Anyone experienced Poutine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Had some today, at a place here in Vancouver.
What a comfort food.
So delicious.
Would like to make at home for the hubby but don't know about cheese curds. Where to buy, what are they, etc.

Hey LEFSElover.... my friend Beth who lives on Vancouver Island told me about this and how good it is. It sounds crazy, but being of the thought 'don't knock it till you try it', I will wait to comment on it after I have tried it. She said it is a big deal in Canada. So am I gonna have to make it myself or is there actually some place in Texas I can find this stuff???

I love poutine! It's not really the "healthies" thing to eat, but every summer when I take my Canadian vacation/fishing trip, I usually eat it at every stop!:chef:

Had some today, at a place here in Vancouver.
What a comfort food.
So delicious.
Would like to make at home for the hubby but don't know about cheese curds. Where to buy, what are they, etc.

Order cheese curds. chances are the ones you will find locally are not fresh. there is a huge difference between fresh curds and ones that have set around.

A good cheese curd will actually squeak when you bite into it.

A good cheese curd will actually squeak when you bite into it

You say that like a true Quebecer!!!!!:) It's true, really fresh ones will actually squeak. I can get them here, but they are not very fresh, and quite expensive. I usually buy mine in Quebec, and freeze them. They do suffer a bit, but to me it's better than no poutine at all!

I may be off base here Jill... basically it is french fries with cheese and brown gravy on top. Correct me if I am wrong.

It sounded strange to me when I first heard about it, but my friend says "It's the bomb!"

... basically it is french fries with cheese and brown gravy on top.

You've got to be kidding me!?! Here I am thinking, "What is this fancy, exotic, French delicacy of which they speak?" And it's smothered fries!

Sounds terrific, though, I love me some cheese and potatoes and sauce. There's a place here in the 'burgh called the North Park Clubhouse Lounge that makes a platter of fries topped with shredded mozz, #10-can yellow cheese sauce, crumbled bacon, scallions and ranch dressing. God I love Pittsburgh!
:pig:

You say that like a true Quebecer!!!!!:) It's true, really fresh ones will actually squeak. I can get them here, but they are not very fresh, and quite expensive. I usually buy mine in Quebec, and freeze them. They do suffer a bit, but to me it's better than no poutine at all!

I get mine from Wisconsin... where there really fresh!!! (LOL)... There are places that will mail order and ship the same day the curds are bagged. I have recently gotten hooked on the garlic basil curds... Addictive!!!!

You've got to be kidding me!?! Here I am thinking, "What is this fancy, exotic, French delicacy of which they speak?" And it's smothered fries! :pig:

I think my reaction was pretty much the same when my friend asked me if I ever had poutine... I said, "Have I ever had what???"

Just looked at "Janet is Hungry." She makes it look awfully good compared to some of the other photos google came up with.

She says,

"The best Poutine will be made with thick, fresh cut french fries, real cheese curds (not grated mozzarella) and a beef veloute sauce. If you have never had Poutine, my advice is DO NOT make this recipe. Once you get a taste of this, you will be hooked like me."

I think I'll ignore her warning and try the recipe on her site!:w00t2:

Wisconsin Cheese Mart ships them fresh, & offers a variety of flavors. I gave the link to them in my previous post on this thread.

In the summer, we take all of our out of town guests to Le Chien Noir in Kingston, Ontario. They make a poutine with fresh cut fries, duck confit, fresh gravy & fresh cheese curds...it is to die for.

They make a poutine with fresh cut fries, duck confit, fresh gravy & fresh cheese curds...it is to die for.

Oh my, Kingston's only a few hours away!!!:) Rob Feenie (when he was at Lumiere) and Martin Picard of APC in Montreal both do one with foie gras. I love the stuff!!!

You've got to be kidding me!?! Here I am thinking, "What is this fancy, exotic, French delicacy of which they speak?" And it's smothered fries!

Sounds terrific, though, I love me some cheese and potatoes and sauce. There's a place here in the 'burgh called the North Park Clubhouse Lounge that makes a platter of fries topped with shredded mozz, #10-can yellow cheese sauce, crumbled bacon, scallions and ranch dressing. God I love Pittsburgh!
:pig:

Me too!!:LOL:
I like the chilie cheese fries too. I'll have to check these out.

I am planning a trip to PEI this summer. I hope to experience this while traveling the area. Looks like a must have!

I'm late to the party and resurrecting an old thread. :) I'm from Canada, and yeah, poutine really is all that and then some. Not at all healthy, but man, when you're in heaven with that, who cares?

There are some variations on the theme that include chili and sour cream. Serious overkill. And most of the times I've had poutine, it's been a meal in itself. In case that wasn't really obvious that there's that much substance to it. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom