Best Cajun dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfort., I haven't experienced any as of yet but do look forward to some. I thought I was getting some authentic Louisianna food several weeks ago at a festival but I think it was all a gimmick. I was truely disappointed.

i started cooking Cajun food not to long ago. i would have to say i like the jambalaya, gumbo and red beans and rice the best. of coarse that is all i have made so far. the kids and i are going crawdadding this weekend, so i am going to try something new.

too many years ago, PP was on tv giving a recipe of his for Cajun shrimp using his seasoning. I made it several times over the years, but can't anymore as I've developed an allergy to beer. it consisted of butter, beer, shrimp, galic, onion, and his cajun spice which he nicely gave the recipe for. that was before it's now in the bottled stage and available for purchase at the market. good thing is, I wrote it down and it is sensational.

college_cook said:
my favorite is defintiely jambalaya, i love andouille (sp?) sausage. but i have to agree with grumblebee about taking an entire cajun meal. I've never worked up the guts to prepare one myself, but the red beans and rice are defintely a staple, BBQ rib tips, jalapeno corn bread, gumbo, are all fantastic. i think i would be right at home in the big easy.

once on a trip to NO, I ordered red beans and rice with andouille sausage. the flavor wonderful, but I liberally bit into a bite of something really hard, maybe a pepper corn, thought I was about to break a tooth:(

Last edited:
had a whole fish gumbo served over dirty rice by a true Louisiana French speaking ladycajun. THe whole event as we helped chop and cook the feast, and then slow dined on the BEST gumbo to ever hit my mouth...is still ingrained in my memory and taste buds.
Ms. Dot and my mom were complementary opposites in the kitchen, and great friends so we often all cooked and ate together from childhood to our 20s.

LEFSElover said:
once on a trip to NO, I ordered red beans and rice with andouille sausage. the flavor wonderful, but I liberally bit into a bite of something really hard, maybe a pepper corn, thought I was about to break a tooth:(

that was no peppercorn which would have yielded under your bite, since dry beans are used in "red beans and rice" i am pretty sure you bit a stone! Dry legumes always have to be picked thoroughly since stones are quite common, I know exactly the feeling having bitten quite a few in my lifetime!!

Back
Top Bottom