Any sweets for sweetie, today? Dinner, Saturday 10-19-13.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Since today is Sweetest Day...at least that's what the greeting card folks tell us. What's on your table for your sweet?

Woke up this morning to a chilly, windy morning with rain. Lots of leaves getting knocked off the trees so it seemed like a soup kind of day.

There was lots of juice/broth left from last night's short ribs and I hated to toss it. I used that as a base for my soup. Took out a package of homemade potato rolls from the freezer to have warm with butter along with the soup.

Glenn's helping his son again today and he'll be cold and tired when he gets home so soup should be just about right.

What is everyone else having?

We're dining out with friends tonight. Not sure what's for dinner, wither Italian or middle eastern.

raining,dark,dismal & colder than a penguins chuff over 'ere in manchester so i thought "'arry,a dollop of chinese grub wouldn't go amiss" so i thawed out a pack of drummers & thighs,just enough to get the thighs out & made......
steamed blackbean chicken thighs with stirfried noodles.ice cold tsingtao beer...you can't beat a nice moist thigh:yum:!!

Attachments

• STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 003.JPG
    STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 003.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 166
  • STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 004.JPG
    STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 004.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 160
  • STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 001.JPG
    STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 001.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 159
  • STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 002.JPG
    STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 002.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 168
  • STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 006.JPG
    STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 006.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 171
  • STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 005.JPG
    STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 005.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 172
  • STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 007.JPG
    STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 007.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 164
  • STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 008.JPG
    STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 008.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 156
  • STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 009.JPG
    STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 009.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 168
  • STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 010.JPG
    STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 010.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 152
  • STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 011.JPG
    STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 011.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 205
  • STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 012.JPG
    STEAMED BLACK BEAN CHICKEN 012.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 159
Chicken with garlic and shallots. It's an Alton Brown recipe, where you brown a whole cut up chicken in olive oil, place 10 small, halved shallots, 10 cloves of garlic, a few sprigs of fresh sage, thyme, and parsley in a dutch oven with more olive oil (about 1/2 cup) cover and bake. It's kind of like a braise, but he calls it a "slow fry". All I know is the chicken comes out soft and flavorful and the oil infused with all of that stuff along with some chicken fat is amazing! I'll fish out some roasted garlic cloves and put them in some mashed potatoes. Serve this with homemade baguette.

For dessert, pecan pie. This pie is Rob's reward for putting up with multiple apple desserts over the past few weeks. He hated apple anything until he met me, and now he kind of likes it.

I'm trying a Rhee Drummond recipe for shredded chuck roast made with pepperocini. I'm using my crockpot. We'll eat the beef on crusty italian bread with provolone. Marinated cucumbers and tomato salad on he side. I picked up the first pumpkin pie of the season and some whipped cream. That should work nicely and with very little fuss on my part.

We are having left overs. Ate spaghetti, ham, macaroni and cheese, corn pudding. Not sure what else is in there to nosh on but we plan to clear it out pretty good today.

And bread and butter, right?

No, at least my mittens are dry! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

When I was a kid we had Sunbeam white bread and ice cold butter that would tear a hole clean through it!

Little_miss_sunbeam_logo.jpg

Strawberry pretzel pie from the other night's United Way take and bake. It's surprisingly good. A bottom layer of crushed pretzels and walnuts, another layer of cream cheese/whipped cream, and a top layer of cooked strawberries. I would post a pic, but frankly it looks like a crime scene.

lol, Dawg. Crime scene or not, that does sound yummy. :LOL: I'm trying to keep away from the dozen Krispy Kreme donuts I bought yesterday for a school fundraiser. I'll have maybe two, then give the rest to my daughter and her family. :angel:
Would have much rather seen something other than donuts for a fundraiser, though....

Last edited:
lol, Dawg. Crime scene or not, that does sound yummy. :LOL: I'm trying to keep away from the dozen Krispy Kreme donuts I bought yesterday for a school fundraiser. I'll have maybe two, then give the rest to my daughter and her family. :angel:
Would have much rather seen something other than donuts for a fundraiser, though....

I have the same problem with fundraisers, now I just give the kids a donation and make a run for it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Chicken with garlic and shallots. It's an Alton Brown recipe, where you brown a whole cut up chicken in olive oil, place 10 small, halved shallots, 10 cloves of garlic, a few sprigs of fresh sage, thyme, and parsley in a dutch oven with more olive oil (about 1/2 cup) cover and bake. It's kind of like a braise, but he calls it a "slow fry". All I know is the chicken comes out soft and flavorful and the oil infused with all of that stuff along with some chicken fat is amazing! I'll fish out some roasted garlic cloves and put them in some mashed potatoes. Serve this with homemade baguette.

For dessert, pecan pie. This pie is Rob's reward for putting up with multiple apple desserts over the past few weeks. He hated apple anything until he met me, and now he kind of likes it.

That sounds fabulous.
I did a homemade pizza and strawberry shortcake. Still waiting to see if hubby even acknowledges the day.

My tastebuds couldn't be happier right now.
Thanks for the recipe, Harry.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 204
That looks delish, Pac! Good job!

My sweetie wanted liver and onions...he got liver and onions, garlic butter broasted potatoes and a chocolate bar.

Now I have to go finish cooking up the liver...for snacks later in the week.

Back
Top Bottom