6/20/2017 It's Taco Tuesday, Whatcha Havin'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Tako Tuesday.jpg
[photo courtesy of Laid Back Poke Shack in Holladay, UT]
(Tako in Japanese is Octopus ;), this is big bowl of Octopus Poke :yum:)

I just couldn't resist when I saw this on Face Book :LOL:

We've been up since 4am and decided that dinner would be,
NOW! We're starving!

001.jpg
Steamed New Zealand Green Lip Mussels over thick Spaghetti, all tossed with EVOO, fresh Herbs from the Patio Pot Garden and some grated Grana Padano for DH.

002.JPG
Sprouts had a special on frozen Lobster Tails :yum:
Steamed, chopped and served again over thick Spaghetti with the fixin's as above :pig:

I'm allergic to Mussels and DH is allergic to Lobster, but we each had a restaurant quality meal in the comfort of our home.
Now, I think we need a nap :ROFLMAO:

Whatcha havin'?

Yum! that looks so good. Already had dinner, it's 10:30 pm here. Made burgers and baked chips. Homemade junk food lol. Night everyone.

Hubby saw Tequila on the counter and asked if we were having tacos! :LOL: When I make ground beef tacos with my homemade spice blend, I use a little tequila to moisten it rather than water. Muy bueno! No taco, though that sounds good. Instead, it's part of the marinade I mixed up for brining double-thick, bone-in pork chops. (A little tequila, a little lime juice, salt and water) I'll season them up with Penzeys Jerk Pork Seasoning (because I'm out of Spice House's Jamaican Jerk Seasoning, which I prefer) and Himself will do the grilling honors while I steam broccoli and make lime-infused rice with black beans. Dark and Stormys before dinner, Dark and Stormys with dinner, maybe Dark and Stormys after dinner...we have a large bottle of Ginger Beer to use.

Chicken fried chicken, sort of. Boneless chicken breasts pounded and pan fried. Sausage gravy since the chix wasn't sharing gravy makings. Mashed potatoes and corn.

I have a few pounds of pork shoulder in the Instant Pot with onions, garlic, jalapeño and a bunch of seasonings, for pork carnitas tacos. About to start another batch of mango salsa to go with it. And I'll reheat the extra rice from yesterday with Mexican seasonings to make another quick side.

We had tacos. 3-4 weeks ago, I saw an episode of Iron Chef Favorite Eats (or something similarly titled) where Alex G. talked about the meatball taco at Johnny Sanchez (a restaurant started by John Besh and Aaron Sanchez). It looked pretty good so I decided to try to copycat it.

YNH5oTWILs8vDzPP_-WCOIh5DETBzfTwEq3V5Jp6nvkpX92IB

Meatballs are g. beef, roasted and pureed poblano, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, fine corn meal, fresh cilantro, adobo seasoning, salt and pepper, cotija cheese. Man are they good. The top sauce is roasted tomatoes, garlic, onion, pureed with chipotle in adobo, cooked off in a little bit of lard, a bit of beef stock, salt and pepper, finished with a pat of butter. There is also chiptole mayo on the bottom. Toppings are more cotija, pickled red onion and cilantro. My copycat attempt was deemed a success at our household.

We have been having spinach salad most nights, because I still have a few gallon bags full of spinach in the frig. Tonight I added snow peas, red onion, minced garlic all from the garden, as well as some celery, carrots and red pepper hummus, and garlic croutons I cheated and toasted with butter, with a homemade vegan ranch dressing.

For some bizarre reason I want fish tonight, but I like crispy deep fat fried fish. You wouldn't think it would be so hard to find something like that here in the Northwest, but most of the fish places up here bake their fish and besides not being crunchy (I'm looking at you, Ivar's), it tastes very bland.

So since I don't want to drive the 30 miles and back to Long John Silver's, I'm going to my favorite fish place, a diner at the local airport if you can believe it. Their prices are horrendous, but for a couple of filets, I can deal with it for once.

So that's dinner. For desert later I'm making a cream cheese and pumpkin layered no-bake pie (well, except for the cream cheese crust which just came out of the oven).

Nope, not losing any weight tonight, I guess.

Last edited:
Himself was busy doing a few repairs around the house ( :ohmy: I know!), so by the time he had the chops done the rice and beans were a tad dry. I ended up adding a can of roasted tomatoes with chilies to jazz it up. He also grilled some fresh pineapple. Delicious supper tonight. :yum: Well, except for a tired avocado that had been lost in the fruit drawer. Ended up pitching the poor thing.

Attachments

• 20170620_213602.jpg
    20170620_213602.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 151
Wow, wow WOW!
Everyone's meals sound just inspirational tonight!!! :chef:
After our LARGE LUNCH aka Supper this afternoon (as my GreatGrandma would call it Supper, we would always have our big meal mid-day in the Summer at her house, and then maybe a sandwich or fresh fruit in the evening time), I thought, ya know, we'll probably be hungry anyways later on this evening, so I grilled some B/S Chicken Thighs with some Broccolini, MMM!
Well, I guess we'll save that for tomorrow, we're really not hungry at all.
It seems that mostly in the Summer Time, having a mid-day meal is best and
maybe a small snack in the evening. Thanks Ma!!

Last edited:
We ended up with tamarind chicken, my take on lemon chicken and big bowl of new potatoes. I so love dill boiled new potatoes, well new potatoes are ace. It the start of summer for us.

I have a few pounds of pork shoulder in the Instant Pot with onions, garlic, jalapeño and a bunch of seasonings, for pork carnitas tacos. About to start another batch of mango salsa to go with it. And I'll reheat the extra rice from yesterday with Mexican seasonings to make another quick side.

The meat in the Instant Pot sounds good, GG - but I would have to take out the jalapeno. Mom has an ulcer and that would just make it worse. I've never had mango salsa. Tried mango one time. I liked it, but it didn't like me. You didn't want to be around me for a day or two.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom