Anyone ever try Crowberry jelly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrémeBrulée

Assistant Cook
How did you like it?

I've been told crowberries grow in the northern parts of North America, but have never heard of them being used for food, except by the aboriginal people in the olden days, who used to dry them for winter storage.

In fact, crowberries seem to be little regarded outside Iceland, which surprises me, because I have always liked crowberry jelly better than blueberry jam/jelly, and so does just about everyone who has tasted both.

Last edited:
A friend doing research in Iceland (history) brought me a jar of crowberry jam. It tasted good.

I also like cloudberries, and have eaten them in various puddings and cakes in Norway and other Scandinavian countries.

Crowberries are small, black berries that grow on a plant that has a resemblance to juniper. They are easily overlooked in favour of blueberries, bilberries and other wild berries because they are so small. When they grow in the right soil, they taste quite sweet, but I have come across crowberries that had very little flavour, which is perhaps another reason people avoid them. But they are well worth the effort of picking and making into jelly. My mother makes about 15 jars of jelly every autumn, and several bottles of crowberry syrup which we mix with water for using with puddings and for drinking.

Photo (several times life size) of crowberries

A bit about habitat and uses

Crowberries grow in abundance in Newfoundland. We always used them to make a delicious cake made with molasses. I have never tried them in a jelly or syrup but am certainly going to now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom