Christmas Day supper, 2021-12-25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
We already had our special Yuletide supper on the Solstice. Tonight for supper, we had store bought tourtière with homemade gravy, leftover rice pilaf, and rødål. We tried a new, local red wine. It was wine. It was enjoyable, but not more than that.

Tourtière, rice pilaf, and rødkål.jpg

No photo today but...

I cooked a boneless ribeye roast to a perfect medium rare using the reverse sear method. Also, we had lyonnaise potatoes and asparagus with hollandaise. My older daughter brought a huge platter of homemade cookies for dessert.

Our grandson really liked his gifts. He actually wanted a record player! We got him one and an album on his wish list.

All around, it as a great day

Dinner is long gone, but I baked yukon gold and sweet potatoes and made a tossed salad. Dh grilled ribeye's from Omaha Steaks. And we had another round of sour cream coffee cake. We had a delightful day.

Seeing as we had our Christmas dinner a couple of days ago and the Christmas Eve dinner was all appies, last night was a simple plate of yummy leftovers. Mashers, green beans, ham and LOTS of stuffing/dressing.

Wish I'd remembered, in Quebec Tourtierrre is a traditional Christmas Eve meal. Everyone makes their own, they gift them and visit on Christmas Eve to indulge. I was never a big fan having only had store bought but then I had a couple of homemade recipes! Beautiful!
This one of those recipes for which there is a different authentic recipe for each family that makes them. LOL
I actually made some last year and should have this year... so New Years' coming up, maybe I'll get some in yet.

Christmas brunch - kalamata olives, green olives, candied pecans, dried cherries, prosciutto wrapped melon, blue cheese, brie, smoked Gouda, port wine cheese spread, Gouda, prosciutto, sopressata, pepperoni, sour cherry spread, fig spread, fruit and bread. A glass of Sparkling Apple Cranberry Cider.

Christmas dinner - baked potato (butter, sour cream and chives), eye round roast, steamed baby spinach, Yorkshire pudding and burgundy pan gravy. Sparkling Apple Cranberry Cider and Riunite Lambrusco.

christmas_brunch_122521_1_IMG_9067.jpg

christmas_brunch_122521_2_IMG_9071.jpg

christmas_dinner_122521_IMG_9073.jpg

Last edited:
Made some Veggie Spring rolls, Mushroom Yuba rolls in addition to veggie chow mien and veggie won ton soup take in.
Pic is of the home made Veggie Spring Rolls

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 9.16.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 9.16.19 AM.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 24
Made some Veggie Spring rolls, Mushroom Yuba rolls in addition to veggie chow mien and veggie won ton soup take in.
Pic is of the home made Veggie Spring Rolls

They look wonderful. Can you please post your recipe?

They look wonderful. Can you please post your recipe?

https://fortheloveofcooking.net/2009/04/baked-vegetable-egg-rolls.html

the above is the original recipe I started with. I've been making them for years ( and straying from the writer recipe, not that it is bad, just little tweaks here and there and also depends what's in the house). Below are my personal tweaks of the recipe.

1 - I usually use cabbage (doesnt have to be savoy , bu could be), carrots, shiitake mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- Cabbage shredded as if I were making sauerkraut
- Carrots grated (medium grate, moisture squeezed out)
- Shittake thinly sliced
- Water chestnuts, a fine dice.
**On occasion Ill add the bean sprouts, but I dont feel they add too much**
**Same with green onions, sometimes I add, some times I dont**

2 - I don't add ginger, corn starch or soy sauce. I've personally found the simpler, the better.

3 - As it says in the directions on he website, jus fry up till veggies start to wilt a little bit, Still some crispness, not mushy.

4 - Fold as hey suggest, keeping them more blintz shaped than egg rolled shape. When you bake them, you flip them 1/2 way, and you'll get more surface area to be crispy if it has sizes rather than tube shaped .

5 - Spray or lightly brush pan and tops of rolls with oil. before baking. I also give a quick spray after flipping.

6 - Pay attention to time, was all ovens vary. I think I do 10 minutes, flip, then another 8. After flipping, I turn the baking sheet 180 degrees then put it back, as the back of my oven heats up a little more than he side by the door. everyone knows their own oven, so just be mindful of time and cooking evenness. Only once have I burned them. ( The ones in the pic probably would have burned if I gave them one more minute).

7 - These are the type of things that a need to go in the oven after constructing them as the egg roll sheets will get soggy if wait too long.

***They actually freeze and reheat well. Im actually going to try and reheat in the air fryer and see how that goes. usually I just reheat by baking, which works well too***

https://fortheloveofcooking.net/2009/04/baked-vegetable-egg-rolls.html

the above is the original recipe I started with. I've been making them for years ( and straying from the writer recipe, not that it is bad, just little tweaks here and there and also depends what's in the house). Below are my personal tweaks of the recipe.

1 - I usually use cabbage (doesnt have to be savoy , bu could be), carrots, shiitake mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- Cabbage shredded as if I were making sauerkraut
- Carrots grated (medium grate, moisture squeezed out)
- Shittake thinly sliced
- Water chestnuts, a fine dice.
**On occasion Ill add the bean sprouts, but I dont feel they add too much**
**Same with green onions, sometimes I add, some times I dont**

2 - I don't add ginger, corn starch or soy sauce. I've personally found the simpler, the better.

3 - As it says in the directions on he website, jus fry up till veggies start to wilt a little bit, Still some crispness, not mushy.

4 - Fold as hey suggest, keeping them more blintz shaped than egg rolled shape. When you bake them, you flip them 1/2 way, and you'll get more surface area to be crispy if it has sizes rather than tube shaped .

5 - Spray or lightly brush pan and tops of rolls with oil. before baking. I also give a quick spray after flipping.

6 - Pay attention to time, was all ovens vary. I think I do 10 minutes, flip, then another 8. After flipping, I turn the baking sheet 180 degrees then put it back, as the back of my oven heats up a little more than he side by the door. everyone knows their own oven, so just be mindful of time and cooking evenness. Only once have I burned them. ( The ones in the pic probably would have burned if I gave them one more minute).

7 - These are the type of things that a need to go in the oven after constructing them as the egg roll sheets will get soggy if wait too long.

***They actually freeze and reheat well. Im actually going to try and reheat in the air fryer and see how that goes. usually I just reheat by baking, which works well too***

Thank you for the recipe and your notes.

Anytime!
Let me know how hey come out ( and any additional changes you may have made. Im always looking to mix things up a bit).

Larry, you should post the recipe in it's own thread in the appropriate food sub-forum so it doesn't get lost in a dinner thread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom