AP: New Menus Causing Calorie Sticker Shock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kleenex said:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=541&ncid=541&e=9&u=/ap/20041221/ap_on_he_me/fit_menu_labels
It would be a nice thing if all fast food resturants put the nutitional information on the stuff that they sell. It would only at most 1 cent per label.
It would also be nice if resturants put the nutritional information on the menus.
It would be nice know if something is low sodium if you are on a special diet.

I had heard that they were going to have to put at least fat info on menus, which in some cases will scare the crap out of people. I got a calorie book for my daughter, which included well known restaurants and their most popular foods, it gives fat, carbs, and calories. If you have ever eaten the Awesome Blossom at Chilis - 2800 calories and I have forgotten the fat but that is one days calories no more food that day.

I know it will scare the crap out of people, but this is vital information people must know.

Alot of the food in a major chain resturant is high calorie, high sodium, high fat food and we all know that is what makes the food taste good.

I would not mind seeing the full nutritional information next to a 72ounce steak meal:
http://www.bigtexan.com/index2.html

The 5 years I lived and worked in Denver were made more tolerable by the knowledge that when I drove home twice a year I would be eating at the Big Texan in Amarillo ... on the way down home and on the way back. Fantastic food ... I would geat a steak going one way .... chicken fried steak going the other way. No, I never took the 72 oz steak challenge. I can eat a lot ... but did you ever see a 72 oz (4.5 pound) steak???!!!! You tackle that - nutritional analysis is the least of your worries ....

We all pretty much know what foods are high in calories, carbs, etc. - and we know what taste good. Do you REALLY need a label to tell you that the foods you're eating are not the best in the world for you if you're counting calories?

I'll put it this way ... I had a friend who got on a kick and started complaining about the lack of nutritional info on restaurant food .... and I asked him if he knew the nutritional value of every meal he ate at home. I never heard another complaint from him ...

Nutrional analysis for restaurants? No thanks. I think it is both unecessary and an incredible inconvenience to restaurant owners.

You go to a restaurant to enjoy and savour the food, not worrying about if your going to have to spend an extra 30 minutes exercising later that day because you had that Panna Cotta for desert instead of the grilled fruit with berry coulis.

I would be against the labels as I think they are not needed, and they would limit how creative chefs and restaurants could be with their menus. Imagine that, having to do a nutrional content analysis everytime you wanted to put a daily/chef's special on the board.

Overall I would say it's a bad idea, with exception of foods indicated as low carb/fat. Otherwise one should just assume that a 72oz steak or what ever is none to good for ya. ;)

Haggis said:
Nutrional analysis for restaurants? No thanks. I think it is both unecessary and an incredible inconvenience to restaurant owners.

You go to a restaurant to enjoy and savour the food, not worrying about if your going to have to spend an extra 30 minutes exercising later that day because you had that Panna Cotta for desert instead of the grilled fruit with berry coulis.

I would be against the labels as I think they are not needed, and they would limit how creative chefs and restaurants could be with their menus. Imagine that, having to do a nutrional content analysis everytime you wanted to put a daily/chef's special on the board.

You do not have to do it on like a daily special, but if it is a regular menu item I would like to know the nutrition information. People on special diets would love this information.

I agree with Haggis. Most of us do not need to eat at restaurants, fast food or otherwise. Especially nowadays, it is getting easier and easier to put a healthy, home cooked meal on the table, where you know exactly what is in the food. When you go out, you know it is "sin" (obviously I'm saying that tongue in cheek). So lay back and enjoy it. I personally do NOT want to count calories, fat grams, carbs, etc, when I go out to eat. I might add that I took home ec for all of my jr and high school years, and can pretty much tell you what foods have what in them. My Mom also was a superb nutritionalist, albeit unschooled. In other words, if you haven't figured out that all fat is fat and has the same grams of fat and the same calories, and all complex carbs that are white are about the same, etc, etc, etc ... then you need to pick up a class in nutrition at your local community college. It isn't the restaurant's fault. And I'm willing to help!!!! By the way, most fast food restaurants do have their nutritional values if you just ask.

Back
Top Bottom