Breakfast for American couple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chef_Jen said:
Uhhhhh Canada is just as big with just as many cultures!! /quote]

c'mon now, you can't call the people who play ice hockey and the ones who play street hockey different cultures...:cool:

urmaniac13 said:
As for coffee, don't worry too much about it... no one dies if they don't have a coffee for just one breakfast (
I have to respectfully disagree with this (sort of). Here is a little story to show my point.

My family was visiting very close friends of ours many years ago in NY. There are people that my parents were friends with in college. They are among our closest friends. So much so that I thought their daughters were our cousins, not friends for most of my childhood because people that close to you are family.

Anyway we had our usual big NY breakfast with them complete with bagels with all the fixins and plenty of coffee. The was back when my dad was drinking an entire pot of coffee himself in the mornings. Well he had his 8 or so cups at our leisurely breakfast as we sat around the table talking and laughing. As time went on dad started to get a headache. Now one thing I can say about my dad is that he has an incredible pain threshold. Nothing hurts the man. Well he took some pain pills for his headache, but that did not work. The headache was getting worse and worse. He started to get very red and started to sweat a lot. He could not see well anymore either. it got so bad that we rushed him to the hospital. The Doctor started questioning him to find out what was going on. he asked the typical questions like did you change any of your normal habits etc. He said no he has not done anything differently than he always does. That is when the doctor asked if he was a coffee drinker. He said he was, but he had his normal pot of coffee this morning. Our hostess's face dropped. "That was DECAF". She felt so horrible. Well they got him some caffeine and right away he started to get better. She always had regular coffee from them on :)

Sorry to get off topic a bit, but i thought it might be an important story to share since Chopstix is not a coffee drinker, but the guests are.

Your menu sounds great Choptix. it has something for everyone. Breakfast is hard for me because i do not eat eggs and that is usually what people want to serve for breakfast here. You have lots of variety and it all sounds delicious!

chopstix, I think your menu us fabulous. If I were coming to Thailand the LAST thing I would want is an American breakfast. As for the rice dish in the morning - hey - put it out and if they eat it they eat it, if they don't no big deal. You never know what someone will like so give it a try. My husband and I lived on Thai food and your friends may eat a lot of it too here in the States so go for it. Frankly I wouldn't change a thing but I agree on the coffee, some people, me included have to have that cup of coffee in the morning. I wish I could join you. Sounds great.

Last edited:
Whoa GB, that was a sobering story... I never knew caffeine withdrawal would have such a powerful effect!! Thanks for the education.

I agree with dramaqueen, and as I said before, while they are having such a special experience in Thailand with a Thai family, it would be much better idea to have a menu leaning on the Thai fare. Maybe though, you may want to vary on the spiciness, make a few dishes spicy and others milder... there are quite a few people who are not very tolerant with spiciness.

And oh,... with a cup of instant coffee.... eheheh...

Chopstix:

I would really enjoy the breakfast you are suggesting.

You should also consider that they could want nothing at all to eat. Some Americans skip breakfast.

Sorry to say, they could say they just want coffee. That being the case, I see no problem with your offering them instant coffee or tea as an alternative.

Chopstix,
I would be thrilled with the breakfast menu you posted! I would expect Asian food in an Asian country and would look forward to trying something new! Although I am a coffee drinker, tea or instant coffee would be perfectly acceptable.

DaCook said:
OK, OK, OK, you got me! I was just thinking of most of the brekkies I've eaten in the northern states.:rolleyes:

Obviously, you've never eaten at Goodweed's house on a Saturday morning. We've ahd everything from Pancakes to fried rice with squid ink sauce (leftovers).

As to the original menu, I love it and go with what Bucky said. For a New Yowakah, the man's got good cullinary sense:LOL: .

You don't have a chance at knowing what a traditional U.S. breakfast is, because there is no such thing. Introduce your guests to regional cuisine. Let them know what day-to-day meals are like where you live. They know what they like from the U.S. The fact that you have shown them that you can get U.S. style breakfast fare is good enough. That will comfort them if they don't like the often strong and pungeant foods that prevail in your region.

I know that I loved the foods I ate in Hong Kong, and in the Phillipines. But I didn't so much care for the foods I had in Pussan, Korea. But then again, I only had such a small example to choose from, a mostly raw seafood platter, some Kim-chee that I didn't care for (and I now know that there are many variations of that dish), and some overly powerful sauces to go with the raw seafood served at the restaurant at which I ate.

My eldest son, on the other hand, lived in Korea for a time and loved the foods he ate there, which of course were provided to him by locals whith whom he had developed strong freindships with.

So my advise is simply to be who you are. Most Americans are a curious bunch who love to try new things. And we are freindlier than most other nations believe we are, at least as individual people. It's a shame that countries tend to judge each other by the actions of governments, who rarely display the qualities of the people they are supposed to represent.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Chopstix, we would be blown away by your menu.

The thoughtfulness of the planning of the fusion menu would be very impressive to us.

Yes, it is a lot of food, far to much for us for breakfast, but I think it would be a great way to entertain people who you are trying to get to relocate there.

It would sure help to sell me.

Agree with deconstructing the fried rice, it would also give you an opportunity to discuss how the dish can be served.

As for the coffee, I had to give it up ten years ago. So now it is tough for us to justify making a whole pot.

But we do buy, and don't know if these are available in your area, coffee in 'tea' bags that you steep in a similar way.

We also send them to our in-laws who love it.

Just an idea.

One idea, can you find out anything about these people before they get there?

Maybe they have some preferences that would require you altering your plans.

But were it us, we would be in heaven.

Well said, Good Weed.

Chopstix, I think your menu sounds wonderful, and I would stick with the 3K rice, though serving the chilis on the side is a good idea.

chopstix

I think your menu sounds great. I too would much rather try a regional
breakfast from a wonderful cook which is sounds like you are that
could educate me about the regional food, expecially if I was thinking about moving to a new country. Understanding the regional food and what would be available in the markets for me to cook if and when I did move, would be
very important to me.

I do agree about the coffee I would not serve instant, if you only
want to serve tea I would think that would be fine. My husband
is a big coffee drinker I am not I prefer a cup of tea or just plan
water. But when we run out of coffee he will drink tea and be
fine with it.

Ishbel my breakfast did sound like Full english becuase it was!! I operate a Bed and breakfast on the Scottish Boarders.. I KNOW my breakfasts....

And Lyn I make porridge of plenty with raisins and cinnimon and because i have the canadian in me I dash of maple syrup :)

Oh on a side note its perfectly acceptable here in england to serve instant coffee a lot of places do. I actually for my B&B serve it in a bodum.. which comes in handy for coffee and loose tea!! ((bodum aka cafetiere) it works great!

Tea bags-- PERFECTLY acceptable.

Lynan said:
Otherwise, something simple like an omelette as you mentioned but with local flavours, a grilled tomato would go well with that for a token Western item. Lots of gorgeous fresh squeezed exotic juices, some yogurt, maybe like mango or coconut

Great idea Lyn, I'll serve the omelette with mushrooms and Thai sweet basil instead. I should have thought of coconut juice! The coconut juice here in Thailand is distinctly sweet you'd think they secretly put sugar in it! The juice of toasted coconuts is even better, with a certain depth of flavor! I think good ol' OJ will have to sit this one out then ...

Thanks to everyone for helping me tweak my menu! After all your wonderful comments, I myself am looking forward to the breakfast! :) I'll try to report back on what happens!

Buying Starbucks in a thermos is a great idea. I probably would plan on doing that if we still had no coffeemaker. Right now we're leaning towards getting one in time for the breakfast. We do need it anyway for entertaining in general as I've always felt awkward about not being able to offer coffee to guests before. I guess we should just fix the problem once and for all. Now my only worry is that we'll turn into bona fide coffee drinkers ourselves -- shaky hands and all ...!

I think they should accept that there is no coffee in the house... for me it would be no problem to have tea for breakfast, even if I'm a used coffee drinker

Chopstix said:
Hi! I need menu advice from our American friends here for this American couple whom we've invited for breakfast at our home this Friday.

Thanks in advance!

I get the impression the original post is getting lost, ladies and gentlemen!

If I were the visitors, I'd just love to experience a real Thai Breakfast. Chopstix; you have obviously taken a lot of time and trouble thinking out how to please your guests. That is excellent.

However, I'd try to keep the menu "local" and the flavours gentle.

I love Thai food, but the first time I tried a Thai green curry paste,I realised I knew NOTHING! about green chilli peppers! I eat our local hot peppers raw, but yours are simply way above my heat level. So, the next time I tried the green curry paste... I cut the recommended "dose" by half. Fine for me, too hot for my wife, the kids loved it...

I'd be really delighted (as a foreign visitor) if you served me a traditional Thai breakfast - but try to tone down the hot peppers ( don't do that for me, i love 'em!) and tone down the really strong Thai flavours. They may not be very fond of fish sauce, perhaps, so instead of using your usual measure, use 1/4 .

You have gotten a lot of advice on this thread where people have said that if they visited Thailand they would want a traditional Thai breakfast and would really look forward to that. Something that needs to be kept in mind though is that this is coming from a group of foodies. The people on this site get excited about trying foods they have never experienced and they have (for the most part) an open mind.

This is not necessarily true of the majority of Americans. A lot of them will not venture outside their comfort zone when it comes to food. I think it is a great idea that you are giving them the opportunity to try something new if they like, but you are also having certain foods that you know they are already familiar with in case they are not the adventurous type.

Very good point, GB. It surprised me when I went to Europe that some wanted to find American type food wherever we went. I wanted to eat things I may never get a chance to try again or certainly not as often. I ate my way through 5 countries and came back 8 pounds thinner with a safety pin holding my slacks taut in the waist. We were on the move from daylight to midnight.

Last edited:
GB said:
You have gotten a lot of advice on this thread where people have said that if they visited Thailand they would want a traditional Thai breakfast and would really look forward to that. Something that needs to be kept in mind though is that this is coming from a group of foodies. The people on this site get excited about trying foods they have never experienced and they have (for the most part) an open mind.

This is not necessarily true of the majority of Americans. A lot of them will not venture outside their comfort zone when it comes to food. I think it is a great idea that you are giving them the opportunity to try something new if they like, but you are also having certain foods that you know they are already familiar with in case they are not the adventurous type.

I had thought about that as well. I think it is a good idea to do not knowing the adventurousness (is that a word?) of the guests.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom