Christmas Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Am I missing something here? What are YOU having today? I'm lucky, it is my friend's turn to cook (I did Thanksgiving) and we're having prime rib with all the trimmings, British style (my contribution is a boozy, light, trifle). Life is good!

"Merry Christmas", We are having prime rib too, son bought a 9lb.one !(5-adults, 9 & 2yr.old),sauteed mushrooms in a burgundy sauce, twice baked potatoes, corn, crusty bread and Derby pie for dessert. Starting first w/shrimp cocktail!:santa:

Looks like it's a prime rib year!! We are also having it. Plus crab/shrimp stuffed baked tatoes and upside down pumpkin cake.

A few little hot buttered rums and have not decided on a appy yet - guess I'd better get my whatever in gear and figure that out. Do have some Raclette left, so probably do something with that, hmmmmmmm

Happy grazing everyone!!

Normally we do a prime rib, this year it is seafood (which I adore).

Shrimp cocktail, fried scallops, lobsters stuffed with crabmeat and baked. OK, will make baked taters to serve with the lobsters.

Maybe will do a standing rib for New Year's. The best part in my opinion is the Yorkshire pud.

But Yorkshire pud does not go with lobster.

I've tried to figure out some way to do it with the seafood, but nah. Rats.

Oh well, auntdot will just have to deal with it, somehow.

Merry Christmas y'all.

We had baked Ham, Venison, Turkey, Chicken and Pork with yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and Kumera,broccoli and cabbage followed by trifle, ice cream and peaches.
Plus all the other bits and pieces. Totally awesome day with all the family - 3 children and partners, 11 grandchildren - some with partners and various friends.

Prime rib is what I wanted! All your menus sound so good! I got outvoted though! I am making our traditional stuffed shells, meatballs, brochiolle, sausage and salad. Merry Christmas everyone!

Prime rib, shrimp stuffed baked spuds, Yorkshire pud, brandied mushrooms, garlic/cheese bread, carrots in a butter-dill sauce, tossed garden salad and dessert is whatever candy or cookies I made earlier this week.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas - and as for me I am having Christmas Dinner at my best friend Sandy's house. I will probably leave here about 3:30PM because I don't want too much traffic on the 405 Freeway and arrive there around 4PM.

She has asked everyone to be there at 5PM but I like to talk to Sandy and her sister Shirley and play with her dog Shalom.

When's dinner?

For the noon meal, I had a frozen pizza. Dinner @ SIL's should be decent, but I don't know what all will be there. Some of the IL's have unique tastes . . . . :huh:

Oven Roasted (brined) turkey breast...Pork tenderloin browned and finished in the oven with pan juice/butter/a wee bit of Marsala.
Cornbread dressing....
Candied sweet potatoes/orange glaze
Green Bean Casserole
Asparagus Casserole (by special request)
Homemade rolls...
Chocolate fantasy cake....Pecan pie
Coffee/Chicory with TNT Irish cream Ala Michele Marie
Various wines.....

All are stuffed!!!!!

This is one of two years (hopefully not more) that we will look back on years from now, smile and say, "Do you remember those two Christmases years ago when we had TV dinners the one year and fried [store brand] Spam cooked in the crockpot with lima beans and onion, and corn bread the next year?" It's not prime rib (yum!) or turkey, or the new tradition we started where we drive until we find a great restaurant, but our house is warm and cozy, we are healthy, and the food in the crockpot smells really good right now, so this is a good Christmas.

:) Barbara

Last edited:
With my hun being in town, and being of Polish decent(hold the jokes!), I did my version of a Polish Dinner, with a twist. Smoked Chedder an Jalapeno Pierogies with Curried Candied Onions, and braised Polish Sausage with spicy bell pepper and Vidalia "kraut". Was pretty tasty.

We enjoyed a prime rib with au jus and horsradish, garlic mashed potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, spinach salad with red onion, bacon, dried cranberries and chunks of foccacia with a sweet vinegrette, small crossants, artichokes with garlic,parsley sauteed in evoo and butter, and sacher torte for dessert..Everyone is stuffed, and Cade and Carson are now playing with toys as adults sit back and relax...
kadesma;)

Right now I feel like the STUFFED Christmas turkey! LOL We had baked ham, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato crunch, rolls. Desserts I made pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and DH an apple pie. It was a very nice Christmas dinner. Hope everyone had a wonderful day with family and friends. Only 371 more days and we get to do this all again. :LOL:

Today being boxing day in Australia, we had left overs from yesterdays fantastic meal, and we get to enjoy it more because there are no in-laws to complicate things.
Must hide the brandy and dilute the egg nog next year.

Really though xmas day was lots of fun, and I am looking forward to doing it all again next xmas.

Tenderloin, a version of scalloped potatoes, roasted beets and carrots dressed with walnut oil, other veggies, salad of mesclun with diced persimmon, pomegranate seeds, red onion and pine nuts. Winner desserts--chocolate mousse cake and limoncello cheesecake.

after all of the food we bought, we ended up having an absolutely delicious ham. it wasn't too salty, but it was extremely tender and moist.

dw had invited a friend who had no where to go over for dinner. he's a big guy, so we loaded up on snacks, cheese, and fruit as well. then he cancelled because he was sick.

so, i'd better start eating.

we still have flounder, a rib roast, and kielbasa thay will need to be cooked or frozen in the next few days.

i'm craving that ham. it will be dinner tonight.

Last edited:
Mine was a total Flop!

The 1`st flop in 10 Christmases with my wife, the Turkey was dry and the meat was Bruised and had freezer burn (it looked like Road kill) so that`s the 1`st and last time I buy from That Butcher again (it was also half a pound underweight).
the stuffing balls didn`t taste at all good to me (the wife didn`t notice though) so I`m not trying That particular sausage meat again either.
the Roast potatoes DID turn out perfect though and the gravy tasted great but wasn`t quite as thick as I`de have liked it, the Sprouts were perfect too, but the wife complained (as usual) coz she likes them Mushy and I don`t, we have that particular arg every year anyway.

on a scale of 1 to 10, it would get a 3

Lord knows what went wrong this year, I`ve made better Sunday dinners than this without even Trying!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry YT2 -don't be too hard on yourself-I bet everything tasted good! I'm with you, I don't like mushy veggies.

My dinner turned out pretty good - I ended up having a tray of shells to freeze and sent one home with my sister's family and 1/2 tray home for mom and dad - no leftovers in the fridge -they would go to waste, inlaws are into pasta. Everything tasted good too. All in all, a success.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom