Butter or Margarine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What brand of butter is everyone using????

This thread has made me aware of a very horrible over-sight on my part. I can’t believe I’ve been this dumb.....for so long.

I had always thought that there was either butter or margarine, and that margarine said it was margarine. I’ve really never given it any more thought than that. I mean none.

But, it seems that margarine these days is being passed off as a “spread”. Country Crock is a spread. Parkay, Imeprial, etc. Who the heck makes real butter these days?

I’ve got some investigating to do at the supermarket tonight. Dang.......that explains a few mishaps I’ve had in trying to cook with “butter”.:furious:

So what is it guys. What do you like better Butter or Margarine.

Im a butter dude all the way!!:mad:

What's margarine???

Seriously, the only thing I'll use margarine for is greasing the bottom of a cake pan. Other than that one use, all I have in this house and at work is butter.

I had always thought that there was either butter or margarine, and that margarine said it was margarine. I’ve really never given it any more thought than that. I mean none.

But, it seems that margarine these days is being passed off as a “spread”. Country Crock is a spread. Parkay, Imeprial, etc. Who the heck makes real butter these days?

I’ve got some investigating to do at the supermarket tonight. Dang.......that explains a few mishaps I’ve had in trying to cook with “butter”.:furious:
You bring up a pet peeve of mine. It happened a little in California but it happens all the time here in South Carolina. If it is yellow and you can spread it on bread, they call it butter. Drives me nuts. If I ask for butter, I want the wrapper to have the word "butter" on it. Also, in California (at least before I moved here) if a restaurant served margarine and you specifically asked for butter, they had to bring you butter. I don't think I have ever seen butter in a restaurant here.

When my diabetes counselor suggested margarine, I just about went nuts trying to figure them all out at the store. There are butter, butter blends, margarine, margarine blends, imitation margarine, oil spreads, and so on. I'll stick to butter. It tastes good and I know what it is.

:)Barbara

:)
What brand of butter is everyone using????

This thread has made me aware of a very horrible over-sight on my part. I can’t believe I’ve been this dumb.....for so long.

Get a container of Smart Balance it really is not bad for you just read the container.You will be pleasantly surprised by the taste.

Well, I stopped at a little corner grocery called Lucky’s…..it’s like Piggly Wiggly if you know that chain.

Of the 25 odd different “butters” they had available, there were only THREE real butters: Land-O-Lakes, Purity, and a generic brand called Best Choice. That’s it.

And it was all sticks. No tubs. Do they make real butter in tubs? I thought I read somewhere that they can if they whip extra air into it?

All the other brands, Shed’s Spread, Country Crock, Parkay, Imperial, Blue Bonnet, store brands, etc……all of them are margarine (by it’s strictest definition of being whipped oil with butter flavoring)! Even Land-O-Lakes had margarine sticks!

ALSO, real butter is FAR more expensive. One pound of Land-O-Lakes (four sticks) was 4.79!!!!! But a 3 pound tub of Country Crock with Calcium was 2.89! :shock:

I’m utterly flabbergasted. It’s like I just learned that Santa Claus doesn’t exist!

Anyway, I bought some Purity butter for 3.79. It’s in four sticks, and it is hard as rock! I tried scraping it, and it flaked into little pieces. I’m going to have to get a butter dish and leave this stuff out to soften up some. I tasted it, and oddly enough, it tasted slightly “greasier” than the Country Crock spread I’ve got. BUT, it did have a creamier texture. Yet, it had a slightly less powerful “buttery” taste than Country Crock.

Ingredients on the box are: Cream, salt.

That’s it. Interesting. I’m beginning to think I may have never had real butter before. I’ve never liked sticks (I don’t’ bake, and have no use for them), and it seems the majority of real butter comes in sticks. No wonder I’ve missed out on it.

This is simply unreal. This late in life, and I figure out what real butter is. What a trip!

Last edited:
:)
Get a container of Smart Balance it really is not bad for you just read the container.You will be pleasantly surprised by the taste.

I'll try that! But I just looked it up, and Smart Balance is technically a margarine (whipped oil with other ingredients). Next thing you know, someone is gonna' say the Tooth Fairy isn't real.............HUSH! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I'll try that! But I just looked it up, and Smart Balance is technically a margarine (whipped oil with other ingredients). Next thing you know, someone is gonna' say the Tooth Fairy isn't real.............HUSH! :LOL::ROFLMAO:[/quote
:)Yes but the point is its not bad for you in fact its good for you with no trans fatty acids with a good amount of Omega 3.It has also been endorsed by professional chefs for the taste.No hydrogenated oils,no gluten,no gelatine.
Try it you will like it.I have a friend who is a heart surgeon and he also uses it.Im not saying give up butter because I wont but its great on toast and as a substitute for baking recipes that call for margarine just dont get the light version you cant cook with it and it doesn't taste as good.I like to use butter for some things and the Smart Balance for others

:)Yes but the point is its not bad for you in fact its good for you with no trans fatty acids with a good amount of Omega 3.It has also been endorsed by professional chefs for the taste.No hydrogenated oils,no gluten,no gelatine.
Try it you will like it.I have a friend who is a heart surgeon and he also uses it.Im not saying give up butter because I wont but its great on toast and as a substitute for baking recipes that call for margarine just dont get the light version you cant cook with it and it doesn't taste as good.I like to use butter for some things and the Smart Balance for others

Ok, the next tub I get will be this! Thanks for the tip! Heck, I've got about 3/4 of a Country Crock tub that I might give to the neighbors and go get this!! :)

But what about real butter.......do they make that in tubs, or is that not the norm?

:)Butter in tubs is not the norm it comes in 4 sticks to make one pound or for restaurants in 1 pound blocks or course I think the best butter is made from raw milk where you skim off the thick cream layer on the top and make it yourself

So, everyone here that is saying they love "real butter" is only buying and using sticks?????? :wacko:

I want to hear from all the posters.....are you only using sticks and butter dishes?

Hey, Andy...anyone? Not too long ago. Maybe several months ago, someone posted a "whipped" butter formula that used real butter and canola oil. I've searched this site using all manner of terms and can't come up with it. Can anyone help? I thought it would be easy to find. Maybe the OP will come forward and help me. Thanks.

Hey, Andy...anyone? Not too long ago. Maybe several months ago, someone posted a "whipped" butter formula that used real butter and canola oil. I've searched this site using all manner of terms and can't come up with it. Can anyone help? I thought it would be easy to find. Maybe the OP will come forward and help me. Thanks.

There is this new offering from Country Crock.

I've seen it and tried it, keltin. One, it's expensive for what you get. One small container costs more than a whole pound of "real" butter and, two, it tastes like fish to me. I would much prefer to make my own. I just can't find the thread that discussed that.

HAH! Real butter is a trip! I just took a stick and made a Beurre Noisette for the fun of it. And the smell….wow….I remember that smell when I was growing up with my Grandma and she was cooking. THAT is the smell of real butter. What a trip! And it WORKED. You can’t do this with a margarine spread. I’m like a kid in a candy store.

Time to make some clarified butter!!!! Break out the next stick!

I've seen it and tried it, keltin. One, it's expensive for what you get. One small container costs more than a whole pound of "real" butter and, two, it tastes like fish to me. I would much prefer to make my own. I just can't find the thread that discussed that.

Thanks for the heads up Katie! I won't be trying that after all!!! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom