Banyuls Vinegar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
I've used Banyuls Vinegar in the past, but I've recently started to really experiment with the stuff over the past few months. My new favorite vinegar. Banyuls is made from a fortified wine in France.

Attachments

• RegularBanyuls1L.jpg
    RegularBanyuls1L.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 258
I noticed you used it for one of your entrees in the poll you posted. How is it different to other vinegars, such as balsamic?

amber said:
I noticed you used it for one of your entrees in the poll you posted. How is it different to other vinegars, such as balsamic?

The flavor. I can't really describe it in just words, but like balsamic, sherry, red wine, etc., it has a unique flavor of it's own. If I had to compare it to any vinegar, I would compare it to balsamic only because they both have an inherent sweetness in addition to the tartness and other flavors. But they taste nothing alike.

IC, I ordered some of this vinegar, I don't know what I'll do with it yet, but I'm sure I'll find something interesting. If it is as sweet as you say, maybe i can mascerate berries in it. Would you use it in a bearnaise?

Chef_Jimmy said:
IC, I ordered some of this vinegar, I don't know what I'll do with it yet, but I'm sure I'll find something interesting. If it is as sweet as you say, maybe i can mascerate berries in it. Would you use it in a bearnaise?

You could macerate berries, but you may need to add a bit of sugar or other sweetener depending on the banyuls that you got since many of them vary in intensity and flavor. The longer the banyuls was aged, the more complex it is. I like to use it mainly for vinaigrettes and also to deglaze dishes that I want to have acidity, but one that tastes different from flavors that people are normally used to getting. It's adds a nice flavor when you use it to deglaze a saute of French wild mushrooms

Last edited:
I always use sugar and balsamic or rum to macerate berries. I am anxious to try this.

You can play around with it a lot, but my one word of warning is to not add too many other strong flavorings that can take away from the flavor of the banyuls. It doesn't hold up that well to strong flavors like a balsamic will.

I got my vinegar, and the taste is very different, i really can;t explain, but i really like it and am trying to come up with what to do, i have made a viniagrette that was good. Thanks for introducing me to this vinegar Ironchef.

Chef_Jimmy said:
I got my vinegar, and the taste is very different, i really can;t explain, but i really like it and am trying to come up with what to do, i have made a viniagrette that was good. Thanks for introducing me to this vinegar Ironchef.

No problem, I love the stuff too. It's also a good vinegar to use for deglazing. There's a French dish with Scallops that uses a sauce of deglazed vinegar, raisins, capers, and butter. I can't think of the name but it's good with Banyuls.

ironchef said:
There's a French dish with Scallops that uses a sauce of deglazed vinegar, raisins, capers, and butter. I can't think of the name but it's good with Banyuls.

I think that is from Jean-Georges Vongerichten, it is a very elegant dish and the raisin-caper combinations surprisingly sounds wonderful. Supposedly discovered by accident in the kitchen of Jean-Georges. I may try to make my own version and post it

Chef_Jimmy said:
I think that is from Jean-Georges Vongerichten, it is a very elegant dish and the raisin-caper combinations surprisingly sounds wonderful. Supposedly discovered by accident in the kitchen of Jean-Georges. I may try to make my own version and post it

Chef Jimmy, good call on the Jean-Georges origin. I found this on epicurious. Maybe not the exact recipe but it claims it is. Has the general idea anyway. The "original" recipe calls for sherry vinegar. I'll bet that it would be really good with the banyuls, or even a good cider vinegar would give it a nice flavor I think.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/15422

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom