es martes de tacos en mi casa, i'm presuming that's correct, i got that off a bing search.

View attachment 40925

i started the carne asada to marinade a few days ago and made some fresh pico de gallo this morning. My avocado feels pretty ripe now, i bought that back on friday. I have some radishes ready for the choppin', along with some lettuce and fresh limes. I have my fresh flour tortillas from the carniceria that i had frozen a few weeks back. The cerveza is chillin' ...
I'm set!
All's i need to do now is grill the meat and assemble
:yum:

IMG_5845.jpg

yum!

As usual, the salads were a major project. [emoji38] I also decided that half of my bacon would be in my salad, the rest on the sandwich. With the big slabs of tomato, I could barely tell they were there. Oh, well. Still tasty.

IMG_20200512_222606275.jpg

CG, I'm sure that you and Loverly know this already, I did not...I have yet to see any Scouts out and about trying sell cookies and I would LOVE to do this!! Do you think that either you or Loverly could help a gal out?
Scouting has had a program to donate cookies to soldiers for a number of years, K-Girl. As far as not seeing them out selling cookies, the Girl Scout district in Northeast Ohio has forbidden scouts to run their normal cookie booths outside stores because of the Plague situation right now. Loverly's troop found this out just as they received their entire order - both for cookie orders placed back in December and all the extra boxes that they had planned on selling in the booths based on previous years' sales. Hundreds and hundreds of boxes that were now looking for homes. :glare: Well, Loverly and the other leader are no dummies. One of the ways they've moved along most of those "stock cookies" was by letting everyone they could think of that they were now offering "Thank You" bundles for Covid heroes - the nurses and doctors on the front line, the emergency personnel support staff, anyone and everyone who is helping out during this pandemic. At last count about a month ago, they had just a few dozen boxes total! I'm sure they're all gone by now. BUT do not dismay. Locate a local Girl Scout troop, the District office, or anyone you know in scouting and find out if they have even had their sales yet. Different parts of the country have their sales at different times. You might get lucky yet!

If all else fails, hope you run across an Aldi store when you can travel again. They have their own versions of Samoas, Thin Mints, and peanut butter cookies that are nearly identical to GS cookies - and at far cheaper prices (GS up here were $5/box, same cookies at Aldi are between 89 cents and $1.24). This past year we didn't order cookies from Loverly's troop. Instead, I went to Michael's to get a gift card for the leaders' to use to buy craft supplies for troop projects. Troops can't accept money donations, but gift cards are perfectly legal. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom