Anyone Cookin Dinner 12/7, Pearl Harbor Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
My supermarket has those huge potatoes for baking. They're about @ bucks each but worth it if that's the main course. They are the size of the ones used at Capitol Grill. I'll pick up two and do the same as was mentioned yesterday by SierraCook for the Mexican spuds. I love those and with all the fillings you can add, it's a meal in itself. I like ours with cottage cheese, home made salsa, scallions, 4 cheese mix, and then crumbled taco chips on top.

^^^^^^^Thanks for the idea SierraCook. I needed one:wacko:

What are you making tonight?

Last edited:
I've got a pork loin thawing... not sure what to do with it though. Any ideas? I don't cook pork very often and really have no clue.

Thanks bucky.
I'll print and save this one.

Paul took the car to work today so a trip to the store is out of the question.
I don't have fennel or apples at home and I think if you left those two things out it wouldn't quite work.

:):):):):)

I love pork with fruit too! Another favourite is with sage and onion. Saute a mass of onions (sweat don't brown them), and then remove them from the pan and set aside. Sear your pork on all sides quickly in the same frying pan and transfer to a roasting pan. Scatter the onions over and around the pork, add a little water or broth (I can't cook with wine, but white would work here too) and rub some dried sage powder into the meat (with any other seasonings that you like). Bake at abour 200 degrees (my oven is the pitts, so that may need to be adjusted if you have a normal oven) for at least an hour and a half (depends on the size of the pork loin and how well done you like yours to be), basting every so often with the pan juices :)

pdswife, any firm (non-citrus) fruit will do, in both mine and piccolina's dishes. do you have any fruit at home, like pears, or peaches, or even grapes?

buckytom said:
pdswife, any firm (non-citrus) fruit will do, in both mine and piccolina's dishes. do you have any fruit at home, like pears, or peaches, or even grapes?
Ohhh I love both peaches and pears with pork, they are soooo awesome together. Of all the meat's I've tried I think that pork best compliments fruit.

I've got onions and sage so I'll try this.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!
You are very welcome!!! :)

Bananas
lemons
and an orange that should have been tossed a few days ago.

I do have some canned peaches ( home canned not in a tin can)

I'll try the fruit next time
but for tonight the onion and sage will do nicely.
Thanks for your help guys. :)

Pdswife, I forgot to mention that you can drizzle some olive oil (or other oil of your choice) over the met before it goes in the oven. Or if you fried the onions in oil and have any left in the frying pan, you can add that. If you find that the onions in the roasting pan are getting too dark, just remove them with a slotted spoon, set aside and serve (re-warmed if need be) with the finish roast.

As well I bake this in the oven covered, and just take the lid/foil off for the last 30 or so minutes to really help it take on a nice crispy golden brown colour :)

Hubby says to tell you all he's made some "kick-***" chili - not for sissies. I'll be putting mine over corn chips and topped with sharp cheddar cheese.
It's soooooo cold - a great chili night!

Thank you to all our veterans - those who have passed and those still with us!!

We had marinated/broiled pork chops, green beans, and pasta in a white sauce. Kind of a throw something together night. I am cold and wanna curl up on the couch with my kiddo and a snuggle blankie and read books!

Was busy most of the day, so just threw together a puff pastry tomato, herb tart with swiss cheese..and some lettuce and green bean soup...Left over mini cream puffs are dessert

kadesma:)

LEFSElover said:
My supermarket has those huge potatoes for baking. They're about @ bucks each but worth it if that's the main course. They are the size of the ones used at Capitol Grill. I'll pick up two and do the same as was mentioned yesterday by SierraCook for the Mexican spuds. I love those and with all the fillings you can add, it's a meal in itself. I like ours with cottage cheese, home made salsa, scallions, 4 cheese mix, and then crumbled taco chips on top.

^^^^^^^Thanks for the idea SierraCook. I needed one:wacko:

What are you making tonight?

You are very welcome, lefselover. I fell asleep on the couch. I was going to make Chinese pepper steak, but since I took a unplanned nap I did not feel like making the pepper steak. So, I had the leftovers from the Mexican spuds I made last night.

Last edited:
dw had a really bad day and needed to go to the mall (i think they sent her a get well card because they hadn't seen her in a few weeks), so i was on my own, with nothing ready to make or eat. all i had was leftover mac and cheese, to which i added cubed and fried linguica, sliced ham, diced sweet onions, pickled habaneros and cherry tomatoes, and topped it with some muenster cheese and baked it.
not bad for a thrown together bunch of leftovers.

i had a long day of shopping and an appointment yesterday, so my Mom and i had pizza. i had ricotta on mine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom