A Salad with Thanksgiving Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SunnyFL

Assistant Cook
Hello,

Does everyone make a green/tossed salad to go along with the turkey dinner at Thanksgiving? I used to do it because daughter-in-law is so picky that she didn't eat anything except turkey and rolls. So, I made a tossed salad because I knew she'd eat that.

Well, they can't be here this Thanksgiving and so I'm wondering whether I even need a salad because of all of the other things I am making to go with the bird.

Thoughts, ideas, anyone?

Thanks!:chef:

I used to but don't anymore. People simply go for the other stuff instead. IF, and a BIG if, I do a salad I either do a Spinach Salad with poppy seed dressing or I do a 7-layer salad. I say spare yourself the trouble. Make a salad over the weekend to go with your leftovers.

No room for salad at Thanksgiving. With all the traditional veggie dishes, salad can wait for the weekend, as kitchenelf said.

Frankly, with all the goodies available, I see no use for bread/rolls either.

No room for salad at Thanksgiving. With all the traditional veggie dishes, salad can wait for the weekend, as kitchenelf said.

Frankly, with all the goodies available, I see no use for bread/rolls either.

DITTO! Those can wait for the turkey/dressing/cranberry relish mini sandwich!!

We always do my Dad's traditional coleslaw recipe with turkey dinner. Its light enough to be a good complement. Search Joe's Famous Coleslaw on here for the recipe.

Edit: nevermind...included the link

Last edited:
You know your family/guests better than anyone --- If there is no particular demand for it, then why waste the time -- and resources!

Have Fun!

Frankly, with all the goodies available, I see no use for bread/rolls either.[/quote]

I never thought about that, but it makes good sense. I am serving alot of carbs anyway. Good, one thing I won't have to make. Thanks.

Until I have Thanksgiving at my sons house. I had never heard of salad (cold food) served, execpt cranberry sauce at T/G.

Jkath has a orange spinach salad on here that is to die for! Very yummy!!

We actually do make a salad to go with our Thanksgiving dinner. It is a combo of Romane and young spinach leaves. Topped with Gorgonzola, chopped walnuts, dried cranberries, croutons, and a raspberry vinaigrette.

no, we don't use a green salad with the dinner. There is way to many other dishes to be filling up on lettuce.

I wait until the next day and put lettuce on my turkey sandwich. My grandmother used to make Waldorf salad sometimes, and my mother always fixed my favorite carrot & pineapple jello (grated carrot, crushed pineapple and orange jello).
No one here even wants cranberry sauce or sweet potatoes, and I don't fix them for just myself. My fave sweet potatoes are simply baked and served with butter, like a baked potato. I haven't tried the roasted ones yet, but I've been pestering my husband about how healthy they are, and I think I have seen signs of an opening mind.

No leafy salad in our house. We do have a "green" salad, which is made of pineapple, cream cheese, melted marshmallows, nuts and lime Jell-O. The recipe has been in my family for over 50 years and is always served at Thanksgiving, Christmas and special occasions. Yep, save the lettuce for sandwiches the next day.

Yeah, I do tons of veggies, but no salad.

I like to include greens at Thanksgiving, doing chard this year.

A salad always gets put out I think out of a sense of obligation... usually he dressing and serving utensils are forgotten and the salad goes back to the kitchen untouched when we are done.... it just cant compete with all the other special food Lasagna, Turkey and all the extras... if my brothers GF is there she will eat it beacuse salad is about all she eats

Hello,

Does everyone make a green/tossed salad to go along with the turkey dinner at Thanksgiving? I used to do it because daughter-in-law is so picky that she didn't eat anything except turkey and rolls. So, I made a tossed salad because I knew she'd eat that.

Well, they can't be here this Thanksgiving and so I'm wondering whether I even need a salad because of all of the other things I am making to go with the bird.

Thoughts, ideas, anyone?

Thanks!:chef:

Personally, I feel a special dinner would feel naked w/o a salad & dinner rolls or bread. What I do is, serve/present the salad in a clear glass bowl (add ingredients of your choice), with salad tongs, & individual salad plates. Guests can help themselves. I heat the dinner rolls last, to come to the table warm & place butter on the table. Go with what you would like to serve for you, as well as your guests. I would also keep in mind (when preparing salad or any dishes for a group), omit nuts or any ingreds your guests may be allergic to. If it is a casual get-together, I set out a variety of dressings for guests to choose from, rather than one specific dressing. Don't forget the salad forks. ;-) Happy Thanksgiving. :)

IMO if there's a salad on the table, I'll likely fill myself up on it out of impulse to be good. I always do that. Is a salad neccessary with everything else? Well...stuffing is sort of like a bread salad ;) So, there's your salad!

I use a cucumber/mushroom in vinagarette salad. It is my one exception to my preference for NOT having courses when I have dinner guests. I generally prefer to be with my guests rather than feel like a servant in the kitchen. So I put the marinated salad in small bowls, plop a few boiled shrimp on top, and have my husband serve it as a first course because I usually need to be making gravy at the last minute. It works well.

in the years that I didn't cook, the tossed green salad was my contribution to the holiday meals. My DH loves to have a tossed green salad with just about everything anyway. I don't prepare one unless specifically asked for it now.

this year I baked pumpkin pies and made my mom's cranberry orange relish. I'm hoping to add some veggie dishes to the reperatoire for next year.

Back
Top Bottom