Anniversary dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnalex

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I am new to the forum, first post.

My girlfriend and I are coming up on our 2 year anniversary...well 2 years this time of year.... and I want to have a candle lit "picnic" on the beach. Last year we went to the Melting Pot for the anniversary...that was nice, but I want something more romantic this time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can prepare that is classy but still able to be eatin as it it were a picnic?

Thanks
John

...I hope I put this in the right forum.

Welcome aboard!

Start by telling us wehat she likes to eat. A romantic dinner must be made up of things she likes.

hmmm

she likes food..period.

I was thinking some sort of panini, since eating with utensils might be difficult, or maybe somethat that only one utensil is needed for, like some pasta (only a fork...for the most part needed).

She likes viniger based things as well...maybe something like a red cabage saled or something.

any suggestions now?....

thanks for the replies already!

john

Your ideas sound good to me. Panini, maybe a cold pasta salad with rotini and her favorite veggies mixed in and create some sort of olive/canola oil and balsamic dressing. I can give you a recipe for Italian macaroni salad if you like, just let me know and then I can post it in the pasta forum. As for the candles on the beach, they may blow out, so maybe if you could get one of those torches that you stick in the ground, that may not blow out from the wind. Of course a nice bottle of wine, if she likes wine that is. Maybe some chocolate dipped strawberries for dessert?

chocolate dipped strawberies!!!..genious. She loves those.

anyone have any panini ideas?

or anythign else I can put with this ..

so far its a panini, cold pasta dish, and chocolate dipped strawberries.

thanks!

A muffaletta is a very good thing to make ahead also. A round crusty loaf with meats, cheeses, veggies and dressings that she likes. It can be made ahead and cut into wedges on the spot...everything in one sandwich.

Lots of great ideas. But if you're in picnic mode, sometimes really simple is best. Two or three cheeses, a couple of meats, some fruit. Wine. Most important for this is really good bread. Put it in a basket and take her to a romantic location. If you're determined to cook something and still want a picnic feeling, take an entire head of garlic and one lemon, stuff into a chicken, rub with olive oil, S&P, and roast. Good cold.

thanks all for the help!!! I can't believe the ideas I got from posting on here.

So I believe I am going to do a muffaletta...she loves italian meats..so there we go.

So a muffalatte with really good italian loaf and meats and what not.

But first I am thinking of maybe some bruschetta to start things off.

And then the muffalatta with some simple side such as home made "chips" or something.

Then to finish it off I am going with the chocolated covered strawberries.

Thanks ..any more insight or ideas would be good!

johnalex said:
thanks all for the help!!! I can't believe the ideas I got from posting on here.

So I believe I am going to do a muffaletta...she loves italian meats..so there we go.

So a muffalatte with really good italian loaf and meats and what not.

But first I am thinking of maybe some bruschetta to start things off.

And then the muffalatta with some simple side such as home made "chips" or something.

Then to finish it off I am going with the chocolated covered strawberries.

Thanks ..any more insight or ideas would be good!

Since you're already doing something with bread in the muffaletta, it seems kind of redundant to serve a bruschetta as a starter. Why don't you serve an Caprese Salad or Italian style seafood salad.

hmmm thats what I was thinking as well.....italian style seafood saled...good thinking!

I am seriously glad I came here and asked.....:chef:

I favor pasta salads or salads, and the bread won't get soggy - Caprese pasta salad (same as Caprese Salad - just add cooked rotini etc.), shrimp salad, antipasta pasta salad, bring along french bread or homemade garlic bread, fruit (pears, apples, etc.), cheese and wine or champage. If you're a fan of caviar -- bring along and spread on crackers -- or pate. (There are many pate recipes with different main ingredients, depending on what you like.). Lemon pound cake and fresh blueberries for dessert.

This serves 12, but you can put some away for later. Pack and serve in Chinese Take out containers.

"Take Out" Portable Shrimp Salad
Serving Size : 12

3 tbl plus 1 teaspoon salt
1 lemon cut into quarters
4 pounds large shrimp in the shell (16 to 20 shrimp per pound)
2 cups mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tbl white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 tbl minced fresh dill
1 cup minced red onion
3 cups minced celery

Bring 5 quarts of water, 3 tablespoons salt, and the lemon to a boil in a large saucepan. Add half the shrimp and reduce the heat to medium. Cook uncovered for only 3 minutes or until the shrimp are barely cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water. Bring the water back to a boil and repeat with the remaining shrimp. Let cool; then peel, and devein the shrimp.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and dill. Combine with the peeled shrimp. Add the red onion and celery and check the seasonings. Serve or cover and refrigerate for a few hours.

P.S. Don't forget to bring two Champage glasses.

If you have a small vase, place a rose (real preferably) in it, votives can probably burn safely in a little sand in a container.

Last edited:
Another thought, in keeping with the Chinese takeout containers -- if you enjoy Chinese food and eating with chopstix...

You can either make the dishes at home or go to a local takeout place, where you can pick (mix and match) a main dish & a noodle etc. There's a place I like where you can pick up a cold noodle dish, sesame orange chicken, peel 'n eat shrimp, bbq ribs, egg rolls, etc. The rice may not be a good choice cold -- but there are lots of dishes that transport well in the takeout containers, and you could serve with sake and (rig your own) fortune cookies. Sushi is another idea.

Last edited:
I'd never heard of mufalletta before. I've just found a recipe on the Web. Is all that cheese and meat romantic? Sounds tasty but it might leave you feeling a bit bloated, especially with a cold pasta salad. How about a foccacia bread sandwich with salade niçoise with slices of feta cheese rather than hard-boiled egg as the filling? Don't forget to use stoned olives, by the way! The feta will give it a nice acidic flavour if she likes tart things. Go easy on the anchovies. What with them and the feta, you'll be eating a lot of salt and the wine (white or champagne) will disappear far too quickly!

Happy anniversary whatever you choose.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom