Applesauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Side dish or dessert??

When I was growing up, applesauce was always a side dish, especially if we were also having mashed potatoes.

This guy I'm in love with :wub:from South Philly insists it is a dessert.

What do you think?

It's almost apple picking time, so soon I'll be making batches of apple sauce to serve beside chive studded mashed potatoes. I told Lou when he's real old and too feeble to fight me, I'm going to feed him the applesauce with the mashed potatoes on the same fork:devilish:

Me, too!

Apple sauce is traditional here with roast pork.

But, it is great as an accompaniment to or integral part of various puddings, too.

It could be used either way really. For me it is a dessert. So why not make a side dish for you and a dessert for him :chef:

Little Miss J said:
I have only made applesauce once to have with roast pork...it was good. I didn't even know it was a dessert

LMJ...I only have it with pork also! Must be an antipodean thang!!:)

both, plus a vehicle for children's medicine, and a way to reduce fat and calories in baked goods..

i don't think i new that i evertook a pill as a kid, but i was forcefed tons of applesauce.

funny you should mention this, because we had applesauce with dinner, as a side dish with shake-n-bake pork chops. actually, mine is more of a topping for the chop.
but it has to be ice cold when it goes on the hot pork chop.

Applesauce was always a dessert when I was a kid. As an adult, it's a serious source of annoyance. Every time I cook any dish with pork. SO insists on a little applesauce with the pork.

amber said:
It could be used either way really. For me it is a dessert. So why not make a side dish for you and a dessert for him :chef:

Amber, half the fun of being in love is being able to tell the other person they are wrong...and then kiss them.:wub:

I loe apple sauce. Its so iconic in my household the words mingle and it is refered to as applsoss....pet names for food! lol

I have it in winter, hot, as breakfast, in summer cold the same, with porridge or yoghurt, or alone with cinnamon or nutmeg. Its also great with plain yoghurt. Or with dates added and a bit of orange flower water.....there are so many breakfast variables.....

Thats how I have it, breakfast or next to pork....I don't think I hae ever serve roast pork or pork chops without apple sauce, or at the very least a baked apple!

Back
Top Bottom