An Epic Date Needs An Epic Dinner, 12/13/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Did you notice today's date?
12/13/14
We won't see this date for 100 years...
So what will you be making?

For us, it's pasta night
pasta.jpg
Handmade and cut pasta with some leftover
grilled b/s chicken and veg,
pepper, herbs and then simply dressed with
roasted garlic and Olive Oil
MMM
:yum:

It is Sankta Lucia Day. No saffron buns, here. We'll probably finish off the chili (maybe I could call it Swedish baked beans with a twist...) and I have some peppernuts baked, so we will follow Sankta Lucia tradition a wee bit. Corn tortillas...lefse with a twist...nah.

Nothing epic here. I told DH he has a choice of either leftover lentil soup or leftover tuna casserole. We've got to get rid of stuff, and I notoriously always cook too much.

Last edited:
Beautiful sunny afternoon today, so I'll be grilling a rib eye. Not sure of the sides yet. Probably sautéed mushrooms, and broccoli.

Last edited:
The fish counter at the supermarket looked and smelled good so we bought fish.

I'll have pan fried salmon filet and SO will have baked haddock. We'll have a salad with it.

I haven't been feeling well lately, so I planned an easy dinner tonight. Pan-seared New York strip steaks, baked potatoes and pan-roasted green beans with Penzey's 4S seasoned salt.

,,,We've got to get rid of stuff, and I notoriously always cook too much.
It's not cooking too much, it's planned leftovers. ;)

Stopped at Market Basket yesterday for two things. I did good, ending up with a total of seven items. One of the items was one of those danged rotisserie chickens that has a habit of hopping into my cart as I pass the deli. I've got a pot of Panera's copycat cream of chicken and wild rice soup simmering. We'll have that with small salads and big hunks of crusty bread.

Beautiful sunny afternoon today, so I'll be grilling a rib eye. Not sure of the sides yet. Probably sautéed mushrooms, and broccoli.

Not a great pic, but it sure tasted good. I think I enjoyed the sautéed mushrooms and onions with garlic and parsley just as much as I did the steak. Definitely going to have that as a side more often. :yum:

img_1402196_0_49c4e74c753a88e25ca5766c2d86c819.jpg

Not a great pic, but it sure tasted good. I think I enjoyed the sautéed mushrooms and onions with garlic and parsley just as much as I did the steak. Definitely going to have that as a side more often. :yum:

img_1402198_0_49c4e74c753a88e25ca5766c2d86c819.jpg

Not sure what you're talking about not being a great pic, that looks fantastic, Cheryl!

My fork is damaging my iPad....

:LOL:
Thank you, Dawg! It's a little blurry, and I chowed down on several bites of the steak before I thought to take a pic. :ermm::LOL:

Pasta for us as well.

Chicken and Bacon Sauce for Pasta.

Used the big conchiglie pasta.

A bit messy presentation wise but tasty.

Today's dinner was what a friend named "Surplunky." Fried potatoes, browned ground beef or sausage, mixed together and covered with cream of mushroom soup. Something quick to make when we don't know what to make.

It's not cooking too much, it's planned leftovers. ;)

Stopped at Market Basket yesterday for two things. I did good, ending up with a total of seven items. One of the items was one of those danged rotisserie chickens that has a habit of hopping into my cart as I pass the deli. I've got a pot of Panera's copycat cream of chicken and wild rice soup simmering. We'll have that with small salads and big hunks of crusty bread.

Things just jump into my cart also. I get just about everything on my list, but those crackers I love that weren't on the list jump right into my basket. And they were at the bottom so I wouldn't see them until I got to the register. To late then to put them back. :angel:

Cheryl, that dinner is worthy of making sure you eat every bite. Because if you can't I will be there in a hurry to help you. :angel:

Dipped into the Lipton Onion Soup magic bag and made some mushroom-onion burgers. Made a gorgonzola dressing and caramelized onions as toppings.:yum:

Dipped into the Lipton Onion Soup magic bag and made some mushroom-onion burgers. Made a gorgonzola dressing and caramelized onions as toppings.:yum:

Do you let your meat sit there for a bit to soften and absorb the onion flavor? I think Lipton's Onion Soup has always made the best burgers. :angel:

Do you let your meat sit there for a bit to soften and absorb the onion flavor? I think Lipton's Onion Soup has always made the best burgers. :angel:

Once shaped, the burgers sit at room temp while the coals are started and ready to cook on. I do the same with every "mixed meat", meatballs, meatloaf, etc.... Gotta let the flavors develop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom