"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #41
Head Chef
 
Toots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,580
I have some of Ina's cookbooks and I've made several of her recipes. I love her show (and she does remind me of Martha but I love Martha too - LOL). the show is filmed in her kitchen in the Hamptons. I don't think she tapes too many shows anymore.
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #42
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
And aren't you and your loved ones worth it??
That's no fair! Arguing with that would make one seem as if they didn't think their loved ones were worth it!

Oh wait, in that case I can feel free to argue, sorry DW!!
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #43
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Those people are not watching Ina on FoodTV which is a cable channel. If they are then they could choose to buy better food over buying cable TV.
In my case that would mean being able to buy an extra $40 a month in groceries, which means if food was scarce the cable would be dropped in a heart beat. Our policy has always been the kids and family come first. So for us, there is no choice between cable and food, it is a no brainer.

At the same time, I am sure there are plenty of people out there that could never afford to make every single meal the way she does, but may still choose to watch it for entertainment value. I know I do that. And I am sure that there are also plenty of people out there that can afford to make her recipes but only on occasion, should they stop watching just because they can't eat and live like her every day?
My budget is my budget, and it allows for good healthy meals for my family before paying for cable. But, Would I drop the cable just so I can buy Kobe beef instead of Black Angus for every recipe that calls for beef? No, not worth it for me. For that matter given the price difference there, I think that would only cover maybe one meal for my family of five in exchange for cable. No thanks!

At the same time, if I were to buy only the best ingredients of everything for every meal, as suggested by some here, I would break my budget by about 200% per month, so all the cable dropping, cell phone turning off, no eating out or going out at all, in the world would make up for that...

You have to find your own balance, and prioritize what is important to you. In my case, some stuff I do get the best of or at least a high quality product, but not everything. A good chef, in my opinion, doesn't have to rely on having only the best ingredients available to turn out a family meal everyone can enjoy... for that matter if they can be a good chef only by using the best ingredients there are, well then they need to go back to school, IMHO, because there is more to cooking than just the ingredients used.

In fact, I think that would make an even more interesting Iron Chef episode, make the five Iron Chefs make gourmet meals on ingredients and cooking utensils available just to the average middle class American family.. I am not poo-pooing chefs that use gourmet ingredients, just suggesting that IMHO that would make for an interesting show indeed.

I am not denying the fact that the more involved in cooking you get, the more those better ingredients call to you and the more you appreciate and understand the difference. But a budget is a budget, and for us trading an entire months entertainment for one gourmet meal is just not worth it.

But, that is us, so I only speak for myself, and am not pointing fingers at anyone on here nor putting anyone on here down. It's just a perspective... and I do agree with GB, if the choice is bread on the table or FN, I would choose the bread too. Hard to laugh at the Comedy Network shows when your kids are hungry...
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Those people are not watching Ina on FoodTV which is a cable channel. If they are then they could choose to buy better food over buying cable TV.

well guess i am one of "those people" i can't afford expensive vanilla . and my son pays for my direct tv. i do however try to buy a good med. price of anything i buy, including vanilla.

and mine is not cable it is satilite sp?

don't mean to be rude, but just because one wants something does not mean

they can afford it.


babe
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #45
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I did not mean to speak in such generalities and come across as I did. Please accept my apologies babe.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #46
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
well guess i am one of "those people" i can't afford expensive vanilla . and my son pays for my direct tv. i do however try to buy a good med. price of anything i buy, including vanilla.

and mine is not cable it is satilite sp?

don't mean to be rude, but just because one wants something does not mean

they can afford it.


babe
Nice son! Musta raised him right
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I did not mean to speak in such generalities and come across as I did. Please accept my apologies babe.
very gracious of u GB. i get testy sometimes.


babe
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Nice son! Musta raised him right
i like to think so maverick. he also owns and pays for my home. because of the murder of his father, my retirement plans were derailed and i can't do it myself. his help allowed me to get as well as i can be mentally since the event.

babe
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #49
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i like to think so maverick. he also owns and pays for my home. because of the murder of his father, my retirement plans were derailed and i can't do it myself. his help allowed me to get as well as i can be mentally since the event.

babe
My point exactly, most kids these days i do not think would do that. He isn't on here, so its my way of giving him kudos every chance I get.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #50
Executive Chef
 
LEFSElover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ...lala land..............
Posts: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
The "proper" name for "Swede" is rutabaga. Thankfully, turnips are something else again.

Rutabaga... the one vegetable I can happily live forever without!
I have A+ blood and am a veg/fruit woman by nature.
But I have never met a Rutabaga that I even thought of enjoying.
My mother used to try and pry my mouth open and force us little girls to eat them saying how wonderful they were. Oh my Lord, what a fiasco those nights were.
Mind you I adore vegetables of any and all kinds, even the weird ones.
But to my way of thinking rutabaga's should be banned from any table any time.
In other words ChefJune, I completely agree with you.
__________________
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #51
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Drop my cable TV and DVR system??? I'd rather starve!!

As for rutabaga, I love the stuff and so do my kids and grandkids. I tried not having it for Thanksgiving one year and they all freaked out. Had to put it back on the menu. Steamed, mashed and buttered with some salt and pepper - I think it is wonderful!
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #52
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
I can honestly say I have never had rutabaga.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #53
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
To:ilovelondon; my first meal for my in-laws and parents when I got married in 1976, was stuffed cornish game hens. I served them like you would a chicken or turkey. They were a hit, and to this day, not forgotten.
Under the stress of my first big dinner, it was a no lose answer. I didn't know who liked dark or white meat or stuffing, the cooking time was faster, the meat alittle milder and I didn't have to know how to carve a bird.
As for Ina; she comes from humble, but an educated backround. She is completely self -taught. She's what I would call a 'brainiack'.
He husband does alot of out of town business and she douts on him when he is around. But she truly is a self-made woman. I disagree that where she lives has anything to do with it. She is not from the "hamptons". She chose it. It does present an alternative type of life from most of us hard working stiffs. But more power to her. She earned it. And I don't think she's forgotten it. (I think Martha, most times wants to). However, I think the producers, when creating a show, try to appeal to the largest # audience, so they must drive the hosts nuts wearing so may hats for mass appeal.
She loves what she does, she's got a smile to beat the band, and she wants you to like it too. I like her. But no,I don't make most of what she does. I have to go out of my way to get some ingredients, and most times I don't have the time to spend in the kitchen. That's her profession/passion.
It's my necessity/hobby/passion.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #54
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,763
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
I have A+ blood and am a veg/fruit woman by nature.
But I have never met a Rutabaga that I even thought of enjoying.
My mother used to try and pry my mouth open and force us little girls to eat them saying how wonderful they were. Oh my Lord, what a fiasco those nights were.
Mind you I adore vegetables of any and all kinds, even the weird ones.
But to my way of thinking rutabaga's should be banned from any table any time.
In other words ChefJune, I completely agree with you.
hehehe and I'm an A+, veg/fruit girl, too! I love all fruit and all veges except that one!
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #55
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
My worst veggie holiday was Thanksgiving. Mom made everything I hated. Turnip/rutabaga, bussel sprouts and creamed califlower. YIK!
But then she also made spiced apple rings, yum, and for me special, asparagus and mashed carrots. One time I mixed up the mashed carrots with the mashed rutabaga. I never forgave her.
YIK! YIK! YIK!

If Ina can make someone like me like rutabaga, well... I can't believe it.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #56
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I think we need to get back on topic of Barefoot Contessa. Thanks.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.