Are You Grillin & Chillin? Sunday July 2, 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
We are having muffin tin thighs, coleslaw and baked/roasted sweet taters.:yum:

Gearing up for a fun BBQ on the 4th so, just relaxing food until then..

Breakfast for dinner tonight... Waffles, bacon, sausage and fruit..

Ross

Cupcake chicken. Basted w/ honey soy sauce.

img_1516819_0_55bfdaf71d6e8df90b80c3c692ab4a57.jpg

Cupcake chicken and muffin tin thighs...this is sounding more like a dessert thread! :LOL:

...Breakfast for dinner tonight... Waffles, bacon, sausage and fruit...
Himself and I will be joining you and Jeannie for dinner tonight - just on different sides of this continent. ;) We're having sweet apple chicken sausages, eggs, and blueberry pancakes. Iced tea to wash it all down.

Andy, I don't even peel the corn husks when nuking corn. I think it holds the moisture in and the silks just come right off when husked when they are done. Use oven mitts as the corn is very hot.

We are grilling "Granddad's chicken", along with Mom's potato salad (lots of eggs,) and watermelon, garden raspberries on ice cream and probably some other picnicky stuff.

When I was little, granddad got his first grill, it had a half shield on the back-side, not a full cover. He was so excited to get this. Slapped some chix on the grate, I was too young to know if the coals were hot. He immediately poured a bottle of Bbq sauce on the raw chix. Of course it went from charred to burned almost immediate, and then he yelled at us grand kids to leave him alone and stay away from the flames. I think Gram finished chickens like about 3 nights in a row in the oven minus the burnt skins. Then he got smart and switched to burgers.

So yes, we are having Burgers.

Great story Whisk... We had some fun adventures when my stepdad got his first grill in the late 40's...They lasted until I took over the grilling in the early 60's... :LOL:

Ross

This meal pretty much sums up the phrase "locally-sourced food." The sausage is made by the meat market down the street. The veggie gratin consists of kale from my garden on the deck, as well as cabbage, eggs, and garlic scapes from the farmer's market the next town over. A friend of mine even made the mustard.

img_1516861_0_9c110294856e83cda919926fe8ebebdb.jpg

Last edited:
Grilled a whole butterflied chicken, as per the instructions from seriouseats. Came out nice and moist. Side was black bean and corn salad (CherylJ recipe).

Still bunked up in a hotel in Brooklyn, so I'm eating take-out. I must admit, it's been good take out, although pricey.

The car owners I've been trying to deal with, so I may be stuck here until Thursday -- and my room overlooks Manhattan Island. Might see a good show with my take-out on Tuesday.

CD

I made mini meatloaves, roasted potatoes (smoked EVOO, salt, ground pepper and all purpose seasoning) and peas for dinner. I had a side salad also. Family had theirs glazed (ketchup, BBQ rub and a few other ingredients) and I had mine topped with tomato sauce (onion, green pepper, splash burgundy wine, EVOO and spices).

Uncooked

img_1516871_0_c7d374d7b83079dcc5a5e38517136bea.jpg

Cooked and glazed (mine is bottom left unglazed)

img_1516871_1_d21b8fbb6a1086cc87835f7de52af1d9.jpg

Good looking dinners. However...Steve? Are those breadcrumbs on top of your gratin??? :ohmy:

We usually have some variation of scrambled eggs. Tonight, though, I wanted over easy - except they were closer to hard. :( I make runny eggs for Himself then, but he didn't have toast to dip since I was making pancakes. What to do? I made his a little more set. He said they were perfect inside. (Well of COURSE he's say that. I'm the cook! If he wants me to keep cooking...) Our suppers (don't worry, Himself had a plate of pancakes, too).

Attachments

• 20170702_211648.jpg
    20170702_211648.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 20170702_213112.jpg
    20170702_213112.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 142
Good looking dinners. However...Steve? Are those breadcrumbs on top of your gratin??? :ohmy:
No bread crumbs. It's ground pork rinds. :)

Believe it or not, I've served gratins to dinner guests with this topping, and not one single person has ever noticed the difference until I've pointed it out to them.

Like bread crumbs, pork rinds don't have a lot of flavor on their own. You can mix Parmesan cheese or Italian herbs in to jazz them up. I've even used them as "breading" for fried foods.

Last edited:
Clever, Steve. I saw that recipe on Serious Eats just now. Saved it, but I think I'll be subbing something for the kale if I ever make it. After repeated attempts to make friends with it, we no longer let it darken our refrigerator door.

We had frikadeller with gravy, salad, pickled beets, and home fries. I do enjoy my Danish food. There was homemade strawberry ice cream for dessert.

bpI_PODC4SNtu9rPTdurOsy_fuFTE9UuIKFPfEXE99sEilZmsPVt8moFY0gZEQi0q-HM8QY69LGnVrH7yDCWXOANcVso5ENS09D3pfoKHQ252DX9yqNKjNSU0U9nymFaOKWkYM7uAPizpDWqtzQbh3G43GuNMRr5HS1NWfI6UlBO9Od_Ahg-OBghvusM-9n8UFjhLY2Z2kKciMo0nEgmVjtW-W6XZd20qA3NJud6lrd41kUexBbPdWBhbS-xfimAhS--QwbvRWqpUA2toIxuyMuLt5NazdX0NABxQRh-rJ2ZFnHj6ThVKj69Av37D68eDgOxF9uyjPIbuTKjEpr9m33lRoW5t9LZBRsOJ_piBDkb5v0KTEWAsKcbJk7m21mc-hpxyRTGRPucJHAt-SLIzNmGWq6FwAzmSwg1KQAn8VYChbAn1I-n0pZFrbctu2KVV9NLB7-z5YOrvHXsF0RgURoMOAUa8EF2OoyG8ePlJ5xL0IKPRcWCSZPkfbVuQLREhu17Y-DFv_yBPLTU7o8zEUgX56YdS78rOhQnuTa30OfF4klqWNhdJnXnc2GwNvf62AknOpEM4mfHHk8osarBPwaJQAjPQYip90UPAWaL0dFBw0mOEtrQXQ=w734-h550-no

Back
Top Bottom