Are You Hungry Yet? 4-21-22-23-15 :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a pretty color bottle. Did you ever finish it off? :angel:

No, unfortunately or fortunately? I am a bit of a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. I've also been tired due to shifts at work and not sleeping properly. Not the best combination to be drinking on!

I only had three or four drinks over the afternoon.

Aunt Bea, how do you make green chili cheeseburgers. This sounds yummy!

Whisk, we love 'Ortega burgers'. :yum: Whole roasted Ortega brand chiles cleaned and split in half, on top of the hamburger patty, and topped with sliced pepper jack cheese. Delish.

Looking forward to hearing Aunt Bea's method - I love these burgers. :yum:

I took a small can of Ortega fire roasted chopped green chiles and mixed a tablespoon of them into about 6 oz of lean ground beef, formed a patty and fried it, topped it with more chopped green chiles and some cheddar cheese.

It tasted good, but I need a little heat, I think the pepper jack cheese would take care of that!

The rest of the chiles will end up in scrambled eggs for breakfast! :yum:

Whisk, we love 'Ortega burgers'. :yum: Whole roasted Ortega brand chiles cleaned and split in half, on top of the hamburger patty, and topped with sliced pepper jack cheese. Delish.

Looking forward to hearing Aunt Bea's method - I love these burgers. :yum:

I took a small can of Ortega fire roasted chopped green chiles and mixed a tablespoon of them into about 6 oz of lean ground beef, formed a patty and fried it, topped it with more chopped green chiles and some cheddar cheese.

It tasted good, but I need a little heat, I think the pepper jack cheese would take care of that! The rest of the chiles will end up in scrambled eggs for breakfast! :yum:

I am a real wuss!! In January, if the temp is above freezing, I bundle way up in layers, trudge through the snow, haul out the little grill and set it on the back step. Stay out long enough to make burgers. Now that it is warmer, if I still need to wear a cap, jacket and gloves (Not oven mitts, wool gloves), I think it is too unseasonably cold to grill. I think it is going to be in the upper 40's today. Have a can of chilies. I can easily make the trek up to the store for some burger and pepperjack.

Thanks Cheryl and Aunt Bea. This looks very Do-able. I am pretty sure both your recipes will work in good combination together. PS. Winter Gloves make good grilling mitts. PPS. I think dinner time will come Early today!:yum:

Last edited:
I spent way too much time stuffing won ton wrappers with a meat mixture for something not as satisfying as a Trader Joe's pork dumpling. :( Himself and I each ate about a dozen with a scratch dipping sauce (better than the dumplings) and I have a dozen I can run up to my SIL. I also made Asian-style chicken soup. That is a regular favorite. The dumplings? They won't make the favorites list.

I'm guessing your dumplings were Asian type? We love this recipe Pork and Ginger Pot Stickers Recipe : Food Network . I used to make the wrappers by hand but found some frozen gyoza wrappers in the oriental market one day. Hallelujah!! I love pot stickers but making the dough, rolling out and then stuffing, crimping is just exhausting. I had tried wonton wrappers but they just weren't right for some reason. Now, I keep a supply of gyoza wrappers in the freezer in case the urge hits.

I also do a chicken (or shrimp) one with corn, red bells, green onions, and cabbage done like the pork recipe, cilantro and just a touch of soy sauce. Don't have a recipe for that one, just rough chop the chicken (shrimp), red bells, green onion, cilantro, mix with the corn and pulse it in the food processor for a couple of turns to get a nice stuffing mixture, then add the cabbage and soy sauce.

I love the sauce that's also included in the above link. Craig likes a ginger based sauce using soy sauce, chinese black vinegar, minced ginger, garlic, touch of sugar, red pepper flakes, green onions.

Last edited:
I'm guessing your dumplings were Asian type? We love this recipe Ginger Pork Dumplings...

Yes medtran, the were her son Ming's recipe. Ginger Pork Dumplings Apparently, this apple fell far from the tree. :ermm: Mom's recipe looks better - Ming called for no Nappa, but I included a scant cup to make it softer. Didn't work - the meat was like little golf balls with ginger. Use pre-made won ton wrappers. They were both sticky/gummy and hard, depending on where you bit. I did steam the dumplings, didn't fry or bake.

After saying all day that I won't bother making these again, I think you've changed my mind. "Frozen gyoza wrappers" are now on my H-Mart list. :) Thanks. I think.

We absolutely love that recipe and the wrappers are just like homemade dough without all the work. Usually I make a huge batch because of the time-trouble making the dough. Last couple of times I just made the usual amount of filling, made enough potstickers for meal with a few leftovers, divied up the extra filling, froze, and then had filling for a night when the craving hit. You'll love those little wrappers!

Last edited:
I've done both in the past. Only thing is that if you freeze assembled, you have to bag them plus put them in a plastic container or something because the homemade dough gets REALLY brittle once it freezes and breaks super easy. Haven't tried to freeze the wrappers from the oriental market once assembled (they do come frozen and that's where I keep them until ready to thaw before using). They are so quick to put together with the purchased wrappers that it's just not worth taking the time to put them together beforehand when I can do enough for dinner in 15-20 minutes with the premade wrappers, as long as I have the filling already made and thawed so it's ready to go too.

Last edited:
Filling is raw. Spring roll wrappers are rice paper generally and it looks like what you have is rice paper. Gyoza wrappers are a flour-based dough so i don't think your wrappers would cook correctly.
That's what I thought too. The ingredient list says: wheat flour, water, coconut oil, salt.

The first time we bought spring rolls, we didn't know if we should cook them or not. They looked like they should be eaten as-is, but...

Steamed them lightly. The poor rice paper pretty much all "melted". :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom