Barefoot Contessa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello, DramaQueen:

Oops! Got that wrong, then! Just goes to show how your eyes can deceive you - they looked quite big..

I like Ina as well. She prepares dishes I would & have made at home (shrimp dish & lemon cake), and an easy-going personality. Haven't watched FN in awhile, but noticed I didn't see her shows air as often as other FN "stars." Maybe it was the time slot. I seem to recall, some of her recipes are only available on FN's site for a limited time. Don't quite understand the policy. Noticed she has a website & is selling/marketing pantry items and such. Will take a longer look when I have the time.

i don't want to sound cranky or too negative, but her shows irritate me.

there's something about her "everything's perfect and so easy" way of living a seemingly spoiled and rich life that just gets under my skin. sort of a "martha stewart" effect, i guess. not that she seems to be a dragon lady like martha, but it's that sort of aloof snobbery that pervades.

who knows, she might be a wonderful person in real life, but i can't watch the show.

She IS a lovely person. I've met her and she is charming and not at all impressed with herself. Cooking comes easily to her, as does working in front of a camera, and I think she feels she's encouraging her viewers when she makes it look easy. It IS easy, after all... the food most people like to eat best is not fussy nor hard to prepare. So she lives in the Hamptons. that doesn't make her aloof and snobby. She just isn't.

She IS a lovely person. I've met her and she is charming and not at all impressed with herself. Cooking comes easily to her, as does working in front of a camera, and I think she feels she's encouraging her viewers when she makes it look easy. It IS easy, after all... the food most people like to eat best is not fussy nor hard to prepare. So she lives in the Hamptons. that doesn't make her aloof and snobby. She just isn't.

The Hamptons!?!? Oh no good can come of living in the Hamptons!!!:-p

J/K, Now I am kinda intrigued so I will try and make a point to watch her show next time it is on, DW still says it is a good show so maybe I should listen to my better half!
:LOL:

i don't want to sound cranky or too negative, but her shows irritate me.

there's something about her "everything's perfect and so easy" way of living a seemingly spoiled and rich life that just gets under my skin. sort of a "martha stewart" effect, i guess. not that she seems to be a dragon lady like martha, but it's that sort of aloof snobbery that pervades.

who knows, she might be a wonderful person in real life, but i can't watch the show.

me to buckytom, the tone of voice she uses when she says "use really good vanilla" makes me nuts. doesn't she think people use what they can afford. and who are all those men, constantly on the show doing flowers. lol

sorry everyone else, she is one i will turn off especially if it is a re run.

babe:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I don't think it is reasonable to only have shows that cater to the poor, or only middle class, or only the wealthy. So, I guess I expect FN to have a broad range of shows catering to all kinds of people across the country, its in their interest.
DW and I are on a budget, so we get our inspiration from shows with cheap cooking or using more affordable ingredients. But we also like to watch some of the more gourmet shows, some for entertainment, and some because occasionally we splurge and do buy gourmet ingredients for a special meal.
In the end, though, we remind ourselves that it is just entertainment, and we either choose to 'poke fun' at a show or choose to watch attentively and learn, or choose not to watch cause it just aint our style of show.
But I can't for the life of me remember taking any of them personally or actually bothering with it enough to 'hate' someone or their show. Although I have moved RR from the 'like it' to 'entertaining fluff' to 'time to poke fun' category, LOL. I mean, seriously, if I was her DH I would kidnap her for a few days just so I could get some quality time in!! She needs to slow down and dump a couple of her 'projects' so she can spend more time with him but that is JMHO...

EDIT: Or rather, shows that cater from the beginner cook to the chef I guess would be more appropriate put perhaps.

I would still recommend trying an "Ina" recipe if it sounds like something you might enjoy, even if you aren't a fan. I think she also has some good techniques.

If they film at her home the yard is beautiful as is her home..It's lovely but makes you feel comfortable..I find the show makes me feel as if I were in a friends kitchen helping..I've made some of her recipes and find them easy to do and the ingredients easy to find...She reminds me of a good friend.Where she lives has nothing to do with anything..She worked hard for what she has and is entitled to live as she likes..You know, like them or not, these chefs,cooks personalities are human being just like us..Each one has something to offer if we let ourselves be shown..What they look ,sound and dress like has nothing to do with it..Enjoy and learn

kadesma

me to buckytom, the tone of voice she uses when she says "use really good vanilla" makes me nuts. doesn't she think people use what they can afford. and who are all those men, constantly on the show doing flowers. lol

babe:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:[/quote

Most of the men on her show are gay. Ina is very big in the gay community and does a lot of work for gay rights.

As for the vanilla, I too recommend using " really good vanilla." Sometimes you gotta go for the gold. It makes a difference. :cool:

I watch Ina a few times a week and like her recipes. I'll admit I have not made any of them yet, but that is more from having others I want to make first, not because of concern about salt or butter or fat. Everthing is moderation is my theory, I mean I make recipes from the Two Fat Ladies cook books. ;)

If they film at her home the yard is beautiful as is her home..It's lovely but makes you feel comfortable..I find the show makes me feel as if I were in a friends kitchen helping..I've made some of her recipes and find them easy to do and the ingredients easy to find...She reminds me of a good friend.Where she lives has nothing to do with anything..She worked hard for what she has and is entitled to live as she likes..You know, like them or not, these chefs,cooks personalities are human being just like us..Each one has something to offer if we let ourselves be shown..What they look ,sound and dress like has nothing to do with it..Enjoy and learn

kadesma

You said that so well...My feelings, exactly.

I would love to 'go for the gold', but all I have is bronze!:(

I do, however, share that sentiment with most spices I have, and my EVOO just has to be of good quality. DW, bless her misguided heart, picked up a huge container of generic paprika the other day. Thanks to certain people here on DC, who shall remain nameless Elfie, I only use smoked paprika now.
But my neighbor, who is not so picky, was happy to have the 'gift'...
;)

But hey, one of these days I am going to splurge on some real good quality vanilla beans for when I make some homemade ice cream.

LOL Mav - all my friends now use smoked paprika! It's good stuff!!!

I've always said, and I'll say it again...every show I watch, whether it's a cooking-type show or a traveling type show where food and/or restaurants is the topic, I always take away something from them. Sure, some get under my skin for various reasons - usually it's just jealousy :LOL:...I would probably get on their nerves too.

i'll take your word for it, chefjune. i had a feeling about her, so that's why i included the "personal" disclaimer. i work in tv, so i know it's a business and things are edited to be perceived certain ways. good people can come across in certain negative ways (merely in others' perceptions, none above any other), and vice versa. :wacko:

it's obvious that her show is cut for a set of specific demographics. mine ain't one. ;) although, with respect to chefjune, i will try to watch some of her shows.

who knows? i might say "use the best freakin' vanilla you can find" in some future post. :)

[/quote]

Most of the men on her show are gay. Ina is very big in the gay community and does a lot of work for gay rights.

As for the vanilla, I too recommend using " really good vanilla." Sometimes you gotta go for the gold. It makes a difference. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I agree VDQ! I only use Nielsen-Massey vanilla products. When I teach a dessert class, I always take my "really good" vanilla AND a bottle of real vanilla from the supermarket. We pass them around and smell them. That's all it takes to convert everyone.

Yes, excellent products may cost more than the so-so ones, but the end results are stunningly different. And the difference is not really that much. In vanilla, how many recipes call for more than 1 teaspoon? A bottle lasts a long time. And aren't you and your loved ones worth it?? ;)

turnip... a nasty, hard, bitter, root that requires massive amounts of adjustment to make it tasty. :LOL:

London, you want rich? check out paula deen... Paula is "home cooking" rich heavy butter laden home cooking. Paula caters to the more day to day cooks than Ina does. Ina has some recipes that are bit too fancy for day to day cooking

As for the vanilla, I too recommend using " really good vanilla." Sometimes you gotta go for the gold. It makes a difference. :cool:[/quote]

I agree VDQ! I only use Nielsen-Massey vanilla products. When I teach a dessert class, I always take my "really good" vanilla AND a bottle of real vanilla from the supermarket. We pass them around and smell them. That's all it takes to convert everyone.

Yes, excellent products may cost more than the so-so ones, but the end results are stunningly different. And the difference is not really that much. In vanilla, how many recipes call for more than 1 teaspoon? A bottle lasts a long time. And aren't you and your loved ones worth it?? ;)[/quote]

Wow, I couldn't have said it better!! Those are my thoughts exactly.

As for the vanilla, I too recommend using " really good vanilla." Sometimes you gotta go for the gold. It makes a difference. :cool:

ChefJune said:

Yes, excellent products may cost more than the so-so ones, but the end results are stunningly different. And the difference is not really that much. In vanilla, how many recipes call for more than 1 teaspoon? A bottle lasts a long time. And aren't you and your loved ones worth it?? ;)

DramaQueen[B said:
Wow, I couldn't have said it better!! Those are my thoughts exactly.[/B]

there is a big difference between wanting to use the best and being able to afford the best. if one doesn't have the money, ie the purse is bare , good vanilla is the least of your worries. yes the family is worth it but no money is no money.sometimes for some people it is having money for bread much less "really good vanilla"

babe:dry::dry:

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a big difference between wanting to use the best and being able to afford the best. if one doesn't have the money, ie the purse is bare , good vanilla is the least of your worries. yes the family is worth it but no money is no money.sometimes for some people it is having money for bread much less "really good vanilla"

babe:dry::dry:
Those people are not watching Ina on FoodTV which is a cable channel. If they are then they could choose to buy better food over buying cable TV.

Back
Top Bottom