Butter or Margarine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Butter, at least its natural and it tastes far better than margarine.
You only need to read how margarine is made to realise its probably not the best thing to eat.
I figure why substitute something natural for some imitation trying to look and taste like the natural product.

So, everyone here that is saying they love "real butter" is only buying and using sticks?????? :wacko:

I want to hear from all the posters.....are you only using sticks and butter dishes?
:)Geez,Keltin what is so confusing?There is a difference between butter made with real cream and margarines or spreads made with oils unfortunatly most companies use the bad and plastic oils as it is really cheap.I still dont know what you are trying to ask.I believe like someone else said you can get whipped butter in a tub but real butter is in a stick or block form.Some people here are purists and use butter only rather than margarine until recently people thought margerine was better for you than butter as it was supposed to have no cholesteral but as it turns out margarine is loaded with a fake fat called transfat which turns out to be much worse for you than cholesteral(sp?)and the trans fat fats are every where in food products especially bakery items as it is way cheaper than real butter but also way worse for the body as it will clog your arteries much faster than a natural animal fat.So the new thinking is you are better off using real butter than the fake fats although butter is much more expensive but like I said before you can get some healthy spreads now that are good for you.

:)Geez,Keltin what is so confusing?There is a difference between butter made with real cream and margarines or spreads made with oils unfortunatly most companies use the bad and plastic oils as it is really cheap.I still dont know what you are trying to ask.I believe like someone else said you can get whipped butter in a tub but real butter is in a stick or block form.Some people here are purists and use butter only rather than margarine until recently people thought margerine was better for you than butter as it was supposed to have no cholesteral but as it turns out margarine is loaded with a fake fat called transfat which turns out to be much worse for you than cholesteral(sp?)and the trans fat fats are every where in food products especially bakery items as it is way cheaper than real butter but also way worse for the body as it will clog your arteries much faster than a natural animal fat.So the new thinking is you are better off using real butter than the fake fats although butter is much more expensive but like I said before you can get some healthy spreads now that are good for you.

I'm asking how many people, especially younger posters, made the mistake of thinking real butter comes in a tub and not a stick? Of the many, many, MANY households I've been to, I've not seen many stick users.

ETA: And most spreads today are made without trans fat and far less saturated fat than real butter has. But that is not the point......I want to know who else uses a "tub" and not a stick and thought they were using butter.

Last edited:
Butter, at least its natural and it tastes far better than margarine.
You only need to read how margarine is made to realise its probably not the best thing to eat.
I figure why substitute something natural for some imitation trying to look and taste like the natural product.

Actually, testing shows tonight that Country Crock, a spread, has a slightly more powerful “butter” taste than real butter. Also, it has 0 Trans Fat. Margarine is (often) oil from a vegetable that has been whipped with water (emulsified) and often has whey protein added. Nothing weird there.

That's amazing, keltin. My house has always had "stick" butter. When I was a child, I used to help my grandmother make "oleo." She would give me a sealed plastic one-pound package of some nearly-white colored substance that had a "dot" of red in the center. My job was to knead the package until the red was distributed into the oleo. After many, many minutes of kneading the red was melded into the oleo and it turned a lovely yellow, just like butter. That was a long, long time ago. Guess I'm giving away my age, but that's how things were then. My grandparents couldn't afford "real" butter so they did the best they could.

:)Well,I think some people just cant afford real butter it is pricey and some people grow up calling margarine butter.I like to use butter in my better dishes.I wish I had a milk cow then I could get great milk and make good butter and if I could get raw milk I could make some great cheeses as well but that would be alot of work in the long run.:)

All right! The calrified butter is looking nice. It’s done much the same as the Beurre Noisette, but no need to brown it as much. However, cooling needs to be done, and I’ve just strained it through a fine mesh strainer. I caught most of the separated whey proteins and it is now chilling in the fridge. Interested to know how this will taste compared to regular butter and Beurre Noisette. I wonder which is better on Popcorn or regular corn on the cob!!!

Last edited:
:)Well,I think some people just cant afford real butter it is pricey and some people grow up calling margarine butter.I like to use butter in my better dishes.I wish I had a milk cow then I could get great milk and make good butter and if I could get raw milk I could make some great cheeses as well but that would be alot of work in the long run.:)

I’m frugal, and I have to say, there was some sticker shock on real butter today. I saw $4.89 for 1 pound of butter, or $2.89 for THREE pounds of great tasting, no trans fat, Country Crock with yogurt! Hard choice….

BUT, I have just realized today, in this thread, that I have not been using real butter, and probably haven’t been around it (real butter) since I was knee high to a grass hopper when Grandma cooked with it.

I feel a bit ignorant about this……a bit embarrassed for not knowing the difference…….but now I am having fun with butter, and I want others to know that, if you’re using a “tub” and not a stick, then it probably ain’t butter. Who knew. Butter don’t come in tubs! If you’re a real butter user, then you’re using sticks!

Because of this, I’m thinking of getting one of these! Katie, how long will butter last on the counter top in one of these?

Also, butter manufacturers like Land-O-Lakes also a make stick version of margarine, so even buying a stick doesn’t guarantee you got butter. What a trip …….I’ve really learned a lot here in this thread!

:)I think you mean clarified butter and the beauty of this butter is you can cook with it at a higher temp like in Indian food and it has a long shelf life because you took the impurities out.

I grew up with stick butter. I use stick butter for my baking typically - especially pastry, can't do that with margarine. However for every day eating I use "Land O Lakes light butter" in the little plastic tub. I used to use margarine until I found out the issue with trans fat being far worse for you than the saturated fat/cholesterol in butter. There are a few margarines on the market that don't have the trans fat in them, but I tend to prefer the LOL light butter to the others.

:)I think you mean clarified butter and the beauty of this butter is you can cook with it at a higher temp like in Indian food and it has a long shelf life because you took the impurities out.

Yep, just caught that typo. Microsoft Word is good with the spell check.....but even though it is spelled correctly doesn't mean it was the right word! :LOL:

I’m frugal, and I have to say, there was some sticker shock on real butter today. I saw $4.89 for 1 pound of butter, or $2.89 for THREE pounds of great tasting, no trans fat, Country Crock with yogurt! Hard choice….

BUT, I have just realized today, in this thread, that I have not been using real butter, and probably haven’t been around it (real butter) since I was knee high to a grass hopper when Grandma cooked with it.

I feel a bit ignorant about this……a bit embarrassed for not knowing the difference…….but now I am having fun with butter, and I want others to know that, if you’re using a “tub” and not a stick, then it probably ain’t butter. Who knew. Butter don’t come in tubs! If you’re a real butter user, then you’re using sticks!

Because of this, I’m thinking of getting one of these! Katie, how long will butter last on the counter top in one of these?

Also, butter manufacturers like Land-O-Lakes also a make stick version of margarine, so even buying a stick doesn’t guarantee you got butter. What a trip …….I’ve really learned a lot here in this thread!

The butter crock you reference, keltin, is the same as the butter bell I told you about a few posts ago. As long as the water is changed regularly, the butter will last indefinitely. We've never had butter go bad in our bell.

Wow! Butter is high in your area. We usually pay only about $2 per pound for salted or unsalted butter. You gotta move.:LOL:

:)Exactly thats why I use butter for some things and Smart Balance for others there are times I prefer the healthy spread over the butter just because I like the taste.Just read your labels on your sticks as margarine also comes in sticks.Are you really confused now? Dont be embarrassed you only know what you know until you come right here to DC.

I grew up with stick butter. I use stick butter for my baking typically - especially pastry, can't do that with margarine. However for every day eating I use "Land O Lakes light butter" in the little plastic tub. I used to use margarine until I found out the issue with trans fat being far worse for you than the saturated fat/cholesterol in butter. There are a few margarines on the market that don't have the trans fat in them, but I tend to prefer the LOL light butter to the others.

Land-O-Lakes Light is technically a margarine.......more specifically, a blend. It starts with real butter and emulsifies oils into it. Either way, not real butter.

INGREDIENTS: Butter (Cream, Salt), Water*, Food Starch-Modified*, Contains Less Than 2% of Tapioca Maltodextrin*, Salt, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides*, Lactic Acid*, Potassium Sorbate* (Preservative), Sodium Benzoate* (Preservative), Xanthan Gum*, Natural Flavor* Vitamin A Palmitate*, Beta Carotene* (color).
*Ingredients not found in regular butter. CONTAINS: MILK​

:)Exactly thats why I use butter for some things and Smart Balance for others there are times I prefer the healthy spread over the butter just because I like the taste.Just read your labels on your sticks as margarine also comes in sticks.Are you really confused now? Dont be embarrassed you only know what you know until you come right here to DC.

DC has been an eye opener for me...but DANG, I got totally floored on this butter issue today! This is akin, seriously, to finding out Santa Claus doesn't exist. What an earth mover.....and I thought I knew something! :LOL:

The butter crock you reference, keltin, is the same as the butter bell I told you about a few posts ago. As long as the water is changed regularly, the butter will last indefinitely. We've never had butter go bad in our bell.

Wow! Butter is high in your area. We usually pay only about $2 per pound for salted or unsalted butter. You gotta move.:LOL:

Cool! I'm ordering one and am gonna try it! Thanks!

Both, it depends on what I am cooking. Though I do want to know why most say butter is better in terms of health vs margarine. I was under the impression that butter has a lot of cholestorol and salt, and margarine has healthy oils, less salt.

Land-O-Lakes Light is technically a margarine.......more specifically, a blend. It starts with real butter and emulsifies oils into it. Either way, not real butter.

INGREDIENTS: Butter (Cream, Salt), Water*, Food Starch-Modified*, Contains Less Than 2% of Tapioca Maltodextrin*, Salt, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides*, Lactic Acid*, Potassium Sorbate* (Preservative), Sodium Benzoate* (Preservative), Xanthan Gum*, Natural Flavor* Vitamin A Palmitate*, Beta Carotene* (color).
*Ingredients not found in regular butter. CONTAINS: MILK​

Yes I know, but it tastes more 'buttery' than any of the others I've tried. Plus at least it does say 'butter' on it. ;)

DC has been an eye opener for me...but DANG, I got totally floored on this butter issue today! This is akin, seriously, to finding out Santa Claus doesn't exist. What an earth mover.....and I thought I knew something! :LOL:

Now, now. You went from pryin' to medlin' :mad: Santa DOES exist. :rolleyes: How else do I explain all the wonderful things I get under my Christmas tree. Oh, Buck.......:wacko::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom