6/13/2019 - Kitchen Klutzes Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Late breakfast was poached eggs and Bakery seeded rye toast.

breakfast_poached_eggs_061219_IMG_5885.jpg

rye_toast_061219_IMG_5886.jpg

I've had numerous burns and cuts (to me), spills and burns (to food) in the kitchen. But nothing serious like fires or explosions either.

Some other National Days for today:

June 13

Interesting, fun article.. I qualify for Kitchen Klutzes Day.. :ohmy:

The article took me back my Army stint at Fort Gordon.. I attended Military Police school there in 1957.. I was 18 and it was my first time away from California and an interesting experience..

Our non klutze dinner was going out for southern fried chicken, mashed w/gravy and a green salad.. Was quite good..

Cake later..

Ross

We will be ordering out for supper. We haven't decided what yet.

I have set something on fire. I was cooking game hens for company and they caught fire in the toaster oven. I don't remember what I fed my guests instead. Maybe I rescued enough of it. I had thrown baking soda on the fire to put it, which worked well, but then my food was covered in baking soda. I don't try to cook game hens in the t.o. anymore.

Last edited:
I'm a full-fledged klutz, in kitchen and out. I'm surprised I haven't broken any bones. :ermm: I've just jinxed myself, right? :LOL: I did have a kitchen incident, though. Setting the scene: I had just started using my new, glass-top stove. To protect the burner underneath my tea kettle, I had a lightweight pot holder. I think you know where this is going. :LOL: Once cooled, it took but a minute to peel that melted fabric off the stove. The stench in the house? I bit longer...

Dinner. Gah, it's soup weather. :neutral: Does't feel like mid-June, for sure. I'm making a favorite Southern Living recipe, quick chicken and barley stew. Lots of knife-work with this one. Wish me luck.

I've had quite a few.
-Taken off 1/3 of the side of my baby finger in the mandolin.

-Burnt a pot past redemption (don't remember what it was but just threw out the pot- I didn't even try to clean it.)

-Boiled so many kettles dry I've lost count. One kettle melted onto the burner.

-Boiled a pot of eggs dry - think I even posted a picture here of that one.

I'm sure there's many more :angel: :LOL: too many to remember.

Smoothie, kale, romaine, flax meal, apple, tomato, cantaloupe. Pinto beans with pickled onions, whole wheat bun with bean spread.

Hub and I are having a late dinner with DD#2 after she gets home from work. DD#1 had salad and something else for dinner.
So hub and I had a salad to hold us over.

Salad (Trader Joe's Sorrento blend greens, Trader Joe's Wild baby arugula, dandelion greens, black olives, green olives, anchovy fillet, grape tomatoes, Trader Joe's cave aged blue cheese crumbles, hard boiled egg and strawberries) dressed with EVOO, red wine vinegar and spices.

salad_061319_IMG_5890.jpg

We will be ordering out for supper. We haven't decided what yet.

I have set something on fire. I was cooking game hens for company and they caught fire in the toaster oven. I don't remember what I fed my guests instead. Maybe I rescued enough of it. I had thrown baking soda on the fire to put it, which worked well, but then my food was covered in baking soda. I don't try to cook game hens in the t.o. anymore.

My SIL/BIL invited us over for dinner. She was cooking a brisket in the oven. I ran to the store to get something we needed.

My SIL was checking the brisket, and it caught on fire. Instead of closing the oven, turning off the heat, and letting it go out, my BIL emptied a fire extinguisher on it.

I got back to pandemonium. The whole kitchen, including my BIL, was covered in a thin layer of white powder. This is the same BIL I nicknamed "The Steak Murderer." :LOL:

CD

https://www.fortgordon.com/kitchen-klutzes-of-america-day/

I've had my share of spills, breaks, etc., but I've never set anything on fire or had anything explode in the microwave. Anything you're willing to admit to?

Dinner tonight will be Greek meatballs (ground lamb) with tzatziki, orzo, and a house salad.
I've had the normal minor cuts and burns - nothing first aid couldn't take care of.

I don't have a lot of spoons tonight, so we're having an easy dinner - PF Chang's Orange Chicken over leftover rice & orzo with sugar snap peas and marinated cucumbers.

Thinking back, I did have a kitchen doofus incident. I have a Weber gas grill, and I was a little remiss in cleaning out the tray underneath the burners. There was enough greasy junk in there to catch fire, with flames shooting all around the grill. I quickly turned off the gas from the bottle and stood well back until it burned out. Since then I've become religious about cleaning the grill.

Tonight's dinner was breakfast. I cooked two pounds of bacon in the oven, made home fries in a CI skillet and we fried some eggs.

My most recent kitchen disaster was tonight. When moving the bacon pans around in the oven, a little bacon fat splashed out of a pan and ignited on the bottom of the oven. The fire was short-lived and no bacon was harmed in the cooking and flaming process.

SO wondered if the cookies she's planning to bake tomorrow will taste like bacon. I decided to maintain domestic tranquility and ran a self-clean cycle.

I sure hope tomorrow isn't national cut off your finger day of something similar.

Lamb loin chops (braised in chicken broth and lemon juice), buttered Trader Joe's Pappardelle and sautéed mushroom caps.

lamb_061319_IMG_5896.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom