any foods you're hooked on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caffiene! Preferably coffee or soda, but I'll drink tea if I have to. Otherwise, I go into withdrawl around noon, and get a really nasty headache.

I have an addiction to seafood, especially shellfish. Last night, I had some crab at both work and home (crabcakes at work, snow crab at home). I usually try to get some kind of shrimp once every week or two. And, my DW and I usually get up to Red Lobster once or twice a year for birthdays, and I always get some form of lobster.

I'm also addicted to a lot of exotic cuisines, especially the spicy ones. I usually end up making some Cajun about once a month. I don't eat as much Chinese as I used to, as the Chinese restaurants up here are quite the same as back in OK. I may have to go back to cooking my own, as for the basic sauce, I like a combination of Soy, Oyster, Hoisin, whatever stock is appropriate for the meat cooked, some ginger, and lots of garlic.

Lately I have a thing for vegetables grilled and then drizzled with basilico vinegar.

Today I made a recipe from one of the River Cafe books. Grilled zucchini sprinkled with mint and slices of hot red pepper. it was sooo delicious. It is to be served as a bruschetta but i don't like the extra oil so I just served it on plain ciabatta.

I also like red and yellow peppers grilled with olive oil. Can't get enough of that stuff.

At least it is healthy as long as you don't use too much olive oil.

Pam

Sweet Pototoes cooked anyway..Love them baked and then cold for breakfast ..
and cheese..anykind

I was pretty hooked on Beer-can chicken for a while, but since the season changed and the grill is put away I got over it.

Now I am still working on that ham salad you guys helped me make.

PS - Brother is 43 today and I turn 45 Monday! Life is good!

There are a few foods I'd rather not have to live without, but the only one I'm truly addicted to is Diet 7Up. If I'm forced to go more than a day without it, I get headachy and out of sorts.

Cats

I'm definitely hooked on Mexican food. I love it home made, and I love good quality Mexican restaurant food, but I also go through regular Taco Bell cravings (when I was applying all over the country for jobs, I made sure there was a Taco Bell within driving distance of each place!). Ever since I found this great Japanese restaurant near us (well, 20 miles!), I have been hooked on that. And when I get a craving for prime rib, I can actually taste it!

My husband knows that once I get that prime rib craving, nothing will stop it until I get it!! The Saturday before Christmas we actually had some money :LOL: when the prime rib craving hit me. We went to a place here in our town. Their prime rib isn't nearly as good as the places 20 miles from here, but my husband was tired. We sat down and ordered a couple ginger ales. Then we ordered our food. The server said that they only serve prime rib on Fridays! My face fell, and my husband said that we would go up to Monroe (NC) to Sagebrush. We got to Sagebrush and ordered a couple root beers. I started telling the server about what had just happened. She said, "I'm sorry, but we just ran out of prime rib!" She brought us our root beers anyway and said that if we decided to leave, we didn't have to pay for the drinks. I told my husband that I hated to make him drive all over creation looking for prime rib, but he said that we would try O'Charley's. We agreed that if O'Charley's was out of prime rib, we would go no farther. We left a tip for our waitress (for bringing the drinks and being understanding) then took off for O'Charley's. Fortunately, O'Charley's had prime rib, and my craving was quenched!

:) Barbara

What a nice hubby Barbara. I love Pizza and buffalo wings. I buy the frozen pizza when I'm lazy and I doctor them up alot.I do make pizza from scratch alot. Also I love spaghetti and meat balls, and fresh deep fried fish.

My 2 cups of hot tea every morning.....I can't go without them.....or should I say no one wants me to go without them because I'm not a morning person ;)

Coke (Coca Cola)...........this saves me a work constantly when I need that surge of energy. Not that new product they've come out with either the one with less sugar.....ugh.....I grabbed this by mistake thinking it was a holiday label and after a few drinks I told middle son, "Somethings wrong with this Coke". He laughed of course and enlightened me :)

Oh yea....I'm sure some of you will cringe but look out when Mickey D's comes out with the McRib........its only around so long and I take full advantage of it. I don't know why but I love those things.

hershey's kisses,cadbury chocolate,cheese,orange juice,warm bread with a lot of butter,tortilla chips with hot salsa,oreo cookies.....

Coffee in the moring is a must.....
then I drink HOT water all day long ...

Chocolate!!!

If there is a heaven, and I manage to crawl under the fence when no one is looking, they will serve peanut butter noodles.

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, peanut butter noodles.

A diner that serves Ipswich clams, steamed and fried, would be nice too.

And every once in a while French onion soup the way I make it.

pdswife1 said:
Coffee in the moring is a must.....
then I drink HOT water all day long ...

Chocolate!!!
your skin must be clear n smooth,cuz i heard hot water can do wonders to your skin,is that right? and i love chocolate too :)

SizzlininIN said:
Oh yea....I'm sure some of you will cringe but look out when Mickey D's comes out with the McRib........its only around so long and I take full advantage of it. I don't know why but I love those things.

I know full well what you mean about the McRib sandwich. I remember, as a kid, when they first appeared in Virginia. I couldn't get enough of them. Shortly thereafter, my family moved to OK, and they didn't have McRibs! Whaaa!

Once or twice, McRibs were offered as a special for a month in OK, in the 20 years I lived there. But, whenever we made a trip into Missouri, guess what? McRib's everywhere! I think the Franchise that operates in Missouri keeps them all the time.

When I moved from OK to MI, we stopped for lunch in Missouri. I made a bee-line for the nearest Micky-D's and got a McRib combo.

About a year ago, McRib's were offered as a monthly special at the Micky-D's here in MI. I did manage to get one, but for some reason, I wasn't really thrilled with it. I guess either my tastes have moved past the McRib, or I've grown tired of it.

crewsk said:

Same here... they just put out this peanut lovers one that just worsens the adiction. I am also addicted to sunchips, mountain dew and spicy pickled sausages.

As for "flavors" I use way too much in cooking it would have to be my collection of curry powders, pastes and oils. Sometimes Im frying rice and next thing I know there's curry in it... how it god there... who knows... ;)

Dove said:
Sweet Pototoes cooked anyway..Love them baked and then cold for breakfast ..
and cheese..anykind

Marge, if you like sweet potatoes, you'll love this recipe. I made it for T-giving and have been addicted ever since!

Brown Sugar-Glazed Sweet Potato Wedges

1/4 c unsalted butter
3/4 c packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg (I omitted)
1/4 tsp ginger
1 (3") cinnamon stick (I used 1 tsp ground cinnamon instead)
4 lb sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in half crosswise, and cut into 1/2" wedges
Cooking Spray

Preheat oven to 400F.

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar, water, salt, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon, and bring to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Discard cinnamon stick, if using. Combine sugar mixture and potato wedges in a large bowl, toss well to coat. Arrange potato mixture on a large jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400F for 40 minutes or until tender, stirring after 20 minutes.

This can be made up to two days ahead, and stored, covered, in the refrigerator. Reheat at 350F, covered for 20 minutes, or until heated through. If desired, finish the dish under the broiler to recrisp the edges of the potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom