Autumn Food Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
It seems that summer and Christmas recipes are always so easy to find, but I thought this one would spark some new ideas:

What is your favorite recipe for this beautiful time of year?

Steak pie, cottage pie, shepherd's pie, venison pie... apple pie, plum pie.... richy meaty casseroles and stews. I love the autumn!

Here it is still a little early, but one of our favourite autumn foods is chestnut... we have some nice recipes but if I have to pick one it's gotta be Mont Blanc... absolutely luscious dessert!!

img_176847_0_cbabf0ed4f8c20376c6385dd8606ef3c.jpg

Ingredients

Meringue base
  • 5 egg whites
  • 200g powdered sugar
  • 30ml/1oz lemon juice
(alternatively, if you are not sure of making meringue, you can also use already prepared meringue, crush them and spread evenly at the base)

Chestnut filling
  • 600g/1-1/3lb of chestnuts, peeled, boiled broken in small pieces
  • 600ml/21oz of whole milk
  • 50g/2oz of sugar
  • 80ml/3oz of rum
  • 50g of meringue, or if you can find them amaretti cookies, crushed
Whipped Cream topping
  • 500ml/18oz Full (or Heavy) Fresh Cream
  • 200g/6,5oz powdered sugar
meringue base - Whip the eggwhite. Mid way through add the powdered sugar and the lemon juice, continue on whipping until very firm. Gently spread it over a round shallow pan (like the one for pizza) which is lined by a baking paper. Bake it in the oven at 80C/175F for at least an hour, or until it is completely dry. (depends on the oven, it could take much more time)

Put prepared chestnuts in a sauce pan or large skillet, pour milk in, cover, bring to boil then let it simmer for 15 minutes. If necessary add a little more milk. Before removing from the heat add 50g of sugar, cut the heat and mix in rum and crushed meringue.

Place the meringue base on a large round serving tray. Now you will cover this with the mashed chestnut mixture. You can simply mash as potatoes, then pile over the meringue base, just like building a mountain on top of it... or for esthetic effect if you have a similar equipment, use a vegetable grinder so it will come out like thin bunch of spaghetti. Chill the whole thing in the fridge.

img_176847_1_24f653ce01d8bbc00ebac6192e7860fe.jpg

Before you serve it whip the fresh cream with powdered sugar, cover generously the "mountain" of chestnut with the whipped cream.

Buon Appetito!!:chef:

p.s. If you would like to prepare the whole thing with cream already on top a little ahead of time, try this method which Goodweed of the north suggested, this is to maintain the cream whipped without going down, I tried it and it works!!

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15094&page=1&pp=20

What is cottage pie?
Alix,
it is shepherd's pie that is made with beef, not lamb as the traditional version calls for.

I love fall food!!! Right now I'm in ultra cinnamon mode - the more the merrier. I couldn't begin to pick a favourite fall food...but I think a fantastic autumn pie or a great, homemade stuffing is pretty high up the list :)

ICadvisor said:

Alix,
it is shepherd's pie that is made with beef, not lamb as the traditional version calls for.

OK, so that means what I have been calling Shepherd's Pie for years is actually cottage pie. Cool. Thanks for the info.

Alix said:
OK, so that means what I have been calling Shepherd's Pie for years is actually cottage pie. Cool. Thanks for the info.

I have a ecipe from Wolfgang Puck that calls it neither Cottage or Shepherd's Pie. For him it's "Hache Parmentier"

OK fall foods. my favorites are Roasted Garlic. I know you can get garlic all year but I love to have it roasting in the oven this time of year the smell is so fantastic. I think squash. all kinds in dips and soups and of course roasted. I love anything roasted this time of year. Makes me feel cozy. Hummm Now i have to finish cooking all that talk of cottage pie I think thats what we will have for supper. I was wondering what I was going to do with the ground beef I got yesterday. and those potatos that have to be eaten soon.

OK having said what I did about supper does anyone have a recipe for cottage pie I cant find mine. I know the basics and if I don't hear from anyone I will go ahead and wing it. It would not be the first time. I will likely throw most of the stuff in the freezer in there as well. LOL lets see I have carrots and peas. I have onion. i have potatos and not sure what else I should throw in. I will have to figure it out.

I must be really boring, but, I don't have anything that I cook for any season other than the traditional stuff at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Urmaniac, that looks absolutely sinful!!!!

Great topic, As much as I love summer and tomatoes, I love the fall and winter months and the food that goes along...In the fall I love hot and spicy noodles, risotto, soups my favorite is onion, all kinds of pasta, any kind of squassh baked and then butter and salt, pepper and a little brown sugar,Chicken roasted with stuffing, stuffed pork chops with apples or apple sauce...my dad's beans with french bread all nice and warm and lots of butter..chicken and dumplings, gnocchi..

Let's face it, put it out there and I'll try it..:LOL:
kadesma

Just thinking about all these amazingly wonderful, root-veggie filled, cinnamon encrusted, piping hot food makes me hungry!

Texas,
a. You are NOT boring!!!
b. Start a new tradition by cooking up a ton of autumnal goodies!
-------------------------------------------------------

There's a cute recipe I saw on the Taste of Home Newsletter that goes along with this thread:

BACON BEAN STALKS

Ready in 30 minutes or less

You’ll need just three ingredients to assemble this fun fall side dish. Wax beans are bundled with bacon strips to look like shocks of cornstalks.

• 1 pound fresh wax or green beans
  • 6 bacon strips
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a skillet or microwave, cook bacon until partially cooked, about 3 minutes; drain on paper towels. Drain beans; place about 12 beans on each bacon strip. Position one end of beans so they are nearly even; cut about 1/4 in. from that end so stalks will stand when served. Wrap bacon strip around beans; secure with a toothpick. Lay stalks flat on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with onion powder. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Yield: 6 servings.

Below is a photo of a great harvest meal, including
the Bacon Bean Stalks.
QC10064C38.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom