5/20/2019 - World Bee Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't do it today, but yesterday I planted a bed of alyssum seeds, specifically for the bees. This year, I dug up the original patch of them that I had out there, to plant asparagus in that area, so I wanted to replace them. Probably won't be as thick this season, but eventually they will get established, and they re-seed every year, so they are a "no work item", eventually. I'm not one for planting flowers - if I can't eat it, I don't grow it - but these low growing flowers attracted bees and other pollinators all season, so I've had them for years.

My thyme, Syrian oregano, and chives are all blooming now, and attracting bees, and all other sorts of pollinating insects.

Open face roast beef, mashed potato sammies with leftover roast beef from the freezer. Gravy was sauteed onions, plus flour, demi and some beef and chicken stock. Brocoflower for the vege.

Attachments

• 2019-05-20 18.43.01.jpg
    2019-05-20 18.43.01.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 134
First time in a long time I made Chinese pepper steak over rice. I had been using flank steak but tried a different cut, London Broil/shoulder steak. It worked out quite well. Tender, tasty and a lot less expensive.

It was close to 80 degrees today, so I made us our first dinner salads of the season. I had half an Aldi's baguette in the freezer, so I defrosted it and warmed it in the toaster oven. IMG_20190520_201020568_HDR.jpg

We ordered Thai food. One order of pad salad and one order of pad Thai. We shared. It was pretty good. I also ordered an imperial roll and a couple of chicken wings. Those are really tasty, crispy wings.

Last night's Chili Dogs, Fries and String Beans. Mac Salad.....

I detest breads that have been frozen, but until they start selling Buns in a Two-Pak, I must suffer....

Chili Dogs.jpg

I'd kill for a proper chilli dog, well, not really, but sure with I could have one, made with Cher-Make natural casing wieners, and a home-made chili, but thicker that standard Great Lakes chili, but not that sweet stuff they serve up in southwestern Michigan. Oh, and it should have some 3 to 5 year old greated cheddar on top, and chopped onions, and sweet pickle relish (relish is optional), all between halves of a grilled bun. Dogs and bus can either be cooked on griddle, or over low heat charcoal. The hot dogs can also be split lengthwise, and fried in cast iron, or roasted on a stick, or microwaved for full flavor. Equally good is a proper kielbasa, or polish sausage with chili and cheese.

Then again, a dog or sausage with sour kraut and ketchup is pretty darn tasty.
Can you tell I miss my sausages?

Can you say yum!

Oh, and in honor of beef day, I'm thinking toasted English Muffin with butter and honey on one side, and cream cheese on the other.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom