Are you able to put some ethnic on the table? 7-30-17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
I'm celebrating my 60th B-day with Sauerbraten, Rotkohl and Kartoffelklosse. Made the Rotkohl yesterday and pickled the beef on Friday.

Chicken soup today and lunches for a few days. The stock is simmering.

Happy birthday.

GD should be home for dinner tonight if the rest of her flights are on time. So we're planning tacos for dinner-one of her favorite meals. Just mixed up a batch of taco seasoning to get the ball rolling.

GD should be home for dinner tonight if the rest of her flights are on time. So we're planning tacos for dinner-one of her favorite meals. Just mixed up a batch of taco seasoning to get the ball rolling.

What's in you taco seasoning?

TACO SEASONING

12 parts Chili Powder
1 part Garlic Powder
1 part Onion Powder
1 part Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 part Oregano
2 parts Paprika
6 parts Ground Cumin
4 parts Kosher Salt
4 parts Black Pepper

I use three tablespoons of the blend to season a pound of meat.

Change in plans.

GD won't make it home until bedtime so. . .

I'm defrosting a couple of ribeyes that I will reverse sear and serve with a salad.

Yup! Being mostly Native American, all I have to do is put some corn and Cod fish on the table. Corn Chowder or creamed Cod fish over mashed potatoes. Sucotash consisting of corn and lima beans. Cranberries, deer, moose, berries of all kinds. If you could find it on the northern part of the east coast, my ancestors were able to make a meal of it. And we still use the same foods today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passamaquoddy

Last edited:
TACO SEASONING

12 parts Chili Powder
1 part Garlic Powder
1 part Onion Powder
1 part Oregano
2 parts Paprika
6 parts Ground Cumin
4 parts Kosher Salt
4 parts Black Pepper

Thank you Andy.

Happy Birthday Craig.

All the "ethnic" corned beef lately has done bad things to my water retention, so something like fish is on the menu tonight. I have some cod that I'm thinking of baking in the individual casseroles on a bed of spinach and mushrooms.

I like the recipe for your Taco mix Andy. The lazy me really likes Penzey's Taco mix by the bag.

Had a boatload of tomatoes that Glenn's son gifted us last week. Some were getting ready to join the enemy to I turned them into a pretty darned good marinara.

We'll have that with the addition of some Italian sausage and served over fresh pasta. Some of the leftover baguette doused with butter and garlic to sop up some of the sauce. Salad....maybe

Blueberry pie for dessert.

O Sole Mio!

A guilt day of just a green salad tonight.. We have been eating heavy for a few days..

Good thing that peach cobbler for dessert is guilt free..

Ross

...I like the recipe for your Taco mix Andy. The lazy me really likes Penzey's Taco mix by the bag.

Thanks Kayelle. I used to buy Old El Paso taco seasoning envelopes but never seemed to have one on hand when I needed it so I took the bull by the horns and now make my own. I bottle it in a Penzeys bottle with a "Penzeys" label.

Attachments

• Penzey's Label.pdf
    33.4 KB · Views: 50
I picked this up at Trader Joe's this morning. I'll slice them down to bite sized pieces and grill them on the Korean BBQ table along with the usual little side dishes...

IMG_0229.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I am. Will simmer fake sausage in some sauerkraut.

Just read the thread....also will be having peach cobbler and DH is currently out fetching some real, dairy vanilla ice cream. We also have been eating heavy the past few days (have been traveling) but that won't stop the dairy infraction.

Last edited:
I'm celebrating my 60th B-day with Sauerbraten, Rotkohl and Kartoffelklosse. Made the Rotkohl yesterday and pickled the beef on Friday.

Hauoli la hanua Craig, Happy Birthday, and many more... I mean isn't 60 the new 21? ;)

TACO SEASONING

12 parts Chili Powder
1 part Garlic Powder
1 part Onion Powder
1 part Oregano
2 parts Paprika
6 parts Ground Cumin
4 parts Kosher Salt
4 parts Black Pepper

Andy, have you tried it with Smoked Paprika rather than the sweet? MMM!

Happy Birthday Craig.

All the "ethnic" corned beef lately has done bad things to my water retention, so something like fish is on the menu tonight. I have some cod that I'm thinking of baking in the individual casseroles on a bed of spinach and mushrooms.

I like the recipe for your Taco mix Andy. The lazy me really likes Penzey's Taco mix by the bag.

Ooh, K, that sounds very yummy! Do you use any sort of sauce or liquid? I need to find new Fish dishes.

I picked this up at Trader Joe's this morning. I'll slice them down to bite sized pieces and grill them on the Korean BBQ table along with the usual little side dishes...

View attachment 27431

Roadfix, I've been eyeing that up for some time, please let me know what you think of it.

As to the topic at hand, I have an ethnic meal for us, ala Americana,
Meatloaf My Way, Fresh steamed Green Beans and some other undetermined side.
:LOL:
When ever I make Meatloaf, it winds up being a two-fer or really three meals for us two.
Three pounds of combined meats can go a pretty long way in our house.
One small Meatloaf in-robed in BACON,
and then a dozen and a half large-ish Meat Balls for later.

Happy birthday, Craig.

I fired up the Weber and grilled a tri tip. :yum: Salad and garlic bread for sides.

Attachments

• 011 (4).jpg
    011 (4).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Sunday's Supper - 7 - 30

As much as I ranted and raved over their math in the Good Housekeeping recipe for Shrimp & Mango Skewers... I made it tonight... and it is AMAZING!!!

Of course, I took liberties with it but basically stayed true to it. The sauce/mint/curry/lime on them was fantastic. I highly recommend this. I will post my version tomorrow as I can't concentrate because I've run out of my white wine... :ermm::ohmy::wacko::(:ROFLMAO:

I did them in a cast I pan, original is grilled but my patio is being relaid and the grill is not handy. I also used peas as I am sure I have spinach somewhere in the freezer but it was too deep for me to find - they had fresh spinach with the couscous - peas are fine!

I also added barely one grind of salt to the yogurt.
Was soo good. I'll make it tomorrow as well, think I have enough yogurt.
BTW - that is a luncheon plate, not a dinner plate. There were 7 shrimp and as the mango was a little on the 'ripe' side, I couldn't cut them in big enough pieces even if I wanted to grill them.

Oops sorry, didn't mean for this to turn into a novella...

Attachments

• 20170730_194054.jpg
    20170730_194054.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 166
Back
Top Bottom