Chiles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

banshee

Assistant Cook
Hi again,

Not sure if I got the hang of this, so I will post my message again
I bought a "chilli growing kit " on the internet, :-pawhile ago and they are beautiful.
They are the world's hottest Chillies. I really like the white Habanero it can be dried and ground down to make " white fire sauce ".
The Chocolate Habanero is pretty good too. I don't think I will be eating the Jolokia though. It is over a million scoville units !.
They can give fruit for 9 months a year if kept warm and inside.
As most Chillies are imported by air it makes sense environmentally speaking to grow your own.

The hottest pepper in the world used to be the Red Savina Habanero, but it lost that claim about a year ago to another type of pepper from India, the name of which I can no longer remember.

Jenny, I believe the pepper it losts its claim to is the Bhut Jolokia that banshee mentioned above.

I was just coming back to amend my post after I looked it up.

I probably wouldn't eat them either. My red savinas lieterally blistered my lips.

The Naga Jolokia and subsequent Dorset Jolokia, and now my Tipton Jolokia are indeed Much hotter! :devilish:

in fact I sent BT some seeds last year.
we`re talking Weapons Grade stuff here! and one will put you in Hospital (it has actually done that several times too).

did you Know that Capsaicin is a Neuro-toxin?

Last edited:
I enjoy hot stuff, but I do not think I would want to try any of the Jolokia's. I would try it just out of curiosity, but I do not think I would enjoy it.

did you Know that Capsaicin is a Neuro-toxin?

Whoa! I knew it was a stimulant like caffiene, but not a neurotoxin! My BF is addicted to hot peppers. He can't get enough. I've never seen him break a sweat. It's not showing off, it really just doesn't bother him. He eats habaneros raw like apples on the side with dinner - seeds n all- if I don't make him spicy food. (I've mentioned that here before, but it's insane) So we grow habaneros for him. He tries roasting them to make them hotter. In order to make his food hot enough, I pretend that I'm playing a horrible trick on my worst enemy.. that's the only way I can bring myself to add 3-4 chopped habaneros to a dish of food that's supposed to serve 2 people. Once he caught me removing the seeds and he didn't talk to me for a day.

:wacko:Is he losing brain cells?

:blink:Will he be physically (or neurologically) hurt if I find him the Jolokia peppers?

I am definitely going to look for that chili grower, we never had the white or chocolate ones. Thanks for sharing!

Whoa! I knew it was a stimulant like caffiene, but not a neurotoxin! !

"Capsaicin is a neurotoxin that destroys small sensory neurons with unmyelinated axons, including a subpopulation of vagal sensory neurons. Capsaicin treatment attenuates suppression of food intake induced by systemic administration of cholecystokinin (CCK) but not by gastric distension. However, both gastric distension and intravascular CCK alter the discharge of dorsal hindbrain neurons by a vagal mechanism. Therefore, it is plausible that some hindbrain neurons receive convergent input from capsaicin-sensitive vagal neurons that are responsive to CCK and also from capsaicin-insensitive neurons that are responsive to gastric distension. "

Whatever that means.

:w00t2::w00t2:

well, as you probably already know myelin is a Coating on certain nerve types (a bit like the plastic insulation on a wire) it`s demise results in similar effects like "short circuits" in use that equates to lack of correct Motor control (think Parkinsons disease).
all our Spinal nerves are myelin coated.
there are Others however that are Not, because they don`t need to be (under Normal circumstances).
XXX Jolokia is far from "Normal" :D

Last edited:
"Capsaicin is a neurotoxin that destroys small sensory neurons with unmyelinated axons, including a subpopulation of vagal sensory neurons. Capsaicin treatment attenuates suppression of food intake induced by systemic administration of cholecystokinin (CCK) but not by gastric distension. However, both gastric distension and intravascular CCK alter the discharge of dorsal hindbrain neurons by a vagal mechanism. Therefore, it is plausible that some hindbrain neurons receive convergent input from capsaicin-sensitive vagal neurons that are responsive to CCK and also from capsaicin-insensitive neurons that are responsive to gastric distension. "

Whatever that means.

:w00t2::w00t2:

You sliver-tongued devil, you. I couldn't have said it better myself!

Whoa! I knew it was a stimulant like caffiene, but not a neurotoxin! My BF is addicted to hot peppers. He can't get enough. I've never seen him break a sweat. It's not showing off, it really just doesn't bother him.

The addiction is literally true ;) Eating hot peppers causes pain, which causes the brain to release endorphins, the pleasure hormones. The more you eat, the more you need to get the same effect. I'm on my way - I'm putting Texas Pete on my leftover spaghetti now :cool:

Once he caught me removing the seeds and he didn't talk to me for a day.

That's kinda weird :huh:

:wacko:Is he losing brain cells?

:blink:Will he be physically (or neurologically) hurt if I find him the Jolokia peppers?

It looks like capsaicin is used as a treatment for a variety of ills: site:mayoclinic.com Capsaicin - Google Search

I doubt it's hurting him.

it IS good for you, but like anything else, Too Much.....

well I`m sure you know the rest ;)

I hear ya, YT. It seems like the more I have, the more I want, though. The last couple of times I've been to my favorite Thai restaurant, I've asked for the special spicy sauces that are only served on request :-p And when I made pizza last night, I doctored up the jarred sauce with garlic, basil, oregano -- and crushed red peppers :)

I am currently addicted to red Thai peppers... holland or cayenne type.
They do short circuit my neurons.. the ones that control sweating from the
scalp, LOL!

They are just hot enough to be good without causing too much pain.
Gotta have flavor or the hot is a waste of time... and tears! ;)

Gotta have flavor or the hot is a waste of time... and tears! ;)

Therein Lays the REAL Truth!

if you dont like the flave or aroma, try a different type of Chili, no matter HOW "Hot" it is, if the best bit isn`t there, it`s no good!

Any idiot can make something stupidly HOT, it takes skill to get it Just-Right though ;)

Last edited:
This report (pages 3-4) tells about how a large dose of Capcaisin damages certain brain cells that are sensory receptors. That's why you can become desensitized. The damage is reversible, as the cells regenerate, but they don't reinnervate (To restore nerve function after it has been lost). High doses of capsaicin cause terminal degeneration, axon degeneration (axon: the fiber of a nerve cell that sends messages to the body) , and impaired nociception (activity in the nervous system that results from stimulating pain receptors).

So, it sounds to me like the real damage is: Capcaisin kills the cells responsible for making you feel the effects of the capcaisin, which in turn increases your ability to tolerate the capcasin. So anything to which you can gain a tolerance must be a neurotoxin, because the tolerance is achieved through the destruction of sensory brain cells...:wacko:

Back
Top Bottom