Bean and Rice taco recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vagriller

Head Chef
This taco recipe was something I threw together last night. It could easily be adapted to your taste, and could be converted to vegetarian or even vegan with a few substitutions.

14.5 oz can kidney beans
1 cup basmati rice
chicken buillion cube
corn or flour tortillas
salsa
cumin
garlic powder
pepper
red pepper sauce
bbq sauce (i made up a small batch, very simple)
shredded cheese
frying oil of your choice

Drain the beans, and reserve liquid. Add enough water to make up the amount of water needed to prepare your rice, and add the buillion cube. Boil water, and prepare rice as per package directions. You can add the beans at any time. Add in any spices like cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste. You can also add the red pepper sauce. I needed some more liquid, so I added a 1/4 cup of salsa to it and put the cover back on the pot.

When the beans and rice are done, fry your tortillas in a little oil. Not till they are crispy, just to brown them a little. Then spoon some bbq sauce (mine was somewhat spicy) on the tortilla, add some bean and rice mix, and top with cheese if you like. At this point you can put any veggies you like on it. Avocado (or guac), green onions, and pico salsa would be great! Or you could add shredded or cubed chicken for meat eaters. You could use burrito size tortillas and make burritos too.

I had a lot of fun with this, let me know if you add (or subtract) something and find it works well! Hard to even call it a recipe as it was sort of a collaboration of things that could have been used any number of ways.

This recipe sounds good, Vagriller. I actually love frying my own corn tortillas up for tacos. A nice smoky BBQ sauce, like one with chipotle in it would be delicious!

Making this recipe fully vegetarian would be very easy -- substitute the chicken bouillon cube with a vegetable bouillon. Sometimes it's easier to find a carton of vegetable broth (or a broth like Imagine brand No-Chicken broth) and you would use it for the water content added to the rice. In my case, I would also skip the cheese, but not the avocado or some guacamole.
Might make a nice weekend treat. :chef:

Nice recipe....i also love using black or Pinto beans and peas as well as chilies on my Mexican rice and beans

This reminds me of the rice & beans burritos I used to get from the "lunch wagon" while in California. I really liked those! The only thing I would change for myself from this recipe is to dry-fry the tortillas until just toasty but soft, instead of using oil. It would save some calories.

I actually love frying my own corn tortillas up for tacos. A nice smoky BBQ sauce, like one with chipotle in it would be delicious!

Chipotle! What was I thinking? I even have some chipotle I pureed with some tomatoes last time I made chili! Someone here recommended freezing it in an ice cube tray. I made some chipotle mayo the other day, and another day I made chipotle/sour cream dip for nachos. This stuff really is addictive! Next batch of bbq sauce I make I will throw a chipotle popsicle in.:chef:

Selkie, sometimes I think it would be fun to run one of those lunch wagons. But all the paperwork sounds like such a hassle.

Back
Top Bottom