"American" food.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MJ said:

Oh yes :!: Fried Spam with Peaches

Fry slices of spam on both sides till just starting to brown.....add a 1 pound can of peaches in syrup and cook for about 2 minutes over medium low heat. Yummy :!:

Check this out. The jingles will bring back lots of memories & take a peek at the food timeline. Enjoy. :)

http://www.geocities.com/foodedge/heritage.html

Buckytom, when I first came to California & ordered a bagel & cream cheese in a coffee shop, the waitress looked at me kinda funny & said, we don't serve that here - that's Jewish food. :D :D

american cuisine

there are the common fried chicken and apple pie, but you bring up the point that while many foods in the US have foreign influences, they have also been assimilated. other American foods have been disguised as foreign, chop suey and nachos. So, you could say deep dish pizza and California roll sushi are American foods also.

mish said:
Buckytom, when I first came to California & ordered a bagel & cream cheese in a coffee shop, the waitress looked at me kinda funny & said, we don't serve that here - that's Jewish food. :D :D

lol mish. during my first trip to so. cal., dw and i were eating seafood in a beautiful restaurant in laguna, overlooking the beach. we asked for bread with our dinners, ya know, like dinner rolls, or a baguette or something. the waiter lokked at us funny, disappeared, then came back to ask again what we wanted with a really puzzled look, and eventually showed up with a coupla slices of wonder white bread. i guess they aren't bread people out there on the left coast.
so , of course, i had to make small geometric figures out of the shmushed wonder bread. :D

buckytom said:
mish said:

lol mish. during my first trip to so. cal., dw and i were eating seafood in a beautiful restaurant in laguna, overlooking the beach. we asked for bread with our dinners, ya know, like dinner rolls, or a baguette or something. the waiter lokked at us funny, disappeared, then came back to ask again what we wanted with a really puzzled look, and eventually showed up with a coupla slices of wonder white bread. i guess they aren't bread people out there on the left coast.
so , of course, i had to make small geometric figures out of the shmushed wonder bread. :D

Guess they had an abundance of white bread for the breakfast flock of (Jonathan Livingston) seagulls. If you ordered foccacia, they might have had a better idea what food group you were looking for. :D

Laguna Beach is beautiful, btw.

mish said:
Check this out. The jingles will bring back lots of memories & take a peek at the food timeline. Enjoy. :)

That surprises me mish, southern california is full of Jewish delis and nearly every place serves bagels. Where were you and what year was that. Beverly Hills is especially full of the deli shops.

I'll probably get beaten up for saying this...but my hubby usually says I consider anything not Asian American food.

If he asks "Where do you want to go to eat?" and I say "No American" it means his only options are Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai or Indian.

Goodweed of the North said:
some truly Native American foods:
.....Tomatoes (they were considered poisonous in Europe and were unknown in Asia)..........
Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I think it was Thomas Jefferson who actually got the ball rolling with tomatoes. Before him, most thought they were poisonous, so he ate one in public to prove they were not. Can you imagine the looks on those people's faces when that happened?

Bucky - come back to California - we love bread. It's just those nutty atkins folks who don't....oh yeah, that's most of the county....
well, I love bread anyway!

norgeskog said:
mish said:

That surprises me mish, southern california is full of Jewish delis and nearly every place serves bagels. Where were you and what year was that. Beverly Hills is especially full of the deli shops.

I was in a coffee shop across the street from one of the studios. But, that was many moons ago. Wish you could have seen the waitresses face...clueless

Better yet, wish you could have been there when I went to a fancy shmancy french restaurant, & the waitress told us the specials of the day with a southern accent. Duck L'Orange will never be the same. :D

It is almost impossible to separate "true American" food out. Even the "native American". We are too homogenized. Goodweed came closest when he gave the list of ingredients, but remember, the different tribes didn't have all those available all the time. Especially those who didn't plant and farm, but hunted and foraged. And the fry bread .... well, no one was able to go out and buy a couple quarts of canola oil to fry it in, you had to render animal fat first (any of you ever done that? Not fun). The best you can do is regional cuisine, but even then you get a mish-mash. If you go back a few years, Cajun wasn't the same as Creole, which gets confused. Southern foods are different from region to region. Maryland and Virginia are the south, as is Florida ('though nowadays you wouldn't know it) as is Louisiana, and the food sources were very different.

I'm not even touching on the Scandinavian-based foods of the upper Midwest, the ....

Oh, heck, you can go on forever. Once upon a time, many years ago, my mother said something about a "Chinese" family that owned restaurants in her town. She said it in such away as to imply they weren't Americans. I laughed .... "Mom, they've been in the U.S. for 5 generations. Our family has for .... 3. Don't get me wrong, Mom isn't a bigot, she just wasn't thinking. If you look for American food, it depends on where you are at what given moment.

They're meat pies. It's a heavy pie crust that's filled with beef, onion, potato, and usually rutabaga or carrot. Back in the day, miners used to take them for their meal in the mines because it was easy to carry and would stay somewhat warm. Sometimes, they are baked with strawberry jam in the one end, and that end is eaten last, for dessert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom